Ground Tackle for PSC 34 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 01-27-2017
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Ground Tackle for PSC 34

Our Bristol has only one anchor roller. I thought this was a problem but thought I would give it a try. Result is that we ended up using our Manson Supreme for more than 1000 nights of anchoring and never considered the need to drop a second anchor. Once we used our ancient Hi-tensile Danforth to hold us in one spot while the tide came up when some dummy (that would be me) managed to get us stuck ons one coral. Our brand new Fortress never saw the water.

I could see how a Supreme or Rocna might cause problems on boats with two anchors on rollers or with some bowsprits or platforms. We spent some time with Peter Smith, the guy who invented the Rocna, in Namibia. He had just picked up the prototype for the new Vulcan anchor which is like a Rocna but with no roll bar. He was confident it would work fine without the roll bar. It certainly would stow more neatly.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 01-28-2017
Master Mariner

All this talk of the Rocna type anchors not fitting on a vessel's bow or with another anchor got me thinking. After something over three years of anchoring with our Rocna almost every night, I believe I would redesign my bow roller set up to accommodate a Rocna before I'd ever think of sailing without one again.
As for bothering with having a second anchor on the bow, it's completely unnecessary, these days. IMO these "next gen" anchors have revolutionized the whole idea of anchoring, and even though I'll still carry at least 4 complete anchors and rodes, I sincerely doubt that any of the secondaries will ever get used with enough regularity for any of them to need to be on the bow.
Go ahead, build the boat to fit the anchor; it's worth it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 26 Old 02-11-2017 Thread Starter

Just about finished with the rebuild of my Seatiger 555. Housing was blasted, chemical stripped (because of intense infiltration of grease in the casting), and powder coated. All new parts from SL Spares in the UK. Still have to fill it up with grease and install the bottom gasket and plate, but just about there. One step closer to having overhauled the ground tackle system. Still need new chain and rode and have to figure out how to completely secure the new Mantus.

Below are the before and after photos. I am going to try to put together a rebuild instruction. SL Spares instructions are very brief and the photos are terrible.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4277.jpg   IMG_4272.jpg   IMG_4625.jpg   IMG_4608.jpg  
RainDog and capta like this.

post #24 of 26 Old 02-26-2017 Thread Starter

I've been slowly working on a couple of off-season projects. I finally figured out how to secure the new Mantus 35lb anchor on my PSC 34 bow pulpit. I've posted a couple of pictures, so hopefully this will help any other PSC 34 owners who want to switch to a Mantus.

The problem that I encountered was that when hauled in tight, the inboard fluke of the anchor impinged on the bobstay, so that was unacceptable. I ordered Mantus' Anchor Mate in hopes that it would eliminate the problem. However, the Anchor Mate isn't designed to work with the somewhat custom bow pulpit and anchor roller on the PSC34. After trying a couple of alternatives, I decided that I needed to fit the Anchor Mate immediately next to the roller (and inside the metal brackets that hold the roller). I ordered a new, narrower roller, that allowed slightly more room for the Anchor Mate and used bronze bushings to keep the Anchor Mate tight, but still allow the roller to spin freely.

Untitled by Bill, on Flickr

post #25 of 26 Old 02-26-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Not on a PSC, but here is a picture of my Mantus Anchor Mate;

And here are some pics of the Anchor Mate with my Rocna;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #26 of 26 Old 02-26-2017 Thread Starter

Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to be stupid or a plug for the Mantus Anchor Mate. I genuinely puzzled for some time before figuring out how to mount this new anchor, just thought it might help another PSC owner with a the same anchor roller setup that I have.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in