Hatch woes - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By BMLipiec

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2016 Thread Starter

Hatch woes

Hi everyone,
After receiving an outrageous estimate on resealing my forward hatch I decided to take a whack at it myself, which has not gone well. In removing the frame from its base I snapped the head off of the bolt that affixes its arm to the frame. Evidently it was seized.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this? Drill out the remnant and change out the bolt? Any experience/info would be helpful
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0198.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-15-2016

Re: Hatch woes

I have learned not to mess with these...I take them to my local fab shop. They can weld a bolt to the stub and work it with a small reversing air ratchet $5-10. If you break a drill, ez-out or mess the threads it will be more.
Cheers!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2016

The old hatches are not really worth the trouble of fixing. We replace with 18.5 by 18.5 hatches. The job was not too bad and we have nice new and company supported hatches now.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

chris-
Considering that things have not gone well, consider just taking it to any local machine shop. Probably ask you for $10, 20 at the most, and it will be done without further damage or worry in ten minutes.
"Takee fixee."
post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2016
Dirt Free

Fella goes back to the garage to pickup his car .....

Mechanic - that'll be $150 bucks and hands him the invoice.
Fella - Looks at invoice and says but the part was only $20. What was the other $130 for ?
Mechanic - For knowing what part to replace.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2016

I would try drilling it out. Mine was stuck as well and when I put some pressure on it the cast aluminum around the bolt cracked. The aluminum corrodes and weakens due to the dissimilar metals of the frame and bolt. I used some JB weld to sister a stainless washer to the arm, effectively splinting the crack. It has been 4 years now of constant use and it has held up without issue.

As Captjcook says, I won't be messing with the rest of them.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
The old hatches are not really worth the trouble of fixing. We replace with 18.5 by 18.5 hatches. The job was not too bad and we have nice new and company supported hatches now.
Hi,

What brand 18.5x18.5 in hatches did you use?
Does anyone know if the 34 and 37 have the same hatch setup?

Wouldn't mind changing mine out sometime.

cheers,
John

Last edited by johnbanfield; 04-19-2016 at 08:18 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2016

I was going to replace mine due to surface corrosion, and ordered a new hatch from Defender. I think it was a Lewmar Ocean series? The inside diameter was the same as the Bomar, but the outside was smaller leaving all of the old screw holes exposed. It was going to be a huge job fiberglassing the top to cover the screw holes and trying to blend it to look nice. Or I could have made a spacer ring, like a giant washer to cover the holes, but then you have to worry about sealing that as well as the hatch. Also, it wasn't as deep and I would have had to make a trim piece for the inside. In the end it wasn't worth it, so I had the Bomar sand blasted and powder coated and returned the Lewmar.

Incidentally, Swan, a PSC 34 rode out hurricane Odile down here in Mexico and stayed dry as a bone inside. The other twelve boats in the anchorage had all their bedding and cushions out on deck the next day trying to dry everything out. In my opinion, the metal ports and Bomar hatches are about as good as it gets for keeping out the elements.
elliowb and Jeff_P like this.

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in