Companionway Ladder Non-skid - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

Companionway Ladder Non-skid

I'm in the process of refinishing the companionway ladder. The current non-skid on the treads appears to be the Vetus Non-skid Deck Covering. After 20 plus years of use, it's no longer very non-skid, it's quite dirty, and prevents me from doing a good job of sanding and varnishing the adjacent teak (it stands slightly proud of the level of the teak step).

Does anyone know for sure if that is the material. Also, the Treadmaster product from Lewmar looks like it might be a nice alternative. I can get that in black, so it wouldn't show as much dirt. Or does anyone have other ideas that might be better than either of those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-29-2016

Re: Companionway Ladder Non-skid

The companionway ladder on our PSC 34 was just finished with varnish (no non-skid surface) which was quite a problem. We purchased and installed Treadmaster sheets and they work very nicely.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-29-2016
HANUMAN

I did mine last spring. Started a thread here and got lots of help.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...way-steps.html

I ended up refinishing with non-skid paint additive on the treads, worked out great.

If you do use the additive, don't get it on/near the very edge of the step as it will scrape your calves as you come down the stairs I ended up having to sand the edges and refinish them.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #4 of 18 Old 02-29-2016

I use hydroturf on my A-Cat which works well but I don't know how it would hold up to shoes. I have always prefered grip-tape on stair treads. It's incredibly aggressive non-skid, cheap to apply, and available in colors (if you want it). It won't last quite as long as the rubber pads, but it's easy enough to put down more as it wears out.

Greg
post #5 of 18 Old 02-29-2016

Flemish coil rope mat
post #6 of 18 Old 02-29-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

The treads of my ladder are unfinished teak. Only the rails are varnished. Bare teak is pretty non-skid on its own. Sober, I've never slipped.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
jrd22, RobGallagher and MarcHall like this.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus34 View Post
The companionway ladder on our PSC 34 was just finished with varnish (no non-skid surface) which was quite a problem. We purchased and installed Treadmaster sheets and they work very nicely.
I'm leaning that way. The Vetus is nice in that it seems to be predominantly made from cork. However, it is far from non-skid at this point in it's life cycle, so it may be worth trying out the Treadmaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I did mine last spring. Started a thread here and got lots of help.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...way-steps.html

I ended up refinishing with non-skid paint additive on the treads, worked out great.

If you do use the additive, don't get it on/near the very edge of the step as it will scrape your calves as you come down the stairs I ended up having to sand the edges and refinish them.
I wish that I could use varnish with non-skid additive, however, the steps were dadoed to accept non-skid that is about 1/8th inch (see attached photo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I use hydroturf on my A-Cat which works well but I don't know how it would hold up to shoes.
I think in my case I won't be able to use the hydroturf, from what I can tell it isn't thick enough to end up being proud of the teak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Flemish coil rope mat
May have been tongue-in-cheek, but as a traditional boat nut it appeals to me. The only problem I can see is getting the line well secured to the treads. I think I will work on a nice rope mat for the bottom of the ladder. Great idea. Many years ago I spent a number of years helping with the restoration of an old square rigger, so this would be a perfect homage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
The treads of my ladder are unfinished teak. Only the rails are varnished. Bare teak is pretty non-skid on its own. Sober, I've never slipped.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
That's a great idea. I was thinking of using Epifane's Rubbed Effect Varnish, but I suspect that on the leading edge of the tread, it might not hold up well. Bare teak gets dirty pretty quick, but maybe some Watco or teak oil. It would be a lot easier to maintain than varnish.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_3391.jpg  

Last edited by elliowb; 02-29-2016 at 10:53 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-01-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

My unfinished step treads are flat. They do not have the depressed area that yours have. It looks like you need to have something to fill the routed out areas.

There is a little additional info in an earlier thread https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacifi...step-pads.html .

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
elliowb likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
I refinished my 1961 companionway a few years ago. I think the tread design is brilliant.

The treads, mahogany, are routed a half inch deep with a 1/2" round bit, every inch and a half (or so).

Each slot is fitted with a 1/2" by 1" strip of teak(I had to replace the the outer worn teak strip on each tread - they were very easy - sand the ends to fit). The strips are tacked in with counter sunk brads(they can't move in their slot).

Here's an even easier step: After stripping the ancient varnish, I simply revarnished the whole thing.

When it was dry, you take a block with coarse sand paper, and clean the varnish off the top of the teak strips. Done.

If treads are removable, this would be an easy add on.

We've (a family of 4) had this boat for nearly two decades, never a slip on these treads.

miatapaul and elliowb like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-01-2016

3m makes adhesive paper. Basically 40 grit sandpaper with glue backing.
elliowb and Capnbh like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in