PSC 34 Electrical Mystery - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

Re: PSC 34 Electrical Mystery

You can also try a tone generator/tracker these goodies put a tone on a wire that you can hear with the tracker. The tracker will tell you about where the line is broken. The cost $25 and up -- get one with alligator clips. you can find them at Amazon, I got mine at Home Depot for ~$50 IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

Absolutely no worries Hush34. I assumed you misread my meaning. Your question reminded me that I have always thought it weird that the Bow Light was not at the bow. Maybe it was found there back in the day of whale oil lamps, long before corrosion of electrical connections was invented.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #13 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

I much prefer the term "steaming light". This term tells you what the light is for. The other common terms, bow light and masthead light, just cause confusion.
aloof likes this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

post #14 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I much prefer the term "steaming light".
Ya. Steaming light...heh...better but...

"Honey, could you please give a few more shovels of coal to the boiler? The wind seems to be dying."

None of the names are any good. It's not at the masthead. The sidelights are rarely on the sides anymore, however they do indicate a side I suppose.
MedSailor likes this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #15 of 20 Old 06-21-2016

Sorry to inform you, aloof, but they white light showing towards the bow IS located on masthead, which is officially (according to several dictionaries) the forward part of the mast. The highest point on the mast is the "truck." But I'll agree that a "motoring" or "steaming" light is a whole lot more descriptive. The nav light manufacturers usually call it a masthead light.
aloof likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-22-2016

My masthead light is the 360 deg white anchor light. My steaming light is on the front of the mast, about half way up.

When you get this all sorted out, run new wires, without splices. Pretty sure splices violate some sort of code.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-22-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

The names of the lights are defined in the Colregs...

—INTERNATIONAL—
Lights and Shapes
Rule 21 Definitions
(a) Masthead light means a white light placed over the fore and aft centerline of the vessel showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225° and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5° abaft the beam on either side of the vessel.
(b) Sidelights means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5° and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5° abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less than 20 m in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel.
(c) Sternlight means a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 135° and so fixed as to show the light 67.5° from right aft on each side of the vessel.
(d) Towing light means a yellow light having the same characteristics as the sternlight defined in paragraph (c) of this Rule.
(e) All-round light means a light showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 360°.

On My PSC 34 the breaker labeled "Running Lights" gets both the sidelights and sternlight (and compass light), "Bow Light" gets the masthead light, and "Anchor Light" gets the all-round light. I don't have a good picture of my panel, but mine looks pretty much like this one from Yachtworld.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
aloof likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-22-2016
HANUMAN

My boat has a 12 volt bus near the base of the mast for running lights. All the positive comes from the switches to the bus and get disconnected when the mast comes down. Good place for something to do wrong.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #19 of 20 Old 06-22-2016

The proper terms, according to COLREGS, are Side Lights, Stern Light, Masthead Light, and Anchor Light.
I've never seen a pleasure boat with its original panel that had them all labeled correctly. Some get them all wrong.
Most commercial vessels have them right, but then most Captains wouldn't stand for having them labeled wrong.
On a pleasure boat it doesn't really matter what they're called as long as the skipper knows which is which and when to use them.

As to the wiring, who knows what some previous owner has done to it. You just have to get in there and sort it out.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-24-2016 Thread Starter

Well I got to the bottom of the mystery. I pulled the bow pulpit because the wire running through the forward starboard leg was pretty much destroyed by corrosion. In 1989 PSC did not run tin coated copper strand. Anyway, I ran the new wire and bedded the pulpit stanchions with butyl tape. During the reinstatement, my wife in the anchor locker and me topside we managed to crush the new wire and create a nice short circuit.

In addition to that the flange of the stanchion deformed and cracked as it was corroded too. PSC did such a good job sealing the wire run and bolts that water, thru condensation or that managed to push past the wire where the light is installed is trapped.

Pulled the pulpit again and took it to a welding shop in Edgewater Florida. The guy quoted me $120 for the two corroded and cracked flanges to be removed and replaced...turns out it is going to cost me $200. Anyway, lesson learned about the light labels and official terminology, thanks to Aloof and that when tackling a boat project always plan that it will not be a straightforward as you might believe. Still love Hush, our boat, and look forward to many challenging projects.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in