Ground Tackle for PSC 34 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-08-2016 Thread Starter

Ground Tackle for PSC 34

One of my winter projects is to review and upgrade the ground tackle on my 1994 PSC34. The boat came with a SL Sea Tiger 555 windlass, a primary 35lb CQR with 93 feet of 5/16" 3B chain with additional rope rode (I haven't measured the length of it yet), and a lunch hook that appears to be a 22lb Lewmar Delta with about 7 feet of chain and about a 100 feet of rope rode.

At some point in the next 5 years, I would like to do offshore cruising. So, I want to make sure that I have excellent ground tackle.

When WM had a sale going I purchased a 45lb Mantus that I had hoped would replace the primary anchor. However, I've tried to fit it on the bowsprit anchor roller and it appears to be too large. It impinges on the bobstay and doesn't secure well to the sprit and is so large that it won't allow for easy use of the second anchor.

Before I return it for the next size down (35lb), have any of you PSC34 owners fit a Mantus 35lb anchor on your boat?

Also, I think that I probably need double the amount of chain on the primary anchor. I'm considering getting 200 feet of 5/16" G4. Does this sound reasonable for the PSC34?

When hauling in the current 3B chain with the 555, the chain does not release from the gypsy and drop down into the chain locker. Any suggestions here. It appears to be a rope/chain gypsy and the only SL gypsies that handle both appear to be for larger chain, so maybe the gypsy is not sized appropriately?

One last question, at least for the moment, do other PSC34 owners have severe chafe on the teak just aft of the anchor roller on the bowsprit? It seems that the windlass should actually be higher to prevent the chafe.

Below is a picture of the current chain and my, unsuccessful, attempt to fit the 45lb Mantus.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4269.jpg   IMG_4266.jpg   IMG_4268.jpg   Anchor chain copy.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-09-2016

Re: Ground Tackle for PSC 34

Well...I can't address the particular issues you're having with fitting the anchor on the roller. We don't have a platform/bowsprit on Jo Beth. Our dual roller is in the stemhead fitting and we have a 44lb Rocna that snuggles in just fine.

As to your rodes, for comparison, we have 150' of 5/16" chain, (I don't recall offhand if it's BBB, etc.), with 150' of 1/2" 3-strand nylon rode on the Rocna. Our secondary, or 'lunch hook' is a Fortress (the correct one for the boat length) on 35' of 5/16" chain and 150' of 1/2" 3-strand nylon. We're going to replace the primary chain in a couple of years and I think I'm going to increase the chain to 200' and shorten the nylon by 50' or even 100'. Still mulling this around.

We have a Lofrans Tigress 'up-only' windlass, with a chain gypsy on one side and a drum on the other. Personally, I've never been a fan of the 'combo' gypsy units. It does sound like your chain and gypsy are likely mismatched, causing the issue you describe. Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete.

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
post #3 of 26 Old 12-09-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
Well...I can't address the particular issues you're having with fitting the anchor on the roller. We don't have a platform/bowsprit on Jo Beth. Our dual roller is in the stemhead fitting and we have a 44lb Rocna that snuggles in just fine.

As to your rodes, for comparison, we have 150' of 5/16" chain, (I don't recall offhand if it's BBB, etc.), with 150' of 1/2" 3-strand nylon rode on the Rocna. Our secondary, or 'lunch hook' is a Fortress (the correct one for the boat length) on 35' of 5/16" chain and 150' of 1/2" 3-strand nylon. We're going to replace the primary chain in a couple of years and I think I'm going to increase the chain to 200' and shorten the nylon by 50' or even 100'. Still mulling this around.

We have a Lofrans Tigress 'up-only' windlass, with a chain gypsy on one side and a drum on the other. Personally, I've never been a fan of the 'combo' gypsy units. It does sound like your chain and gypsy are likely mismatched, causing the issue you describe. Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete.
Thanks so much for your response Bill and Lisa. Although I haven't laid hands on a Rocna, my guess is that it is much heavier built than the Mantus. Maybe that's why I'm having problems with the same weight Mantus. I think I'll see if I can find a Rocna that I can compare with the Mantus. The Mantus sizing chart suggests that the PSC34 is at the upper end of the 35lb, that's why I opted for the 45lb.

