Tender for PS37/Crealock 37? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-20-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Tender for PS37/Crealock 37?

I think this has been discussed before, but I can't find it. My apologies.

I am looking for suggestions on getting a new tender/dinghy for my PS37.

The tender I have now, a hard-bottom RIB, is excellent. It rows nicely, is quite stable for a tiny boat, is OK under power, and I can launch/recover it by myself (with some huffing and puffing) However, the hard bottom means that it must be kept on deck, and I think it's heavier than a tender with an inflatable bottom.

I want something I can deflate and stow in front of the mast or down below. Any suggestions?

I would also welcome tricks for launching (and recovering) a tender from the PS37. There was a time when I lifted mine level with hoisting straps, like one sees in the sailing textbooks. But I have stopped doing that because it requires inverting it first for launching or, when recovering, putting the hard bottom on the foredeck first before inverting it for storage. The latter requires placing cushions to protect the deck, which ain't easy when I'm alone and the wind is blowing and/or the boat is rolling. I have found that it's easier to lift it by the side (attaching the halyard to a line strung along the side of the tender), then drop it into the water on its side when launching or drop it on the side deck when recovering. Is that how others do it?

Last edited by Lantau; 04-20-2015 at 02:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2015
Crealock 37

Dock
Re: Tender for PS37/Crealock 37?

We have an Achilles 8'8" inflatable with wood panel floor. I stow it upside down between the mast and inner stay.

I use the towing bridle to hoist by attaching one end of it to the stern and lift the dink "on edge" to launch or recover. It's light enough that we can just throw it over the lifeline if we choose to.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2015
SV Skalliwag #141

I have a Highfield UL 240 aluminum bottom. 59 lbs. I deploy same as Sailak.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I have a Highfield UL 240 aluminum bottom. 59 lbs. I deploy same as Sailak.
Mine is an 8-1/2 foot Aquapro that is advertised as being 75 pounds. It's too heavy to just chuck overboard. It's excellent for what it is; the aluminum bottom is very sturdy, and it fits nicely behind the staysail stay. But when I go offshore (or don't need it), I'd like to put the tender down below. My boat just feels bigger to me with the entire foredeck free to use. I'm sure it's a bit safer that way. And occasionally the staysail sheets get snagged on the tender, which of course only happens at the worst times...
post #5 of 10 Old 05-26-2015

We use an 8' PortaBote and stow it on the port side-deck, folded when not in use. We LOVE that it's nearly indestructible, stows neatly out of the way and we can put it together and have it in the water in under 10 minutes! There are a couple downsides - it's not quite heavy enough to tow behind during heavy weather (it can catch air easily!) - it should come standard with a heavier tow-bridle attachment and the oar-locks are horribly undersized. But, those problems can all be overcome with a few small modifications. Overall we wouldn't go back!

-David & Lang S/V Sapphire
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ante2ope View Post
We use an 8' PortaBote and stow it on the port side-deck, folded when not in use. We LOVE that it's nearly indestructible, stows neatly out of the way and we can put it together and have it in the water in under 10 minutes! There are a couple downsides - it's not quite heavy enough to tow behind during heavy weather (it can catch air easily!) - it should come standard with a heavier tow-bridle attachment and the oar-locks are horribly undersized. But, those problems can all be overcome with a few small modifications. Overall we wouldn't go back!

-David & Lang S/V Sapphire
Thanks for this David and Lang.

Indeed, there's a dealer of these things here, and I have been planning to go take a look. He wants big money for them, however, even this little one.

Is it possible to stow the folding boat down below during passages? I would worry that there would be great stress on the stanchions and lifelines when waves hit it on the side deck.

Could you share a photo of the tender folded up on deck? I assume that you assemble it on the foredeck.

Thanks again, and thanks to others for helpful replies.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2015

Lang and I are strictly inland Salish Sea sailors for now and haven't had to worry much about such things but yes, it could be stored in the Quarterberth for passages.

Sadly I am unable to post pictures until I have at least 10 posts.... unbelievable, but whatever. I'll post a pic up once I "qualify".
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ante2ope View Post
We use an 8' PortaBote and stow it on the port side-deck, folded when not in use. We LOVE that it's nearly indestructible, stows neatly out of the way and we can put it together and have it in the water in under 10 minutes! There are a couple downsides - it's not quite heavy enough to tow behind during heavy weather (it can catch air easily!) - it should come standard with a heavier tow-bridle attachment and the oar-locks are horribly undersized. But, those problems can all be overcome with a few small modifications. Overall we wouldn't go back!-David & Lang S/V Sapphire
David: Coincidentally, while sailing yesterday another boat passed nearby towing a portabote with an outboard motor attached. It was being towed VERY close to the stern of the sailboat -- less than the portabote's length away. The wind was up to 20 knots at times with some sea, so hardly heavy weather, but maybe this technique helps when towing this tender (?). Just thought I'd pass that on.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2015

I have a 9' zodiac with a wooden floor. My 37' is rigged as a cutter with the staysail on a roller, therefore no room to store inflated dinghy on deck. I deflate, put it in its bag and store on deck. Also have 9hp outboard which is overkill.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortenoSailor View Post
I have a 9' zodiac with a wooden floor. My 37' is rigged as a cutter with the staysail on a roller, therefore no room to store inflated dinghy on deck. I deflate, put it in its bag and store on deck. Also have 9hp outboard which is overkill.
My tender is a tad shorter than yours and fits behind the staysail stay (see picture). I have it propped on a stool to keep it horizontal. It has gone thousands of miles this way, but I would prefer a boat like yours that folds up, and is light and soft enough to toss over the side (cannot do that with mine because it has a hard bottom).

Zodiacs always remind me of watching Jacques Cousteau on TV as a kid.

2004 PS37
Attached Thumbnails
Tender on deck.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in