Thinking about the PSC community. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-07-2016 Thread Starter

Thinking about the PSC community.

Hi Folks,

I run the pacificseacraftowners.org website/board but this board is much more active so I'm thinking about shutting down the board on that website.

It's clear there is interest in a PSC community because I get a few users who register with the board each week but not much happens after that. I think that THIS board represents part of a growing PSC community, but I'm yearning for something face-to-face as well.

One thing that has worked for the Cape Dory community is float-ins/rendezvous and cruises as well as winter meetings which get folks together off-season (for those who have an off-season).

I'd be interested in hosting a float-in in the early fall/late summer in Casco Bay or Salem Sound on a weekend for anyone interested as well as a winter meeting for those willing to travel to the Boston area.

Anyway those are my thoughts right now. Hope you all can chime in!

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-07-2016
I can't re Member

Re: Thinking about the PSC community.

I'd love to attend a float in/rendezvous but, Boston? in winter? How about at the birthplace of PSC? My boat's already there, and there are palm trees. Mmmmmm....palm trees.

PSC Orion 27
post #3 of 15 Old 06-07-2016

There is much to be said for palm trees in the winter time!

post #4 of 15 Old 06-07-2016
SV Skalliwag #141

I got kicked out of the PSC website. Changed email addresses then forgot my password. When I clicked on forgot password it sent it to a deleted address. So I tried to sign back on as a different user. Could never get past the spam quiz. It's tough!
post #5 of 15 Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I got kicked out of the PSC website. Changed email addresses then forgot my password. When I clicked on forgot password it sent it to a deleted address. So I tried to sign back on as a different user. Could never get past the spam quiz. It's tough!
Sorry about that. Not the best tech support and that's my fault. I tried to filter out spammers and you got caught up in that. I'm sure that didn't help!

Bob Dugan
1988 PSC34 Emerald
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA // Bustins Island, ME
post #6 of 15 Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I'd love to attend a float in/rendezvous but, Boston? in winter? How about at the birthplace of PSC? My boat's already there, and there are palm trees. Mmmmmm....palm trees.
So I was thinking a fall float-in in the Boston area and a winter meeting (sans boats) in the Boston area as well.

I like your idea of a float-in/rendezvous in California as well. Pick a date/time and see how many PSC owners you can get to come!

Bob Dugan
1988 PSC34 Emerald
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA // Bustins Island, ME
post #7 of 15 Old 06-08-2016
I can't re Member

I had to look up Boston on the map, yeah...no. I retire in 16 days and I have four requirements; Never mow a lawn, never shovel a driveway, never wear long pants, never wear socks. That meeting would break two of my cardinal rules.

As for setting up a float-in in Cali, I'm more of a show-up-get-drunk-and-make-an-ass-of-myself kind of guy than an event organizer. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for the amount of work guys like you do, setting up and maintaining the PSC owners group website has to be a lot of work, organizing a diverse group meeting for people from all over the world? Wow! I couldn't organize a rock fight in a quarry.

Anywhoo... best of luck with your decision on whether to give up the website, and also on your meeting and float in. PSCs are great boats and I'm glad to be part of the community.

goat

PSC Orion 27
post #8 of 15 Old 06-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdugan View Post
So I was thinking a fall float-in in the Boston area and a winter meeting (sans boats) in the Boston area as well.

I like your idea of a float-in/rendezvous in California as well. Pick a date/time and see how many PSC owners you can get to come!
Boston would work for us - we're moored in Salem, Mass. Going to California would take a little longer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #9 of 15 Old 06-08-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdugan View Post
Hi Folks,

I run the pacificseacraftowners.org website/board but this board is much more active so I'm thinking about shutting down the board on that website.

It's clear there is interest in a PSC community because I get a few users who register with the board each week but not much happens after that. I think that THIS board represents part of a growing PSC community....
This site does a good job of handling conversational things. But, it does not have a way to save things like:
1. a list of PSC boat blogs
2. a Frequently Asked Questions list
3. a collection of literature: things like the PSC rigging guide, the PSC tuning guide, engine manuals, windlass manuals, the note on how to seal a holding tank....
4. lists of parts suppliers, especially for those things where the original manufacturer has gone out of business
5. a permanent home for the conversations that this site does such a good job of supporting. Some years ago we lost all of the old messages when the owner changed software. There was a promise to restore them, but it did not happen.
6. a collection of upgrades and fixes

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
post #10 of 15 Old 06-08-2016

I just tried the blog list (http://pacificseacraftowners.org/blogs/) and got a SQL error.

And yes, this sailnet site seems to have most of the PSC activity. Unfortunately, a Boston rendezvous is not in the cards for me...

Paul Elliott
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, Washington

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in