Pacific Seacraft 37 stability curve? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lantau
  • 1 Post By wsmurdoch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-08-2015 Thread Starter

Pacific Seacraft 37 stability curve?

Does anyone know where I can find the stability curve for the Pacific Seacraft 37 (Crealock 37)?

Ideally, I would like to have the curve for the 37 with the Scheel keel.

Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-10-2015

Re: Pacific Seacraft 37 stability curve?

Some useful information can be found here: Crealock 34 & 37 Analysis
Just scroll down and you will find many graphs including some on capsize risk.
Steve
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus34 View Post
Some useful information can be found here: Crealock 34 & 37 Analysis
Just scroll down and you will find many graphs including some on capsize risk.
Steve
That's really interesting stuff, but I, too, would like to know what the stability curve on these boats looks like. What's the AVS of the generic PS37?

I've been reading a lot about boat design and heavy weather, and I keep coming back to the belief that these boats fit almost all the criteria for seaworthiness (and it's shocking how so many of the new style boats don't!). One thing I have concluded is that for a cruising couple (or single-hander), you want something more or less like a Pacific Seacraft to be as safe as you can be. If you have a big crew that can sail aggressively in a storm, you can probably get away with a newer style. But I don't have a crew. (Then again, maybe a crew isn't enough. A brand new Beneteau 60 was lost without a trace in a storm in the South China Sea recently, despite having an experienced crew. Those kinds of boats scare me, as do some of their owners. One near me ran aground in his First 40.7, but he isn't at all worried about going offshore, despite the loss of several of these same boats, apparently due to the keels falling off in heavy weather. He sails with just his wife, doesn't have any self-steering if his autopilot fails, etc. I'm ranting....) I realize that no boat is perfect and much depends on skill (and luck), but having a Pacific Seacraft does give one a certain peace of mind.
Brent Swain likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
That's really interesting stuff, but I, too, would like to know what the stability curve on these boats looks like. What's the AVS of the generic PS37?
The limit of positive satability of the PSC 37 is in the sales brochure http://www.cruisingyachtsinc.com/ps37cyi.pdf . It is 140 degrees. The PSC 34 is 144 degrees http://www.cruisingyachtsinc.com/ps34cyi.pdf .

I've told the tale here before, but here it goes again... One year coming back from the Abacos in the Bahamas to St Augustine, my wife and I ran into a bit of Gulf Stream weather. It was bad, but it was not horrible. At night each of us slept in the starboard settee that has a lee cloth while the other minded the boat. Nothing broke. No real water came aboard. We just sailed along with the tiller pilot steering the boat. Granted, we did not cook. In St Augustine at a restaurant we sipped our drinks and eavesdropped on the four people at the nearby table. Their trip across at the same time on a certain French built boat bigger than ours was much less pleasant. Their boat rounded up a couple of times, things broke, and they were sick. As I said, we slept. Comfortable can beat fast.

I am a fan of "Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts", John Rousmaniere editor.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
Brent Swain likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
Lantau (01-04-2016)
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
The limit of positive satability of the PSC 37 is in the sales brochure http://www.cruisingyachtsinc.com/ps37cyi.pdf . It is 140 degrees. The PSC 34 is 144 degrees http://www.cruisingyachtsinc.com/ps34cyi.pdf .

I've told the tale here before, but here it goes again... One year coming back from the Abacos in the Bahamas to St Augustine, my wife and I ran into a bit of Gulf Stream weather. It was bad, but it was not horrible. At night each of us slept in the starboard settee that has a lee cloth while the other minded the boat. Nothing broke. No real water came aboard. We just sailed along with the tiller pilot steering the boat. Granted, we did not cook. In St Augustine at a restaurant we sipped our drinks and eavesdropped on the four people at the nearby table. Their trip across at the same time on a certain French built boat bigger than ours was much less pleasant. Their boat rounded up a couple of times, things broke, and they were sick. As I said, we slept. Comfortable can beat fast.

I am a fan of "Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts", John Rousmaniere editor.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
Great story.

The AVS of 140 degrees is about what I'd expect. I still wonder what the curve looks like -- bearing in mind that these things are probably calculated rather than actually tested on a real boat, not to mention that a real boat set up for cruising will not be like the test subject.

Interestingly, that document you point to indicates that a new PS37 has a 31-gallon fuel tank, with option for an additional aux tank. I wonder why. Mine has a 37 gallon main tank (and an aux tank). This may be related to AVS. Some boats have good AVS numbers with tanks full, and very bad ones with them empty. A full main fuel tank in a PS34/37 would be an asset in heavy weather.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-01-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks all. That's what I wanted, and I'm pleased with the information. It makes me feel even safer aboard.

Periwinkle
--
Boat for sale ad removed per forum rules- Jeff_H SailNet moderator

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-03-2016 at 10:39 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
Great story.

Interestingly, that document you point to indicates that a new PS37 has a 31-gallon fuel tank, with option for an additional aux tank. I wonder why. Mine has a 37 gallon main tank (and an aux tank). This may be related to AVS. Some boats have good AVS numbers with tanks full, and very bad ones with them empty. A full main fuel tank in a PS34/37 would be an asset in heavy weather.
Further down in the document indicates a 31 gallon fiberglass fuel tank.
The older boats had aluminum fuel tanks.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcHall View Post
Further down in the document indicates a 31 gallon fiberglass fuel tank.
The older boats had aluminum fuel tanks.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Some newer PS37s, mine included, have 37-gallon fiberglass tanks. (I wasn't certain about this until I asked Pacific Seacraft.) My guess is that they started putting these in to avoid the problems of corrosion on some older ones. It's interesting how boat builders have used every conceivable material for fuel tanks. I guess nothing is perfect.

Back to the stability question, if you have a tank made from heavy stuff full of lots of fuel, that's bound to help maintain the AVS. When I was looking for a boat I remember seeing a stability analysis that recommended that a particular sailboat (not a Pacific Seacraft) should not have empty fuel tanks so as to maintain adequate righting moment (I don't recall, but the AVS went from something like 150 with tanks full to under 100 with them around 1/3 full -- it carried lots of fuel).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in