PSC 34 Electrical Mystery - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-20-2016 Thread Starter

PSC 34 Electrical Mystery

So it all started when my bow light stopped working. Not getting 12 at the bulb and even more mysterious the power and ground wire are shorted to each other. The breaker doesn't trip so something is really screwed up.

I started at the bow and worked to the aft. Found a splice in the anchor locker had disintegrated and fixed that. Still no 12v to the bulb. When I repaired the splice I noticed that the wire in the anchor locker is Black and Red. According to the manual, I should have a green wire and a black wire. I checked at the switch and sure enough the hot wire is green.

I traced the wiring harness from the distribution panel into the bilge along the starboard side until it gets to compression post, then the wires appear to go up the post.

I cannot find where a splice was made to the green hot wire for the bow light and the existing wire that leads to the bulb.

Has anyone else traced this wiring nightmare and found where the unicorn and the splice are made????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

Re: PSC 34 Electrical Mystery

The bow light is at the bow? Weird.

I'm willing to be corrected on this, but I believe the "bow light" is the "masthead" light, not the red/green "side light" that might be mounted at the bow. "Bow light" seems to be an unofficial term. Perhaps one of our Chapman's aficionados can set me straight. My switch panel has a "bow light" switch that illuminates the "masthead" light.

But for the OP: It is always confusion and corrosion with boat electrics. Good luck.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
The Following User Says Thank You to aloof For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-20-2016)
post #3 of 20 Old 06-20-2016 Thread Starter

Aloof, Thanks for absolutely nothing. My side lights are mounted at the bow and the distribution panel calls them "Bow Light."

p.s. The masthead light isn't the bow light on my boat, it is the "Masthead/Steaming" Light....take care.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
I traced the wiring harness from the distribution panel into the bilge along the starboard side until it gets to compression post, then the wires appear to go up the post.
I was trying to help. The "Bow Light" wires should go up the mast. I would not look in the "Anchor Locker" for "Bow Light" wires. Like I wrote before: Beware confusion and corrosion.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
The Following User Says Thank You to aloof For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-20-2016)
post #5 of 20 Old 06-20-2016
One of None

Attitude... Tsk tsk

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #6 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

Thumbs down Re: PSC 34 Electrical Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
Aloof, Thanks for absolutely nothing. ...
Really?

Regards,
Ted
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
post #7 of 20 Old 06-20-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

On our 1988 PSC 34 the nav light breakers are labeled "Running Lights" and "Bowlight". "Running Light" gets the red/green lamp at the bow pulpit, the white lamp at the stern pushpit (a red wire for both), and the compass light (a purple wire). "Bowlight" has a green wire that runs into the mast, passes thru a connector there, and goes on as a green wire to the steaming light.

We had ours fail coming off the Matanilla Shoal in the Bahamas headed for the Gulf Stream and the U.S. in 2014. It is in my wife's blog entry for June 27, 2014.
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
"While Bill was still sleeping, I noticed the red and green sidelights were not working. Not too good. I was keeping track of several ships by eye and radar. They were miles away, but we still needed our lights shining so they could see us. I hated to do it, but I woke Bill. He is not only the Captain but also the fix-it man. Hanging over the bow in the dark and getting a little wet, he found that the wires to the lamp had corroded away. He rigged up some temporary wiring and got the lights working again."
By the way, I got soaked.

The repair story is in this thread on this group.
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacifi...ht-wiring.html

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-20-2016)
post #8 of 20 Old 06-20-2016 Thread Starter

Mr. Murdoch thanks for your reply. I think that will help me tremendously. Mr. Aloof. I owe you an apology. After some research today, I realize that you were actually trying to help. Like a couple of responses have indicated, I acted the ass....no excuse, just have to own it. Thank you for your input....perhaps next time I might take some time to consider what is written before I respond. Hope you have a better day....lesson learned on this end. Take care and following winds.

post #9 of 20 Old 06-20-2016 Thread Starter

so right Denise!....bad day let it get the best of me.
deniseO30 likes this.

post #10 of 20 Old 06-20-2016 Thread Starter

Message received! Oops is all I can say.
deniseO30 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in