Bimini for PS34 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Bimini for PS34

Are there companies that make Biminis that fit a PS34, or are Biminis in general something that's custom made? I've never bought one so I'm not sure how they are sourced.

Thanks,

-C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-09-2016

Re: Bimini for PS34

C,
I know there are some companies that offer off the shelf biminis, but there are so many different ways to do them, be sure you get what will work for you. We had the bimini on our PSC 34 custom made. Here are some of the considerations that were covered: 1. the height under the bimini while standing, 2. allow enough room to move between the bimini and our dodger, 3. we had to re-cut the main sail slightly (just a bit of the foot of the sail) to allow the boom to pass over the top of the bimini.
I have attached a photo to show you how our bimini turned out.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
2013-08-10_15-11-05_179.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Pegasus34 For This Useful Post:
cshrimpt (01-09-2016)
post #3 of 8 Old 01-09-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Thanks Pegasus, what you have is basically what I'm looking for. I'll see if I can find someone local who makes biminis.

-C

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2016

Hey Cschrimpt, Do you have a dodger? If not you might want to design the Bimini and the dodger together. Off the shelf Biminis might solve the problem, but I would say you would be best to contact a custom maker so you get what you want and need. There are so many variables in bimini design.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2016

As has been said, it's important for bimini and dodger to work together. And I would strongly encourage you to have the bimini made by a canvas shop to fit your boat.

In the interest of full disclosure however, I should add JO BETH does not have a bimini. Since we have a radar mast aft, we use a cockpit awning. The awning zips across the rear of the dodger and has a sleeve at the aft end through which a stainless pole is used to 'hold it open in the back. The pole is tied to the backstay at a cut-out in the awning. A loop is in the center to keep the awning peaked. We can even sail with the awning in place, not peaked of course. ('Peaking' the awning uses the main halyard.)

It works for us with our configuration. No bimini legs in the way of the cockpit, etc. Not a great pic, but you get the gist...

Bimini for PS34-jo_beth_awning_pic.jpg

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2016
Not Finished Yet

We use a very similar setup to Jo Beth. My boat came with a conventional Bimini, and I hated it for a number of reasons. When we added the dodger we did a similar awning that attaches to the dodger and the backstay. I find it far better than a conventional Bimini. It is more versatile, out of the way when stowed, no poles to make getting out of the cockpit less safe, and it is much cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2016
Crealock 37

Dock

Elnora also has a cover similar to JoBeth's. Only real con I find is since it is attaced at the center to the boom to "tent" it can't be used while under sail.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
Hey Cschrimpt, Do you have a dodger? If not you might want to design the Bimini and the dodger together. Off the shelf Biminis might solve the problem, but I would say you would be best to contact a custom maker so you get what you want and need. There are so many variables in bimini design.
I do have a dodger so I want them to work together. There are a couple of local canvas makers that I'll have take a look.

Thanks,

CS

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in