SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Battery recommendation for Crealock 34 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/263857-battery-recommendation-crealock-34-a.html)

cshrimpt 09-05-2016 12:18 PM

Battery recommendation for Crealock 34

All,

I want to replace my dual 200 Ah Rolls TP12-250 house batteries. I could go gel or flooded but more important is that they fit properly in the battery box. The Rolls batteries are the correct width and length, but they are a little tall to properly anchor.

Anyone found a brand, or group size that will provide 400 Ah total and still properly fit in the Crealock's built-in battery box?

Thanks,

Shrimp

capta 09-05-2016 12:29 PM

Re: Battery recommendation for Crealock 34

In my research, I found that every battery is a standard size throughout the manufacturers. So if you go to the Trojan site and look at a D4 it will be the same size as a Deka D4, etc. These manufacturers have charts that give all the dimensions and stats of every battery they produce. Makes for easy shopping. Trojan Battery Company

stipakb 09-05-2016 12:47 PM

I use 3 Lifeline GPL-31XT AGM batteries, for a total of 375 amp hour capacity (125ah x 3).

This photo shows how all 3 batteries fit in the original PS34 box:

http://web.pdx.edu/~stipakb/BatteryBox.jpg

To get the outboard, forward battery (right, top, as you look at the photo) to fit right, I built a custom plywood platform for that battery that raises that battery slightly. The battery still clears the 3/4" plywood cover that I built that goes over the top and is secured with heavy bolts at the outboard end and slides under a wood strip at the inboard end (I can take a photo of the cover if you want to see that too).

Maine Sail 09-05-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshrimpt (Post 3647049)
All,

I want to replace my dual 200 Ah Rolls TP12-250 house batteries. I could go gel or flooded but more important is that they fit properly in the battery box. The Rolls batteries are the correct width and length, but they are a little tall to properly anchor.

Anyone found a brand, or group size that will provide 400 Ah total and still properly fit in the Crealock's built-in battery box?

Thanks,

Shrimp

Shrimp,

The PSC 34's have some different battery box configs, most likely due to the semi-custom nature of the build..

I have a 2000 34 that can only fit 1 8D and 1 G-31 without some serious modification. He really does need more Ah capacity but as you know space on that boat is pretty limited, without major surgery..

The comparable battery to the T12-250 in the Trojan line would be the the J185 Series such as the J185P-AC. If the batteries physically fit, anchoring them usually an easier task than finding another group size, and capacity, battery to fit. If you had an additional 1" - 1.5" of height you could even fit two Lifeline 6V L-16's which would also yield 400Ah.

If you had the space for three Group 31 batteries then you could opt for three Firefly AGM's and have 264 usable Ah's as opposed to just 200Ah's.

The Firefly AGM is specifically designed and intended to be cycled to 80% DOD where other batteries will suffer very, very short life if you do so. It is arguably the most sulfation resistant and sulfation recoverable lead acid battery currently being produced..

cshrimpt 09-05-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maine Sail (Post 3647201)

If you had an additional 1" - 1.5" of height you could even fit two Lifeline 6V L-16's which would also yield 400Ah.

The Lifeline is only an inch taller than the Rolls so they would work. I've been shying away from AGM batteries after I read an interesting article that claimed that AGM batteries charge no faster than a lead acid battery unless you have the amps to drive it.

Apparently since the acceptance rate is so high with AGM, you really need a 200 + amp alternator to really take advantage of the charge speed. Otherwise you're wasting your money on high-end batteries you really can't take advantage of.

Shrimp

RainDog 09-20-2016 11:53 PM

Check out Indigo's solution. He put in 250 Ah with only minor modificaitons in a very nice setup.

Electrical System - Batteries - Cruising Indigo

DaveMancini 09-25-2016 11:35 AM

Indigo has the slickest battery/charger/inverter setup I've seen and it's actually 450 Ah. Check it out here Electrical System - Batteries - Cruising Indigo