SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Storm trysail for PS37/Crealock 37 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/201186-storm-trysail-ps37-crealock-37-a.html)

Lantau 05-12-2015 11:45 PM

Storm trysail for PS37/Crealock 37

Does anyone have actual experience using a storm trysail on a Pacific Seacraft 37/Crealock 37? If so, what's your advice on the sail setup: size, dimensions, sheeting arrangements, type of slides (is plastic OK?), etc.?

I asked my sail maker for the design of a trysail of 66 sq. ft. total, which I think is what Crealock recommended. The sail maker has come up with these dimensions:

5.0 meter luff, 2.54m foot, 5.54m leech.

Does anyone know if these dimensions are about right? I wonder if the foot should be longer, with a shorter luff, to keep forces lower down. The foot will have to be well above my boat's boom to clear the mainsail in the lazy bag.

I realize that there's a debate about whether to carry a trysail at all, whether a third reef is better, etc. I'm not asking about that stuff, but feel free to share ideas.

I have two reefs and by the time the wind hits 30kts I'm thinking about a trysail a lot...

Many thanks.

sailak 05-13-2015 12:17 AM

Re: Storm trysail for PS37/Crealock 37

I have a trysail for my 37. I don't know the dimensions off hand but I'm heading to the boat tomorrow for 10 days. I've never used it so I need to figure out sheeting and should be able to get measurements and a pic of mine hoisted for you to compare with.

Lantau 05-13-2015 01:56 AM

Thanks Sailak. Ten days sailing in Alaska. Some people have all the fun.

If you have mainsail lazyjacks, I'd like to know how the trysail works when it presses against the lazyjack lines, as I assume it will do on a starboard tack even when sheeted in very tightly (assuming your trysail track is on the starboard side of the mast, as it is on my boat). It may be necessary to ease the lazyjack lines (???), but then they'd be flopping around in strong winds. I reveal my ignorance.

niftynickers 05-14-2015 10:56 PM

I have lazyjacks and a trisail on NiftyNickers--If you are down to storm tri then your main should be either lashed down tight or better yet removed from the boom.and the boom should be securely lashed down.The lazy jacks should be tightly secured to the mast or removed.The storm tri luff is secured at the mast base ,the foot is loose and the outhaul is sheeted to the starboard main sheet winch.I have only rigged this once in 20 yrs and that was practice--never want to "have to rig"

good luck,

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

killarney_sailor 05-15-2015 07:28 AM

I have a trysail (and a storm jib) on a Bristol 45.5. In 35K miles I have never even thought about the need to use the trysail. Seems to me that the money and space on the boat could be used better for other purposes.

Lantau 05-19-2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niftynickers (Post 2785962)
I have lazyjacks and a trisail on NiftyNickers--If you are down to storm tri then your main should be either lashed down tight or better yet removed from the boom.and the boom should be securely lashed down.The lazy jacks should be tightly secured to the mast or removed.The storm tri luff is secured at the mast base ,the foot is loose and the outhaul is sheeted to the starboard main sheet winch.I have only rigged this once in 20 yrs and that was practice--never want to "have to rig"
good luck,

Wow, I can't imagine doing all of that. It would not be possible to remove the main at sea (the foot is on slides in the boom track, as is the lazy bag). Usually when I start thinking 'storm sail' I'm already in rough conditions. My 'problem' is that I have lazy jacks and a lazy bag, the latter wraps over the second track on the mast. My plan was to simply lower the sail, zip up the bag, detach the bag from the starboard side of the mast (to expose the trysail track), lash it all (mainsail, lazy bag) to the boom (which I have done before when weathering a typhoon while moored), and then the raise the trysail.

Does anyone reading this who sails a Pacific Seacraft/Crealock 37 have a triple-reefed main? I can't get my head around how I'd use a third reef. I have two now, with lines leading to the cockpit. For a third reef, I would have to do something similar to the above, leaving the lazy bag open and lashing everything to the boom. It seems to be very messy thing. I'm inclined to think that a trysail would be better.

