Hydrovane and motoring - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-06-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Hydrovane and motoring

Has anyone installed a Hydrovane on a PS34 and if so, does it cause any problems when motoring? For example: helm bias, shuddering, etc.

Thanks,

-C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-07-2016

Re: Hydrovane and motoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
Has anyone installed a Hydrovane on a PS34 and if so, does it cause any problems when motoring? For example: helm bias, shuddering, etc.

Thanks,

-C
I have a Hydrovane but not a PS34. We have a big engine and large prop and we found that the Hydrovane shuddered when motoring and broke the stainless steel locking pin.

On speaking to Derek Daniels, the designer, at the London Boat show, he suggested we made up a “tiller lock” that went into the little black stub tiller that the unit comes with. It is roughly "L" shaped and attaches to the pulpit rail.

This secures the unit went motoring, it still shudders at bit but does not break the stainless steel pins which, if I remember correctly, are about $20 - $25 each

Hope this helps
post #3 of 13 Old 01-07-2016

Tri
Thanks for the response. We are in the process of negotiations for one.
? Does this occur at all speeds?
? Can you post a picture of the tiller lock please? Ideally deployed and separate.
? Do you know if this is a problem with all Hydrovanes or has this issue been designed out? If so when?
? Is it worth talking to Will further about this?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 13 Old 01-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
? Does this occur at all speeds?
My unit has 30,000 miles on it so it rattles a little anyway even at anchor. I have a 72 Hp engine with a 22 Inch prop about 6 feet away from it so it gets a good prop wash and yes it does occur at all speeds.

Quote:
? Can you post a picture of the tiller lock please? Ideally deployed and separate.
See attached?
See attached photos.

The pictures do not show it too clearly but the end of the lock has an eye in it, the Pulpit rail also has any eye welded onto it and a bolt drops through both holes and secures it. Hope these help

Quote:
? Do you know if this is a problem with all Hydrovanes or has this issue been designed out? If so when? ?
I don’t know, my unit was purchased on 1997 so maybe ask other owners and ask the Hydrovane people. Derek did not seems surprised about it when I spoke to him about the problem

Quote:
?? Is it worth talking to Will further about this?
Maybe yes, see above
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01014.JPG   DSC01013.JPG   DSC01016.JPG   DSC01015.JPG  
The Following User Says Thank You to Triumphant For This Useful Post:
outbound (01-07-2016)
post #5 of 13 Old 01-07-2016
SV Skalliwag #141

I have a Crealock 37 and it also vibrates. If it really bothers you, joyous can always remove the vane rudder when not in use. Don't let this keep you from getting the vane.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-07-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

I'm surprised that after all these years they haven't figured out how to set up a mechanism that gets the tiller out of the water whenever you want. I understand it's easy to remove when underway, but pretty much impossible to put back on.

I looked at the Monitor, but it is too much of a Rube Goldberg like machine for my tastes.

-C
post #7 of 13 Old 01-07-2016

We're kind of stuck on the Hydrovane as the first choice. It can be put off center and easily converts to an emergency rudder. I don't like the weight and complexity of the monitor swing gate.
I had a Fleming on a T37 so well familiar with servo pendulum devices. Liked the Fleming a lot but be a bear to put on the outbound. Looked at the others ( Sailomat etc.) but off the list for one reason or another. These things are a big expense for me and will only be done once so any info is greatly appreciated.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #8 of 13 Old 01-08-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
I understand it's easy to remove when underway, but pretty much impossible to put back on.
My personal experience is that it is a PITA to get off underway and a bigger PITA to get on underway. I can't imagine trying to get the rudder on while the boat is doing 7 or 8 knots.

Heaving to is my approach of choice. You are still going to get wet. There will be swearing involved. Don't drop anything.
Faster likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-08-2016

So what's the verdict gentlemen?

~30k displacement, hard Bimini and have davits, sugar scoop with centerline swim ladder.

Figure we live two lives. Passages and once there coastal day hops. Strong believer it's a SAILBOAT not a stinkpot. So it will go on just for passages or when single handing.

Is the Hydrovane worth the bucks and a good choice?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 13 Old 01-08-2016

The Hydrovane was the choice of a friend of ours who took his Passport 40 to Mexico from the PNW. This is a very meticulous, detail oriented retired pilot who researched to the nth degree.

The off center mount was a big factor, I believe - centerline ladder too. Ultimately he was pleased with it, but in reality used the AP more, except on the longer runs and crossings. I don't believe he left the rudder on when not actively in use... abd I don't believe he ever tried to remove/replace it underway.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
outbound (01-08-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in