Companionway Ladder Non-skid - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 03-01-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Companionway Ladder Non-skid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I refinished my 1961 companionway a few years ago. I think the tread design is brilliant.

The treads, mahogany, are routed a half inch deep with a 1/2" round bit, every inch and a half (or so).

Each slot is fitted with a 1/2" by 1" strip of teak(I had to replace the the outer worn teak strip on each tread - they were very easy - sand the ends to fit). The strips are tacked in with counter sunk brads(they can't move in their slot).

Here's an even easier step: After stripping the ancient varnish, I simply revarnished the whole thing.

When it was dry, you take a block with coarse sand paper, and clean the varnish off the top of the teak strips. Done.

If treads are removable, this would be an easy add on.

We've (a family of 4) had this boat for nearly two decades, never a slip on these treads.

Very nice job. I can only hope that mine turns out as well. I really like the idea of the raised strips. Unfortunately, the treads on my ladder are not removable and I've already discovered that most routers are slightly to tall to fit between the treads (I originally was going to use a router to remove the old non-skid).

As I ponder this idea though, I guess there is no reason that I couldn't mill some pieces of teak that would have raised strips and then fit those into the recessed areas on my treads. I have a thickness planer and the other necessary woodworking equipment. Then they could be glued in place. Hmmm. Seems doable.

Come to think of it, it could even be in a nice contrasting wood. I really like padouk. However, mahogany would be easier to work.

Last edited by elliowb; 03-01-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter

Well, finally got around to working on the companionway ladder. I let aesthetics rule the day.

I liked Tom's ladder with the raised strips, but I was limited to the dados that existed in my treads. I also happened to have a nice piece of quilted (figured) maple that has been kicking around for a few years. The maple contrasts nicely with the teak, so .... I'll still need some type of non-skid. I'm going to have a look at some 'clear stick on strips that WM has, but likely I'll go with an additive to the varnish.

I've got a bit of gypsum sand, any reason that wouldn't work? A light sprinkle on the second coat, followed by at least one more coat?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_3514.jpg   DSC_3512.jpg  
RobGallagher likes this.

Last edited by elliowb; 03-29-2016 at 01:10 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
Well, finally got around to working on the companionway ladder. I let aesthetics rule the day.

I liked Tom's ladder with the raised strips, but I was limited to the dados that existed in my treads. I also happened to have a nice piece of quilted (figured) maple that has been kicking around for a few years. The maple contrasts nicely with the teak, so .... I'll still need some type of non-skid. I'm going to have a look at some 'clear stick on strips that WM has, but likely I'll go with an additive to the varnish.

I've got a bit of gypsum sand, any reason that wouldn't work? A light sprinkle on the second coat, followed by at least one more coat?
Very nice work! I love the wood contrast. I don't see why an additive in the varnish wouldn't work. I think I'd try the gypsum on a scrap to see the results, first.
elliowb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
elliowb (03-29-2016)

post #14 of 18 Old 03-29-2016
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

very nice! fun use of the maple

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
elliowb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to oysterman23 For This Useful Post:
elliowb (03-29-2016)
post #15 of 18 Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Very nice work! I love the wood contrast. I don't see why an additive in the varnish wouldn't work. I think I'd try the gypsum on a scrap to see the results, first.
I gave it a try. It currently has one coat of Cetol, three coats of Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss, and three coats of Epifanes Woodfinish Matte. Unfortunately I didn't realize how much color the Cetol has in it. I probably will never use that again, but it did give the maple a very nice warm tone. I just don't like what it did to the teak, even just one coat. The Epifanes is great, really flows nicely.

The gypsum sand seems to work well. It is much finer than silica sand, I'll see this season how well it works and how well it holds up to use.

https://flic.kr/p/GpdX26

https://flic.kr/p/GpdXKv

https://flic.kr/p/FZ7zPY
TomMaine likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-19-2016

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
elliowb likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #17 of 18 Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
In case anyone is interested, Pacific Seacraft uses Epiphanes clear varnish (this is the stuff with UV filters) for exterior woodwork and Epifanes brushed effect (which I'm quite sure does not have UV filters) for the interior.

There are some pictures of the companionway ladder sections of a 2004 Pacific Seacraft 37, with nonskid shown, on this web page:

https://pacificseacraft37.com/more-photos/
Thanks for the information. I have to refinish the cabin sole on Belle Voile later in the season and was thinking of using the rubbed effect for the top coats. Good to know that it should more or less blend in with the rest of the interior (although mine is a 1994, so maybe they were using something else at that time). I was thinking about using the rubbed effect for the top coats on the companionway ladder, but given that it can often be in direct sunlight, thought that the matte (which does have UV filters) might hold up better.

BTW, nice website and beautiful boat. Sorry to hear that you have to part with her.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-24-2016
Otter

I've redone mine by using skateboard grip tape. I've also redone for my friends using a paint and mixing "black beauty" blasting bead into it. That will last damn near a lifetime. I did the same thing on my dive barge and it seems indestructible with welders, diesel compressors and other heavy stuff being dragged across the deck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in