damaged non-skid - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By midwesterner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter

damaged non-skid

My boat was launched today but I was not present. I went to check on it after work and was very dismayed when I noticed the damage shown in the photo - it appears that the yard personnel may have inadvertently uprooted one of the mounting brackets on the cockpit coaming for my bimini. Adding insult to injury, it was raining when I discovered the damage so there is undoubtedly water in there.

In the event that the marina doesn't fix it for me, I will have to do it. I'm guessing the holes should be filled with epoxy and then re-drilled. Anyone have a similar experience, or any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2029.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-21-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: damaged non-skid

The good news is, it was bedded with silicone... so you'd want to fix that anyway

I wouldn't worry a lot... check for water underneath, and yes, I'd over-drill and fill the holes, then drill them again. Then you'll need to clean that silly-cone off. Brass brush, or wire brush... or like TakeFive did in his chainplate thread, use a wire wheel on a drill, and tape it off. Trick is to get all the silly cone off.

Then taper the holes, rebed with butyl tape, and be done.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (04-23-2016)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2016

From the look of it, I'm thinking that it might not be the fault of the yard staff. There is water staining around the area. It's possible the screws were rusted and we're ready to go soon anyway. They might have just bumped it and it was time to go. That suggests that you will want to check the others.
SHNOOL likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to midwesterner For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (04-23-2016)

post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2016

After cleaning up silicone, you might be able to countersink, butyl and through bolt...if you can get under coaming and jaw fitting covers.
The Following User Says Thank You to captjcook For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (04-23-2016)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! When you say "taper" the holes, do you mean use a countersink bit to create an impression around the hole for the butyl tape to fill?

Before that though, the holes need to be filled then re-drilled. It has been a few days since it rained here, but the temp has only been in the 40's F. Do you think that is enough time for the wood core to be reasonably dry, or should I have a hairdryer on it for awhile? I tend to get really concerned about water intrusion in the core material because I had a large section of deck that was delaminated when I bought the boat and it was a very expensive affair!

Now to buy some epoxy and butyl tape....
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbarton View Post
My boat was launched today but I was not present. I went to check on it after work and was very dismayed when I noticed the damage shown in the photo - it appears that the yard personnel may have inadvertently uprooted one of the mounting brackets on the cockpit coaming for my bimini. Adding insult to injury, it was raining when I discovered the damage so there is undoubtedly water in there.

In the event that the marina doesn't fix it for me, I will have to do it. I'm guessing the holes should be filled with epoxy and then re-drilled. Anyone have a similar experience, or any suggestions?
Check these out:

https://youtu.be/2eZLorXTNys

https://youtu.be/UpsRljqBH0o

A LOT of good stuff on this guy's channel.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau

Last edited by amwbox; 04-23-2016 at 10:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amwbox For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (04-23-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in