Also, thank you for your thoughts on the amount of chain. I think that I'll go with 200' as well. BTW, just noticed that on Defender the G4 is about 10% cheaper than the BBB. Even though it's got a higher working load, it's a bit lighter.

I'm going to go pull the gypsy off the windlass tomorrow so that I can find a part number and figure out if I need a new gypsy.

post #4 of 26 Old 12-09-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Like svjobeth we do not have the bowsprit platform on Irish Eyes, so I can't help you there.

We carry two anchors on the bow and started off with a 20 lb CQR and a 35 lb Delta. The CQR was replaced with a 44 lb Bruce and the Delta was later replaced with a 44 lb Rocna. The Rocna is now on 100 ft of 5/16" BBB and 170 of 5/8" nylon and is most often used. The Bruce is on 50 ft of 5/16" BBB and 182 ft of 5/8" nylon. In 12 years of cruising from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas there have been few times that we could have used more than the 100 ft of chain that we have.

On the stern is a Fortress FX-16 on 25 ft of 5/16" BBB and 250 ft of 1/2" nylon that has been used a few times to recover from navigational misadventures.

Our Muir 850 vertical windlass has both a rope capstan and a chain gypsy. The gypsy is stamped 5/16 BBB.

We tried to fit the pattern of a 45 lb Mantus on the bow, but its roll bar struck the bow pulpit tubing under the combined red/green light. There is picture in the last post of this thread https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacifi...chor-37-a.html .

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
post #5 of 26 Old 12-10-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Like svjobeth we do not have the bowsprit platform on Irish Eyes, so I can't help you there.

We carry two anchors on the bow and started off with a 20 lb CQR and a 35 lb Delta. The CQR was replaced with a 44 lb Bruce and the Delta was later replaced with a 44 lb Rocna. The Rocna is now on 100 ft of 5/16" BBB and 170 of 5/8" nylon and is most often used. The Bruce is on 50 ft of 5/16" BBB and 182 ft of 5/8" nylon. In 12 years of cruising from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas there have been few times that we could have used more than the 100 ft of chain that we have.

On the stern is a Fortress FX-16 on 25 ft of 5/16" BBB and 250 ft of 1/2" nylon that has been used a few times to recover from navigational misadventures.

Our Muir 850 vertical windlass has both a rope capstan and a chain gypsy. The gypsy is stamped 5/16 BBB.

We tried to fit the pattern of a 45 lb Mantus on the bow, but its roll bar struck the bow pulpit tubing under the combined red/green light. There is picture in the last post of this thread https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacifi...chor-37-a.html .

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
Thanks Bill (seems there are a lot of us Bills that are also Crealock owners. I guess if you're named Bill you just know a great boat when you see one ). So, given what you use, it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.

I just went back over to the boat earlier today and checked the gypsy. It's a RCB70, which according to S-L is for rope/chain and fits 3/8" G4 or BBB and most European 10mm. I don't find any 5/16 gypsies on the only website that has any legacy parts for the 555.

So, what I'm thinking is that I may stick with the gypsy and order 3/8" chain. However, I don't want to overload my bow. Two hundred feet of 5/16 is in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. So, if I simply get 200 pounds of 3/8, would that be equivalent in terms of giving me good holding power. It would be about 125 feet of 3/8, so 75 feet less. I could make up the difference in length with 8 strand nylon. Right? Any down side to making the substitution? I certainly don't need the extra strength of the 3/8th, just the same weight as the 5/16??
post #6 of 26 Old 12-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
Thanks Bill (seems there are a lot of us Bills that are also Crealock owners. I guess if you're named Bill you just know a great boat when you see one ). So, given what you use, it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.

