masthead flag halyard - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2015 Thread Starter

masthead flag halyard

Anyone out there have a masthead flag halyard (for flying club burgees/pennants)? I'd like to rig one on my boat but am looking for ideas on how to configure it such that flying a burgee wouldn't obscure/interfere with my windex, VHF antenna, etc. I saw a photo today of a boat that had a staff on the masthead that was tall enough for the burgee to fly above the windex and VHF antenna, but couldn't see any detail.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Re: masthead flag halyard

Most boats I've seen (including mine) with too much masthead clutter fly burgees/pennants from flag halyards on the spreaders... but if you want to try a masthead one:

1. You'll need a flag halyard up there first. Assuming there isn't one, the easiest/neatest/simplest way to retrofit one is to mount a small cheek-block on one side of the mast head, on the opposite side of your VHF antenna/windex. etc. (or the side that's as clear as possible) and run the halyard to a cleat on the side of the mast down at gooseneck level.

2. Tie the pennant to one end of a suitable length of aluminium tube and tie the tube to the flag halyard in two places - middle and near the other end - using clove hitches.

..and haul away. Pointy end first.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
Old 06-02-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

It sounds like you may have lots of delicate stuff up there on the top of your mast. Do you really want a staff and flag up there? Might be just as good to rig up a spreader halyard for club, personal pennants and courtesy flags. A stern staff or backstay halyard for the national flag.

Old 06-02-2015
Closet Powerboater

Replace your flimsy vhf wire whip antenna with a 2 or 3ft fiberglass antenna. Use the new antenna as your flagstaff.

I thought of doing something similar with my Formosa 41, which looked like a pirate ship. I always wanyed to fly one of those really long masthead flags like you saw on the tallships.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2015

Even if you rig a tall enough pole on a proper halyard, you are still going to need to raise and lower it past your windex, your speed wheel, if you have one, etc. Way too much to go wrong and expensive fixes, especially if you're not going up the mast to fix them. I would pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-02-2015

I also wanted to do this, but realized there was too much stuff. Instead I simply use a spare halyard to haul it up my backstay. It got to the top and achieved the same effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 06-06-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I checked out fiberglass VHF antennas, most were three or four feet long. Can one drill a hole in one of those near the top to put a small turning block on it so that one can haul a burgee all the way up there, or are you suggesting permanently affixing a burgee to the antenna (and having to climb the mast to take it down)?
Old 06-07-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

No, you don't even think about drilling holes in a fiberglass antenna.

You might consider having a machine shop make up a 2-3' tall aluminum heavy wall tube, and mounting your flag halyard pulley on that. Then mounting the VHF antenna clear on the TOP of that extension. The machine shop can make it work.

If there's an anemometer or other stuff to get in the way...take them a picture of what is up there now, bring it all down, ask them how to fab up that extension to keep everything happy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in