Divider in the chain locker on a PSC 34 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2015 Thread Starter
Mondofromredondo

Divider in the chain locker on a PSC 34

I am currently getting ready to install a new Lighthouse windlass on my PSC 34.
As I tend to anchor in fairly deep anchorages in Southern California I will probably carry 300' of 5/16 chain. My locker has a divider in the middle. I plan on carrying chain for only one anchor in this locker so I do not see the need for this divider. I know of one individual who has removed this divider with no problems afterwards. My thought is the chain will drop down the hawse hole and stack and fall more easily without this divider. Any input would be appreciated. Also is there a drain from the locker down into the bilge at the bottom of the locker?

Much Thanks !

Keith Campbell
S/V Charity Rose
'88 PSC 34'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2015

Re: Divider in the chain locker on a PSC 34

Here's an alternative. We put as much chain as will fit in the port bin (hand fed) first, then the rest goes into the bigger starboard bin. As it works out, we rarely get into the "reserve" bin. We keep 200 feet of 3/8" which is the same weight and probably similar volume (?) to 300 feet of 5/16". We fit about 60 feet in the reserve bin. You would fit more, of course. When we do have to use the reserve, it's no big deal re-stowing it in the two bins upon weighing, certainly not as big a deal as cutting out that divider. Different story if you are single handing, though.

Yes, the locker does drain to the bilge.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 s/v Swan

Last edited by DaveMancini; 03-20-2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Error
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2015 Thread Starter
Mondofromredondo

Dave,

That sounds like a good plan. I'll try the alternate route before I start doing surgery on the chain locker. I'm looking forward to beginning the install. Recieved 2 40' lengths of 2/0 wire yesterday. They look like garden hoses. 50 lbs and $450.00. Trick will be fishing them under the caprail to the chain locker.

Best Regards!

Keith Campbell
S/V Charity Rose
'88 PSC 34'

post #4 of 10 Old 03-21-2015

Good luck with that. I can confirm that it's doable because I still have the wire run that ran the electric windlass that came with our boat when we bought it. We replaced it with the manual one we still have after eight years. It goes up the port side under the deck the whole way. Piece of cake for an old pro like yourself.

Dave
post #5 of 10 Old 03-21-2015 Thread Starter
Mondofromredondo

Old Yes !
Pro No

Keith Campbell
S/V Charity Rose
'88 PSC 34'
post #6 of 10 Old 03-21-2015

Its interesting that Dave replaced an electric windlass with a manual.I've always preferred a manual windlass for it's simplicity and reliability when cruising.Is that your reasoning Dave?
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
post #7 of 10 Old 03-22-2015

Exactly! Yes. Most are very simple and practically bulletproof. Ours is a Muir vertical, very fast, simple and easy to maintain.

Dave
post #8 of 10 Old 03-25-2015

Our anchor locker has two different seperators.. A very robust fiberglassed to the hull short segment and an easy to remove plywood part. I removed the plywood in the photo, you can see it lying down on the starboard side of the locker. I needed to climb in there to remove and rebed the bow pulpit and windlass.. There is a drainage area from what I can determine.. Fair amount of chain locker flotsam blocking the way presently and I believe there is some mesh that is doing its best from letting the flotsam cause trouble...I'll get the shop vac in there soon..
Nate, Athenry psc34 #89
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-26-2015 Thread Starter
Mondofromredondo

Thanks for that Nate,

My PSC is of a similar setup. I didn't realize it but it seems the added vertical bolted on board is a common addition or feature from the factory as I have the same board. I think I'd be reluctant to remove or cut into the glassed in member as I'm sure it provides a certain degree of strength to the bow but I hadn't really seen how much the locker opens up without that vertical board. that helps alot !!!

Thanks again !

Keith Campbell
S/V Charity Rose
'88 PSC 34'
post #10 of 10 Old 03-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateinmaine View Post
Our anchor locker has two different seperators.. A very robust fiberglassed to the hull short segment and an easy to remove plywood part. I removed the plywood in the photo, you can see it lying down on the starboard side of the locker. I needed to climb in there to remove and rebed the bow pulpit and windlass.. There is a drainage area from what I can determine.. Fair amount of chain locker flotsam blocking the way presently and I believe there is some mesh that is doing its best from letting the flotsam cause trouble...I'll get the shop vac in there soon..
Nate, Athenry psc34 #89
Our configuration on Jo Beth is the same, as would be expected. We also built and installed a plywood divider but have recently removed it since we've decided to carry only a Rocna at the bow and a fortress on the stern rail. The divider worked well when had two anchors, a CQR and Bruce, on the bow.

As an aside, one of the biggest improvements we made to the chain locker was to add an old piece of Eisenglass vinyl just inside the doors, and to barrel bolt the locker doors. This kept the forward part of the V-berth noticeably warmer and drier.

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in