Riding Sail - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-14-2015 Thread Starter

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Riding Sail

Chris Parker forecasted 20 gusting 25 yesterday, so thought I'd try the riding sail here in Big Majors Spot in the Bahamas. I recorded the true and the apparent wind, both speed and direction. I also put a dynamometer on the anchor snubber to monitor the pull on the anchor. The riding sail was set on the backstay and sheeted to the port staysail lead block then back to a cabin top winch. The triangular sail is about 6'-6" along the backstay and 7'-6" on its foot. The water was almost calm in this protected spot.

Here are the recordings:

I put the riding sail up at about the 45 minute mark, had some trouble with the hoist until the 40 minute mark, then all was well.

The riding sail cut the swing in relation to the wind from +/- 30 degrees to +/- 15 degrees, and maybe half of that was due to the true wind variation.

The force on the anchor did not seem to change much, but I had to stand on the bow to read the dynamometer dial, and I quickly tired of doing that. The average force was perhaps 80 lbf and the maximum (the gauge has a tell tale) was 195 lbf.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
johnharch (03-15-2015), MedSailor (03-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-14-2015
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Re: Riding Sail

Fascinating information. I take it things are a little slow where you are. : )

Capt Tony
post #3 of 25 Old 03-14-2015 Thread Starter

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
I take it things are a little slow where you are. : )
Actually, I've been quite busy today. Between long periods of taking in the view and resting, I swam down to look at the anchor, took a saltwater bath, read a little, had a beer... That sort of stuff. Right now I'm waiting for 5 o'clock to have a G&T.

Slow best describes the group that just flew in and out in a Cessna 208 (a ten seater) on floats. They taxied over to the beach and spent a half hour feeding the pigs. I'm from East Tennessee. If you go to that much trouble and expense just to feed pigs, you're really having a slow day.

Got to run.

Bill Murdoch
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
johnharch (03-15-2015)

post #4 of 25 Old 03-14-2015
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Darn. I wish I was that busy.

Capt Tony
post #5 of 25 Old 03-14-2015

Very interesting. It looks like your riding sail is fairly effective in dampening the swing. I've thought about rigging one, but never came up with a good plan. Can you give any more information about its construction and deployment? How is attached to the back stay? Does the foot run parallel with the deck? What material did you use for the sail cloth? What would you do to improve it?

When I anchor in 20 knots, I swing all over the place.

John
PSC 34, '91
post #6 of 25 Old 03-14-2015
Glad I found Sailnet

This past summer, I made a "block" part way up the backstay using a piece of rope and a knot similar to a prussic knot. The line that tightened it had a loop in it. I slid it up into position using 2 dock poles taped together for extra reach. I had it pre-strung with a halyard before doing so.

That setup worked really well. We have a cleat on the backstay 12" above head level, so that served to secure the halyard at the bottom. the halyard was tied into a big loop, so there was no way it could get unthreaded from the top loop.

When not in use, we kept the riding sail connected, but rolled-up and lashed to the backstay.

To raise, run the riding sail's "sheet" loosely to the winch on the mast. Un-lash the sail from the backstay. Loosen the halyard on the cleat, raise the halyard. Cleat firmly in place. Then tighten the "sheet" on the winch on the mast.

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bene505 For This Useful Post:
johnharch (03-15-2015)
post #7 of 25 Old 03-15-2015 Thread Starter

Here is a photo.

The sail is tacked to the stern rail with two short pieces of 3/8" line; one to the top of the stern rail to port and one to the outboard motor bracket on the rail to starboard. It is hoisted on the main halyard. The clew sheet is run forward to the staysail lead block then back to the port side cabin top winch. There are two jib hanks on the sail; one at the head and one at the tack. They are clipped to the backstay. Tacking the sail to the stern rail solves some interference problems with the HF antenna lead-in wire and its standoffs that run along the lower part of the backstay and takes some load off the backstay.

I bought the sail new from a Florida sailmaker on ebay. It was cheaper than I could buy the cloth. It is triple stitched zigzag, taped on all three edges, reinforced at all three corners, and with webbing loops at all three corners.

The real hero here is the software that does the graphing. It allows objective evaluation of the sail's performance. It's NavMonPC by Paul Elliott and Dirk Lison.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
34crealock (03-19-2015), johnharch (03-15-2015)
post #8 of 25 Old 03-15-2015

Great, thanks Bill. The picture tells it all. Now I can add one more item to my ever expanding project list.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-15-2015
Old as Dirt!

For what it's worth, we have found the Banner Bay Fin Delta to be a great improvement over a traditional flat riding sail.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #10 of 25 Old 03-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For what it's worth, we have found the Banner Bay Fin Delta to be a great improvement over a traditional flat riding sail.
I've got one of those, too. But, I haven't got it out of the box yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how much it stops my boat from tacking at anchor.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in