Dyneema standing rigging - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 07-03-2016

Re: Dyneema standing rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
2) running backs are almost always made from rope not wire. I would say always but I am sure there is someone out there with wire runners, I just have never seen it.
I've never seen them with rope. We should swap which sets of boats we observe

Our previous boat had wire running backs attached to fiddle blocks for tensioning. The blocks used standard polyester double-braid. The boat was made in the early 70s.

It looked something like this: Running Backstays | Cruising World
Zarathu likes this.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 07-03-2016
Administrator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
Has anyone used synthetic Dyneema line as replacement for the standing rigging. I am planning on replacing my running backstays with Dyneema. Has anyone used Dyneema for shroud replacement?
Andy
89 PSC31
Every Gun Boat has Dynema standing rigging. I saw a 150 footer all Dynema (some exotic, anyway), just about every world class light weight racing boat is all dynema.

So not only can you use it for running backstays (which are running rigging not standing rigging arnt they?) you should be using it.

Mark
Zarathu likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #13 of 30 Old 07-03-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

My backstay is amsteel blue, with a cascaded tensioner. Yep can be done (as we said multiple times in this thread)...

Love the link to the lifelines commentary. By the way you can still use it for lifelines too, but it requires very careful work... I've considered doing it myself, just because on my old rust-bucket on inland water lifelines are almost not necessary... Offshore I'd want cable though.
Zarathu likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

post #14 of 30 Old 07-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
There Is creep in Dyneema over time but I see no issue in using it for temporary running backstays. I have it on my runners with turnbuckles for tensioning. I also use it for the lifelines, furler, and main halyard. I have no cover on it and am able to use it without slip on winches and in a ratchet block. It would be better, I suppose, with a cover but I've found that simplicity is usually better unless something is actually necessary. I would not use it for regular standing rigging.
Just to be clear, creep and stretch are massively different things.

Creep is the permanent elongation over time from being under load. Typical design creep for standing rigging is .1 inch per year, or about one inch over the service life of a set of dyneema shrouds.

Stretch is the temporary elongation under load that rebounds when the load is removed. Thing of a rubber band.

Normal dyneema has both more stretch and creep than the HSR (heat set). But will be stronger than stainless wire of the same size, and have about the same stretch. But of course wire doesn't creep.

HSR is far stronger that raw dyneema or steel wire, stretches less than either, and has about 10% the creep or regular dyneema. Which is why it is the prefered material for standing rigging.

Running backs.... Are kinda weird. They toe the line between running and standing rigging, and can be properly though of as either. Typical construction these days would be amsteel (or another uncovered dyneema), while racers will use HSR not for the creep reduction but for the strength increase. A HSR line can be substantially downsized compared to a standard dyneema line and retain the same strength.

As an example, for a set of runners that are 35' long each.

......................MBL (kg) ........ Weight (lbs) .... Size
Wire ...............3,220.............. 4.55 .............. 1/4"
Amsteel.......... 3,500 ............. 1.12 .............. 1/4"
D12 Max HSR ...3,000 ............ .522 .............. 5/32"
Zarathu likes this.

Greg
post #15 of 30 Old 07-03-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

music-
Couple of years ago I was talking to the local NavTec guys about alternatives to rod rigging and a synthetic alternative they offered. Bottom line was that, in their opinion, using synthetic line for standing rigging was absolutely THE premium way to go. Least weight aloft, best performance, sufficiently great durability and all. And, if you didn't have an Amex Black card, it was probably totally out of your budget.
The rest is all details. Whether any particular synthetic moves the compromises around a bit, I don't know, but it will only move them around a bit. If your goal is performance, that's your way to go. If price means anything? We're still in the Iron [sic] Age.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-03-2016

A few years back a an ultralight racing Westsail 32 was equipped with HSR rigging. Has anyone heard anymore about this boat and how the rigging has worked out.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A few years back a an ultralight racing Westsail 32 was equipped with HSR rigging. Has anyone heard anymore about this boat and how the rigging has worked out.
I think this was Nigel Calders son's boat. I think he switched from deadeyes to turnbuckles after a couple of years but I may be thinking of another boat.

Greg
post #18 of 30 Old 07-03-2016

The Westsail was on the East Coast, IIRC. The Calders definitely would have an in for the latest and greatest. It's probably been long enough in service to get a good idea how the synthetic rigging stands up to UV radiation. The deadeyes sort of fit a Westsail but it was just such an unlikely candidate for lightweight rigging. Not that weight saved aloft wouldn't benefit any boat. Mahalo for the input, Stumble.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-03-2016

I just changed out the standing rigging (shrouds and backstay) on my Baltic 38, moving from rod to Dux by Colligo Marine.
So far, I happy with it. Ask me anything.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
ultralight racing Westsail 32
Are these words supposed to be used together?

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in