Prop blues - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2015 Thread Starter

Prop blues

Pulled the prop this weekend off Hush....found the PO had installed two bushings inside the prop to so it would fit on the 1" shaft instead of getting proper prop.

We have a Yanmar 3HM35F on Hush. Anyone out there with similar power train can advise what type of prop you use...diameter pitch etc... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2015

Re: Prop blues

Go to an on line prop shop and plug in your information and see where you can start!.......Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2015
Banned

And don't forget that the pitch (at least if you are buying an adjustable prop, like MaxProp) depends on what you plan to use the boat for. To simplify, my MaxProp is set to 10mpg at cruising rpm (I forget the exact pitch in degrees for that).

post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2015

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

When we bought Irish Eyes in 2004 she had three propellers, all two blade, bronze, and solid. Installed on the boat was a 17x10 and in the locker were both a badly corroded 17x11 and a dirty 17x10. We have continued to use the 17x10 although with a clean hull and clean propeller the engine (Yanmar 3HM35F) can go over its maximum rpm. With a few barnacles and with the alternator and the refrigeration compressor running, we come up to the red line with no smoke. I've thought about mounting the 17x11 and giving it a try, but I've never gotten around to it.

The two blade hides quite nicely behind the strut as you can see in the pictures. There are marks on the shaft and a mirror in the engine compartment to let us see the marks through the engine compartment door under the ladder. By repeatedly dropping the clutch into reverse we can stop the propeller with it vertical. I don't know how much it helps, but it makes me feel better.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 06-11-2015 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-14-2015)
post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the pictures...my mechanic decided that a three blade 10" by 16 pitch prop was the right fit....I wish I would have thought about a two blade. Positioning the prop to reduce drag is brilliant. Already spent my $500 to get the new prop....stuck with it for now.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2015
Coastal Carolinas

Our 34 with the 3HM35F was running a 3 bladed MaxProp since we purchased 11 years ago. Recently ditched the MaxProp and installed the original 2 bladed bronze Astral 17 X 11. Should have done this a long time ago as the MaxProp was always finicky requiring regular service to keep lubed to prevent blades from hanging up. We use our boat in charter service so we would wash the grease out several times a season. Squirting grease through a zirc fitting underwater was always a fun chore. The 17 X 11 is the factory installed original on this boat and gives satisfactory performance under power. Only thing we lost was a little reverse thrust and maybe a 1/2 knot under sail if the blades are not in line with the deadwood. Bill, good idea on the mirror setup to monitor the shaft when under sail. Try your 17 X 11 as it seems to be the right fit.

John Schwab
Norstar
34 PSC # 201
The Following User Says Thank You to Norstar For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-14-2015)
post #7 of 9 Old 06-14-2015 Thread Starter

Wish I would have had this info before my mechanic stuck the new prop on. The new prop was supposed to magically all me to spin at 3600 rpm....not that I would do that very often......The new prop lets me spin Hush up to 3000 rpm, just like the old prop....do have less vibration so I guess all is good.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-14-2015

I am assuming that your new prop is 16D by 10P, not the other way around like you stated. A three bladed of that size sounds like its pretty close to the 17D by 10P or 11P two-bladed that the others with that engine say works well. The three blade prop should allow you to power better but at the expense of increased drag when sailing. Sounds like your other prop was OK, just bushed up to match your shaft diameter. Keep it as a spare.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-16-2015)
post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2015

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
Pulled the prop this weekend off Hush....found the PO had installed two bushings inside the prop to so it would fit on the 1" shaft instead of getting proper prop.
Looking for something else, I ran across this. It seems a plastic bushing is normal (required) with a Michigan 2 blade 17" sailor propeller on a 1" shaft. The factory bore is 1-1/8".

michigan propellers, michigan sailor propellers, propellers

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in