• 1 Post By Lantau
  • 1 Post By wsmurdoch
  • 1 Post By jnewcomer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-30-2016 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

Crealock 37 Rudder maintenance

I read this article from Sail Magazine Rudder Awareness - Sail Magazine
Does the Crealock rudder have a grease fitting on the rudder tube? How is the rudder constucted? Type of bearing, stock, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-30-2016
Banned

Re: Crealock 37 Rudder maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I read this article from Sail Magazine Rudder Awareness - Sail Magazine
Does the Crealock rudder have a grease fitting on the rudder tube? How is the rudder constucted? Type of bearing, stock, etc?
This is one of those questions that drive me crazy because it reminds me, just when I start to relax, that there is ALWAYS something to worry about on a boat!

I've got a Crealock 37. My hunch is that the rudder arrangement is, more or less, as strong as one can get in a production boat of this size.

On my boat, the rudder system's overall integrity is very reliant on the skeg. That's because I have wheel steering, meaning that the rudder tube does not extend well above the waterline as would be the case in an ideal setup. (I think the tiller version has this tube. Someone reading this can confirm or correct me on this.) The rudder stock is supported by the skeg. Thus the condition of the skeg is just as important as the condition of the rudder itself. I think both the skeg and rudder have steel reinforcement inside, but I don't think this extends the full length of the skeg (I say this only because I once saw a picture of a PS that was grounded and the skeg was broken halfway down, with no sign of steel reinforcing at that point -- probably explaining the break). So all the advice in that article about checking for water ingress and the like seems to apply to the skeg as much as to the rudder, i.e., more things to worry about and work on during haulout (as if my lists weren't long enough each time already).

I don't know about the bending load of the rudder stock. It looks to be extremely strong, so I am guessing that it is NOT like the spade rudder designs, which are intended to bend easily to protect the hull.

There are no grease fittings, but the manual recommends greasing the bushings (if my recollection is correct). I have never noticed any problems at all with these bushings on my decade-old boat, but surely they will need to be replaced eventually.
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by Lantau; 01-30-2016 at 10:04 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-31-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Here is a photo of the grease fitting on my boat which has a factory tiller. It is amid the tangle of dock lines in the rudder tube as it rises from the level of the cockpit sole to the cockpit seat level. It is a stainless steel grease fitting with a little plastic cover. I installed it to replace the one that was there when I bought the boat. It ripped out of the fiberglass when my grease gun did not release from it. The new one has 1/8 NPT threads. The old one was 1/4-27. (I think.) I give it about 10 pumps of grease per year.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
brokesailor likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-31-2016
s/v Pelagic

Here is a sketch I received of the rudder from Don Kohlman (former company owner) when I was about to drop the rudder it to get the prop shaft out. I believe it is the same sketch used in various PSC promotional pieces.

I don't have the grease fitting shown the other response. When we converted from wheel to tiller Robin (Thumper's predecessor in SoCal) sold me all the bits including the upper Orcot bearing (graphite impregnated, spiral wound tube). At that time (1999) no mention was made about the necessity for a grease fitting. The upper bearing I removed was just a fiberglass tube glassed in place below the emergency tiller deck plate (probably a good place for a grease fitting). So maybe the Orcot upper bearing is only needed for tiller steered boats. I need to look into whether it's advisable to grease Orcot bearings.

Also, Don Kohlman recommended and sold me two Orcot thrust bearings to put above and below the rudder. I was able to put the lower one on the bronze gudgeon but there was not enough room for the upper one. Since PSC sold them to me I am guessing they became standard on boats after 1999.

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl (#22)
Seattle
Attached Thumbnails
Rudder_Skeg.jpg  
brokesailor likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2016
Banned

Doubling, or even tripling the hull thickness around the rudder, in the building process, does no harm , and costs little.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in