I welcome more comments. I'm about the buy new sails and I need to decide whether to get a trysail as part of the package -- and/or whether to have a third reef put in the main.

Thanks!

Lantau 05-19-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 2786346)
I have a trysail (and a storm jib) on a Bristol 45.5. In 35K miles I have never even thought about the need to use the trysail. Seems to me that the money and space on the boat could be used better for other purposes.

I don't know anything about a Bristol 45. On my PS37, when the wind gets over about 25 kts I start thinking about a trysail. The PS37 (mine, at least, and I think many others) has lots of weather helm, which may be part of the reason. Of course the weather helm can be counteracted by headsails, but then I would have so much sail up that the boat is heeling uncomfortably, and leaning over in strong gusts. In strong winds I want less sail, not more.

I'm tentatively planning a trip that will put me in the North Pacific (way north, possibly Aleutians) before mid-year, so I can expect some very significant winds.

niftynickers 05-19-2015 09:49 PM

Lantau,
I donot have a third reef in the main feeling that 2 reefs is certainly sufficient for almost all conditions.About rigging the storm tri remember that when you are down to storm tri you are in survival mode.Anything on deck or on the boom is probably going to be washed away.Hopefully you will have enough warning to rig everything before the blow starts.The good part is that a C37 is a very tough boat designed to get you through and bring you home,or as Bill Crealock said"she's designed for a sailors worst day at sea".
Good luck,

Lantau 05-19-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niftynickers (Post 2795433)
Lantau,
...The good part is that a C37 is a very tough boat designed to get you through and bring you home,or as Bill Crealock said"she's designed for a sailors worst day at sea".
Good luck,

Thanks again Chuck. So many good ideas from your way...

Indeed, you are describing a very significant reason for having a PS37: it's a very strong boat that is likely to keep us safe in a storm. This is one reason I didn't buy one of the typical 'plastic fantastic' boats that cost half as much (or less than half as much). That said, I need a plan. I would like to just button up the boat and retreat down below in a storm, and that might be possible if there are many miles of searoom. If the sea room isn't there, I need a way to at least maintain position or creep upwind. That's where the trysail comes into the plan -- a plan that I might never need to implement (like man overboard, etc.).

At the same time, I can see a place for actually using a trysail in conditions well short of a storm. I was out in a Force 6 a few months back and envied another boat who was having fun sailing on a trysail alone...

MarcHall 05-20-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantau (Post 2795401)
I don't know anything about a Bristol 45. On my PS37, when the wind gets over about 25 kts I start thinking about a trysail. The PS37 (mine, at least, and I think many others) has lots of weather helm, which may be part of the reason. Of course the weather helm can be counteracted by headsails, but then I would have so much sail up that the boat is heeling uncomfortably, and leaning over in strong gusts. In strong winds I want less sail, not more.

I'm tentatively planning a trip that will put me in the North Pacific (way north, possibly Aleutians) before mid-year, so I can expect some very significant winds.

25+ knots for trysail

Reminds of some friends who had a Crealock 34 and sailed extensively out of San Diego and the Pacific coast of Mexico (both areas of light winds). After their first season in the Caribbean they replaced the main with a main the size of double reef main ..... After one season of that the new smail main was left in the garage in Florida. After that season they had gotten used to the winds and reefing when necessary.

At 25 knots I am usually fairly comfortable with single reef, maybe thinking about about a second.

Weather Helm

If you believe the 37 has lots of weather helm I question on how your rig is set up compared to what Crealock specified. The Crealock is one of the most balanced boats I have ever been on. Many have commented on how well windvanes such as the Monitor work on the boat and windvanes have a bit of an issue with a heavy weather helm.

Have a great time on your trip to the Aleutians.

Regards
Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37 | SV Crazy Fish