Adding Fuel Capacity - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-04-2015 Thread Starter

Adding Fuel Capacity

I am considering adding fuel capacity to my PS37.
Has anyone in our group done this? How did you do it? Where did you locate the tank(s) and fill pipe? How about the fuel lines? What are the issues that you encountered?

David Howes

S/V Margalo
PS 37
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2015
Banned

Re: Adding Fuel Capacity

I have a rectangular 26 gallon SS tank under the forward berth. (You could easily fit in a larger one if you want to get one made that's shaped like the hull.) Filler cap is on the port deck beside the forward water tank fill, with the vent nearby at the top of the topsides. (I keep it all closed except when filling.) I never fill from the main tank fill anymore; I simply fill the fwd tank and let the fuel drain into the main tank. A dedicated electric fuel gauge is beside the forward vanity seat.

I would recommend a custom-made tank that allows you to maximize use of space. There's loads of space around my tank that I can't access easily.

There's a debate about how much weight to put up forward. I have both the extra fuel tank and forward water tank, and two anchors, and lots of chain. If anything, the boat is still stern heavy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantau For This Useful Post:
dhhowes (05-14-2015)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-04-2015
Crealock 37

Dock

I have a 37 gallon aluminum tank under the v-berth, fill portside next to water fill. My tanks are plumbed to a manifold in the after engine room, not able to fill one from the other as Lantau mentioned.

I too have 2 anchors on bowsprit, one is all chain so a lot of weight in bow but she squats just a bit stern down.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailak For This Useful Post:
dhhowes (05-14-2015)

post #4 of 7 Old 05-04-2015
Banned

Hopefully you'll get more replies on different options, but based on my setup and that of Sailak, you might consider a hybrid: put in the larger tank like Sailak (it's just a matter of cutting a bigger hole in the fwd berth) and then plumb it like my boat: run a line to the main tank. That way it's easy to drain fuel, as desired, from fwd tank. It goes without saying that I have an on/off valve on the fwd tank.

Then again, if you want to spend more money, you could have completely separate fuel-supply systems. In this you could even have separate fuel filters, making the systems independent right up to the engine. If one system gets contaminated in some way, you switch over to the other -- assuming you haven't already used the fuel in it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantau For This Useful Post:
dhhowes (05-14-2015)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2015
Crealock 37

Dock

Mine is set up as seperate systems. After the manifold to select the desired tank I have a selectable dual filter Racor assembly.

I burn off the bow tank first but I have to leave enough to feed the Espar cabin heater since it isn't able to draw off of the keel tank.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailak For This Useful Post:
dhhowes (05-14-2015)
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you all. As in so many of these conversations, it is a question of balancing several trade-offs. It seems as though avoiding jerry cans of fuel lashed to the lifelines is worth the effort!
David Howes
S/V Margalo
PS 37
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2015

I have a 30 odd gallon fuel bladder if you are ninth rested in buying.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in