SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Bimini for PS34 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/238137-bimini-ps34.html)

cshrimpt 01-08-2016 09:30 PM

Bimini for PS34

Are there companies that make Biminis that fit a PS34, or are Biminis in general something that's custom made? I've never bought one so I'm not sure how they are sourced.

Thanks,

-C

Pegasus34 01-09-2016 12:26 PM

Re: Bimini for PS34

1 Attachment(s)
C,
I know there are some companies that offer off the shelf biminis, but there are so many different ways to do them, be sure you get what will work for you. We had the bimini on our PSC 34 custom made. Here are some of the considerations that were covered: 1. the height under the bimini while standing, 2. allow enough room to move between the bimini and our dodger, 3. we had to re-cut the main sail slightly (just a bit of the foot of the sail) to allow the boom to pass over the top of the bimini.
I have attached a photo to show you how our bimini turned out.
Steve

cshrimpt 01-09-2016 12:53 PM

Thanks Pegasus, what you have is basically what I'm looking for. I'll see if I can find someone local who makes biminis.

-C

Hush34 01-22-2016 06:41 PM

Hey Cschrimpt, Do you have a dodger? If not you might want to design the Bimini and the dodger together. Off the shelf Biminis might solve the problem, but I would say you would be best to contact a custom maker so you get what you want and need. There are so many variables in bimini design.

svjobeth 01-24-2016 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As has been said, it's important for bimini and dodger to work together. And I would strongly encourage you to have the bimini made by a canvas shop to fit your boat.

In the interest of full disclosure however, I should add JO BETH does not have a bimini. Since we have a radar mast aft, we use a cockpit awning. The awning zips across the rear of the dodger and has a sleeve at the aft end through which a stainless pole is used to 'hold it open in the back. The pole is tied to the backstay at a cut-out in the awning. A loop is in the center to keep the awning peaked. We can even sail with the awning in place, not peaked of course. ('Peaking' the awning uses the main halyard.)

It works for us with our configuration. No bimini legs in the way of the cockpit, etc. Not a great pic, but you get the gist...

Attachment 64506

RainDog 01-24-2016 07:17 PM

We use a very similar setup to Jo Beth. My boat came with a conventional Bimini, and I hated it for a number of reasons. When we added the dodger we did a similar awning that attaches to the dodger and the backstay. I find it far better than a conventional Bimini. It is more versatile, out of the way when stowed, no poles to make getting out of the cockpit less safe, and it is much cheaper.

sailak 01-24-2016 10:15 PM

Elnora also has a cover similar to JoBeth's. Only real con I find is since it is attaced at the center to the boom to "tent" it can't be used while under sail.

cshrimpt 01-24-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hush34 (Post 3290746)
Hey Cschrimpt, Do you have a dodger? If not you might want to design the Bimini and the dodger together. Off the shelf Biminis might solve the problem, but I would say you would be best to contact a custom maker so you get what you want and need. There are so many variables in bimini design.

I do have a dodger so I want them to work together. There are a couple of local canvas makers that I'll have take a look.

Thanks,

CS