In Praise of Crealocks - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 02-28-2016
Crealock 37

Dock
Re: In Praise of Crealocks

Our first boat was an Omega 36, light fractional sloop. My wife was always a bit nervous, uncomfortable on Cirrus.

With our Crealock 37 she is saying things like "we should just go out of the bay until out of sight of land".
elliowb likes this.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 02-29-2016
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

AFAIK after 30 years there has never been a Crealock lost at sea. I did read about one that was run up on a reef, but they were able to pull her off and sail her away with minor damage. I've also never heard of a dropped keel or lost rudder either.

The best part is they still build them to this day in almost the exact same configuration. PSC will refit your old boat for you if you want. Just be prepared to get soaked as Crealocks are $$$$.

Craig
kbbarton and elliowb like this.

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34
post #13 of 16 Old 02-29-2016
Banned

I don't know all the details of boat design, but my belief is that Crealock designed my boat (a Pacific Seacraft 37) to actually be a great sailboat. I know that's obvious, but many of the newer designs, especially the cheap boats, don't seem to be intended to actually be, well, boats. A sailboat has to sail, of course, but it also has to do it in a range of conditions, including the worst (if it's an offshore boat). My boat's cutter setup makes this possible; the boat can be balanced in any conditions (at least that I have experienced). A good boat also has to be comfortable at sea, again in all conditions (well, a point comes in a storm where comfort becomes survival). And it has to be safe in all conditions. I believe that my boat is designed for all of that AND built to meet those requirements. Anyone who has worked on these boats knows how well made they are, especially compared to the cheap boats (Beneteau, etc.). My only complaint about my Pacific Seacraft 37 is that it's not a Pacific Seacraft 44 -- but I'm not a very rich person, so that's out.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but if you follow the link in Periwinkle's post you'll find a Pacific Seacraft 37 for sale (in Hong Kong): pacificseacraft37.com

I can attest that the PS37 is a very nice boat. It's a boat that Crealock could be proud of -- and I'm sure that he was.

And as some have suggested, the company is great in answering questions and giving help. I don't know if it's because they care about us owners or hope that this is good for business in the long term. I don't care; it's just great to have such service. That makes a Crealock built by Pacific Seacraft worth much more than the vanilla-brand boats.

Last edited by Lantau; 02-29-2016 at 05:41 PM.

post #14 of 16 Old 02-29-2016
Crealock 37

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
...my belief is that Crealock designed my boat (a Pacific Seacraft 37) to actually be a great sailboat....
I'm tickled every time I take mine out of the harbor, it is just plain fun to sail. She might not point as high or be quite as fast as the fractional sloop I had but her "handling" is so much nicer...balanced, easy motion, simply a joy.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-29-2016

I love taking our 34 PSC, Hush, out in rough conditions, provided I stay clear of the bourbon the night before. I know that boats are inanimate objects, but I think Hush, smiles each time we make the final turn into the inlet and the seas are a torrent crashing against the jetties. My crew and I enjoy a confidence that comes from being on an extremely well built and designed boat. Looking forward to many years of safe and enjoyable sailing thanks to Mr. Crealock.
RainDog, kbbarton and elliowb like this.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
I love taking our 34 PSC, Hush, out in rough conditions, provided I stay clear of the bourbon the night before. I know that boats are inanimate objects, but I think Hush, smiles each time we make the final turn into the inlet and the seas are a torrent crashing against the jetties. My crew and I enjoy a confidence that comes from being on an extremely well built and designed boat. Looking forward to many years of safe and enjoyable sailing thanks to Mr. Crealock.
Same with our 37 PSC. When other sailors are getting drunk at the bar because the winds up, we go sailing. What I like is having a true cutter rig, which makes it possible to trim the boat in all wind conditions. It's also good having a Monitor windvane. It works great in strong winds -- leaves us with nothing to do but drink tea.

Periwinkle
elliowb likes this.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-03-2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Boat for sale ad removed per forum rules- Jeff_H SailNet moderator

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in