I just went back over to the boat earlier today and checked the gypsy. It's a RCB70, which according to S-L is for rope/chain and fits 3/8" G4 or BBB and most European 10mm. I don't find any 5/16 gypsies on the only website that has any legacy parts for the 555.

So, what I'm thinking is that I may stick with the gypsy and order 3/8" chain. However, I don't want to overload my bow. Two hundred feet of 5/16 is in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. So, if I simply get 200 pounds of 3/8, would that be equivalent in terms of giving me good holding power. It would be about 125 feet of 3/8, so 75 feet less. I could make up the difference in length with 8 strand nylon. Right? Any down side to making the substitution? I certainly don't need the extra strength of the 3/8th, just the same weight as the 5/16??
Interesting question...me personally, I'd opt for having more chain than line in the water on my primary rode: chafe resistance, better catenary, etc. But that's just me...

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to svjobeth For This Useful Post:
elliowb (12-12-2016)
post #7 of 26 Old 12-11-2016

Indigo does not have the bowsprit either. We carry a 44lb Rocna with 250' 5/16 chain, and the weight hasn't been a problem. In mexico we rarely ever put out more than 125' but we are almost always anchored in 25' or less water. If we go to the pacific islands I think 250' will be just about right. If we stayed here I could lop off 75'. It all depends where you think you will be.

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

The Following User Says Thank You to BMLipiec For This Useful Post:
elliowb (12-12-2016)
post #8 of 26 Old 12-12-2016
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
I have the same gypsy as you and have found only 3/8 BBB works smoothly on mine. I put 150' of 3/8 BBB on my bow. We have only cruised the Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys, and Bahamas (i.e. shallow water), but I have only had all my chain in the water twice. When I replace my chain, I will go with 150' again. I wish I could go with 5/16 HT, but not at the cost of a new windlass.

The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
elliowb (12-12-2016)
post #9 of 26 Old 12-12-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I have the same gypsy as you and have found only 3/8 BBB works smoothly on mine. I put 150' of 3/8 BBB on my bow. We have only cruised the Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys, and Bahamas (i.e. shallow water), but I have only had all my chain in the water twice. When I replace my chain, I will go with 150' again. I wish I could go with 5/16 HT, but not at the cost of a new windlass.
Thanks Raindog. If I end up going with 3/8, I probably won't have any more than that either (that must be close to 250 pounds). I don't want too much weight up in the bow. However, I just got an e-mail from John at the SL Spares website and he stated: "The RCB70 gipsy will fit the 5/16" G43 HT ISO chain as per
https://www.peerlesschain.com/produc...ndlass-Chains/ "

Since the chain is a big expense, just to make sure that it's as smooth as I'd like, I think I'll get a small piece and give it a try. The 5/16 BBB that is on my boat is virtually impossible to bring in with the RCB70 gypsy. Every couple of links, I have to un-jam it from the gypsy so that it drops in the chain locker. The stripper is bent forward at a 45 degree angle, which indicates to me that the PO must have had a jam that went all the way around the gypsy. I'm glad I didn't have to un-jam that mess.

Do you have a pulpit platform on your PSC34 as well? If so, is there a lot of chafe on the teak? I'm going to rebuild the 555 and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile adding a one inch teak pad under the 555 to elevate it and possibly avoid or reduce the wear on the teak of the pulpit platform.

Last edited by elliowb; 12-12-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #10 of 26 Old 12-12-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLipiec View Post
Indigo does not have the bowsprit either. We carry a 44lb Rocna with 250' 5/16 chain, and the weight hasn't been a problem. In mexico we rarely ever put out more than 125' but we are almost always anchored in 25' or less water. If we go to the pacific islands I think 250' will be just about right. If we stayed here I could lop off 75'. It all depends where you think you will be.
Thanks Brian. I definitely plan on getting outside of the Great Lakes and down to the Bahamas and Caribbean. Possibly further afield, but for the time being that is fairly far in the future and is much less probable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in