Should I ditch the refer on my PSC34? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 07-06-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Should I ditch the refer on my PSC34?

My 34 came retrofitted with an Adler Barbour Cold Machine. While it's nice to not have to deal with ice, I think it takes up too much room in the ice box. I'm thinking either I should just take it out, or switch the evaporator with the flat cold plate since the freezer part is useless although I do like the giant ice cubes it makes.

What do you think? Switch to a flat plate or ditch the whole thing.

Thanks,

Shrimp

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-06-2016

Re: Should I ditch the refer on my PSC34?

Dear Shrimp,

Personally, I love my refer when I"m cruising. I can keep meat frozen and everything else cold enough to last.

If you need more galley space, look to see if you have plates etc in a tilting hide-away compartment. It looks cool but it uses a ton of space poorly in my opinion.

I found an amazing amount of storage space on my PSC 34 so be sure you've explored all your options.

Good luck,

Bob Steneck
PSC 34 Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine
post #3 of 28 Old 07-06-2016
al brazzi

Turn it off for a few 100 Deg days before making that decision. I'm considering installing one that's why I make the suggestion.

post #4 of 28 Old 07-06-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by steneck View Post
Dear Shrimp,

Personally, I love my refer when I"m cruising. I can keep meat frozen and everything else cold enough to last.
How is your evaporator mounted? Is it on the left sidewall or the back (looking towards the stern)?

Mine's on the left and it leaves a big space under the freezer that you can only reach if you remove everything from the icebox.

Shrimp

post #5 of 28 Old 07-06-2016
Master Mariner

If you ditch it, do you think ice would take up less space? It sure is messier.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 28 Old 07-06-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If you ditch it, do you think ice would take up less space? It sure is messier.
The issue is more with how it's installed. I end up having to pull everything out unless what I want happens to be sitting on top.

Shrimp

post #7 of 28 Old 07-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
The issue is more with how it's installed. I end up having to pull everything out unless what I want happens to be sitting on top.

Shrimp
Simplest would be to move the evaporator to a better location in the icebox. On my 37 I mounted it almost in the center of the box to a vertical plexiglass plate that the factory installed that runs from starboard hull to to the engine compartment bulkhead.

Buying and installing a new evaporator will likely result in other issues like will the new connectors mate with the old connectors. Will any refrigerant disappear with the removed the old evaporator or when the "leakproof" fittings are seperated requiring the system to be recharged. If the Cold Machine is an older R12 unit then that will be an issue.

I have had 2 Cold Machines on Crazy Fish and have been happy with them. Using ice in the icebox not so much. i recently removed the compressor for clean up work/painting in the engine compartment and found that ice did not keep things as cold and that I missed having cold beer and water on the boat after a couple of weeks away from the boat.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
post #8 of 28 Old 07-06-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post

Shrimp
Welcome to the joys of top loading marine fridge/freezers. I think it's a rule that what you are looking for is under everything else, even though you didn't pack it that way. Or maybe fridge gremlins?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 28 Old 07-07-2016

In preparing my boat for cruising, I removed the refrigeration for 2 reasons: 1) Lower electrical consumption, 2) Free space in the port cockpit locker where the refrigeration unit was mounted.

Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook discusses how to cruise without refrigeration.
post #10 of 28 Old 07-07-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipakb View Post

Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook discusses how to cruise without refrigeration.
I did half my circumnavigation w/o refrigeration and the second half with. Want to ask me which was preferable?
Certainly cruising w/o refrigeration can be done, but it's more like camping than living in a home, even if that home is a boat.
aeventyr60 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in