PSC34 shower and water heater - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Davashcow

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-08-2016 Thread Starter

New to me 1988 Crealock 34:

I'm not at the boat as I ask these questions:

Is the water in the water heater in the port cockpit locker heated every time the engine is run, or do you have to open a valve to heat the water?

Does anyone recall the manufacturer/part number for the faucet/shower head combo in the head? The spiral winding on mine is unwinding which prevents it from pulling out and I'd like to replace the unit. (I have kids that will almost certainly insist on using that shower.)

Thanks much!
elliowb likes this.

Last edited by Davashcow; 04-08-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-08-2016
Master Mariner

Re: PSC34 shower and water heater

If your water heater is indeed warming it's water from the engine's circulating system, there should NOT be a valve in there you can turn off unless you have a complicated bypass to circulate the engine cooling water when this valve is closed.
When you add a water heater to an engine's cooling system, it becomes a part of that system. Closing a valve would stop the cooling water to any part of your cooling system after the water heater.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2016 Thread Starter

Got it. I was just wondering if it was set up like most automotive heater core systems that have their own circuit that can be actuated without affecting the main cooling loop.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2016

Our PSC heater warms the water for the boat without having to open any valves. We have found that hot water is available 1/2 day after running the motor. Best of luck on your new adventure. We love Hush, our 34 PSC, and are certain you will love yours too.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davashcow View Post
New to me 1988 Crealock 34:

Does anyone recall the manufacturer/part number for the faucet/shower head combo in the head? The spiral winding on mine is unwinding which prevents it from pulling out and I'd like to replace the unit. (I have kids that will almost certainly insist on using that shower.)

Thanks much!
Scandvic makes similar Scandvik Marine Inc. - Products

My hose was also falling apart. I took the shower head and hose out, took it to Lowes, and the friendly fellow there sold me a new hose. But, when I got back to the boat the new hose fitting on the shower head end would not go into the fixture. A little work with a Dremel tool fixed that.

I added a mixing valve to the hot water feed to the shower/sink fitting to temper the water and prevent a scald. The engine can really heat the water! (Watts Undersink Tempering Valve Series USG-B-M2 3/8")

All that said, we actually use a 2 gallon orchard sprayer with its stock hose and nozzle replaced with a telephone shower head hose with a standard kitchen sink rinsing nozzle on its end either on deck or in the cockpit. (Get the kind of nozzle with a button rather a lever which hooks on stuff in the locker and gets broken off.)

We find it just too much of a pain to dry out the head after a shower.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (04-09-2016)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2016

Bill, I agree that clean-up after a shower in the head is a bit of work. Generally, we shower in the head every other shower. When not in the head a quick swim followed by a lather of soap and fresh water rinse is enough to get us clean. One of the best showers in my life was a cockpit shower under a full moon (not the one I provided), a cool breeze and a canopy of stars. I feel sorry for those who only know a shower surrounded by tile and a ceiling.

Will have to try a 2 gal system like you. Do you heat the water for the sprayer or just take it at outside temps?

p.s. The Admiral likes the shower in the head for it's opportunity to clean the Graco.

Last edited by Hush34; 04-09-2016 at 07:10 PM. Reason: change
post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2016

p.s.s. For those of you who might have cringed, my moon doesn't rise unless we are alone in an anchorage

post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
Will have to try a 2 gal system like you. Do you heat the water for the sprayer or just take it at outside temps?
The sprayer stays in the port locker. If it is full and if we have been running the engine, it gets warm on its own from being near the engine and the coolant expansion tank. If it is near empty, I fill it with warm water from the galley sink.

My sprayer is white. I wish I had bought a black one, so the sun would warm it more effectively.

The pickup tube in my sprayer is small, maybe 1/4". It limits the flow rate from the sprayer (which may not be a bad thing). To make the spray nozzle spray better with the reduced flow, I plugged off every other hole in the nozzle with hot melt adhesive from inside the nozzle.

When away from the crowds here in the warm Bahamas, our routine is to take a swim with either of the two girls, Joy or Dawn, then rinse with fresh water in the cockpit, and dry off. If you do it right, your bathing suit does not even get wet.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in