PSS shaft seal - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 10-26-2016

Re: PSS shaft seal

Regardless of whether you use a split coupling or solid coupling, it should be fit to the shaft by a machine shop and faced to run true with the shaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 10-26-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
Regardless of whether you use a split coupling or solid coupling, it should be fit to the shaft by a machine shop and faced to run true with the shaft.
That is what I originally assumed and that would require removing the shaft. I wonder if there is even enough space to slide the shaft back into place without removing the gearbox once the coupling has been fitted - that takes us back to a flexible coupling that can tolerate minor misalignment.

Is there anyone who has experience with flexible couplings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #13 of 17 Old 10-26-2016
One of None

"drive saver" is the shortest one as it just fits between the flanges. The alignment still needs to be close or any flex coupling will have a shorter life.

Most of the worry and pre project anxiety is worse then the work. Even dropping a rudder is not that difficult.
Is the cutlass bearing loose?

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

post #14 of 17 Old 10-26-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
"drive saver" is the shortest one as it just fits between the flanges. The alignment still needs to be close or any flex coupling will have a shorter life.

Most of the worry and pre project anxiety is worse then the work. Even dropping a rudder is not that difficult.
Is the cutlass bearing loose?
The cutlass bearing is pretty tight, little or no motion in the shaft. I get it about the pre project anxiety - you're dead right on that one.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #15 of 17 Old 10-26-2016

Probably 20 years on our PSS shaft seal. It still looks good but we will replace this year along with the cutlass bearing. It lasts a long time but considering the litigious society we live in it probably drives the maker to build in a VERY healthy safety margin.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-26-2016
One of None

Knowing a bit about drives, seals, pumps etc the way PSS doesn't leak is still amazing to me

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #17 of 17 Old 12-17-2016

I have not been on the forum for more than a year. I sail #274 PSC34. Three years ago I changed the prop, the cutless bearing, the stuffing box into a PSS, and the coupling into a split coupling. I did not drop the rudder. I prepared a detailed work plan and if you are interested to have it, PM me. I did not use a workshop for coupling/shaft alignment.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in