Bronze Hawse Pipe Covers...Sources?? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 12-10-2016

Re: Bronze Hawse Pipe Covers...Sources??

I found this one, that looks a lot like the one on my PSC 34 (except for the funky looking chain that holds the lid).
https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/...pe-deck-plates

However, it says that they are no longer available. Maybe a call to the company might give you a lead.

Also, I wonder if they were originally made by Davey over in the UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 12-10-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

I know that you are looking for replacement covers for the hawse pipes on your PSC 34. But, if you still have the original covers, and all you want to do is add a hook... on my PSC the original covers have a little raised and drilled tit on the inside bottom of the hinged cover. I tapped the hole and screwed in a bent stainless eye bolt. I did it on both the hawse pipe cover on the bow and the similar cover in the stern. On the bow I now use the eye bolt to hold the end of a bungee cord that keeps the cover closed with the starboard side anchor chain passing through the notch in the cover on its way to the anchor. On the stern the end of the chain is tied with a little piece of 1/8" cord to the bow shackle at the end of the chain so that the weight of the chain keeps the cover closed and so that I can find the end of the chain when I need it.

Are your hawse pipe covers smooth on the inside, or do they have a raised bit? I don't have a photo of mine and will not be back on the boat until mid January, but I will take a picture when we return to the boat.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
post #13 of 25 Old 12-10-2016

Cant see other posts

post #14 of 25 Old 12-11-2016
Dirt Free

I've made many bronze parts from cleats,rode pipes to anchor rollers from bronze. Make a pattern (plaster, plywood, it doesn't matter) or if you have another of the same part take it to any local foundry (every city has at least a couple) and have it sand cast. I had some done last year and was charged $6/lb.

Lots of stuff on Youtube about how you can even do this at home.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 12-11-2016 at 08:02 AM.
post #15 of 25 Old 12-11-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I know that you are looking for replacement covers for the hawse pipes on your PSC 34. But, if you still have the original covers, and all you want to do is add a hook... on my PSC the original covers have a little raised and drilled tit on the inside bottom of the hinged cover. I tapped the hole and screwed in a bent stainless eye bolt. I did it on both the hawse pipe cover on the bow and the similar cover in the stern. On the bow I now use the eye bolt to hold the end of a bungee cord that keeps the cover closed with the starboard side anchor chain passing through the notch in the cover on its way to the anchor. On the stern the end of the chain is tied with a little piece of 1/8" cord to the bow shackle at the end of the chain so that the weight of the chain keeps the cover closed and so that I can find the end of the chain when I need it.

Are your hawse pipe covers smooth on the inside, or do they have a raised bit? I don't have a photo of mine and will not be back on the boat until mid January, but I will take a picture when we return to the boat.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
I've thought of this as well. I'll take a look when I'm home this afternoon. My cover's aren't hinged though, they are/were secured with chain lanyards, which I believe were of brass...but yes, the hook is primarily what I'm after.

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
post #16 of 25 Old 12-11-2016

Have you tried Thumper at PSC? Thumper has helped us out numerous times finding replacement parts.

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 25 Old 12-11-2016
s/v Pelagic

It's possible a Westsail 32 hawse pipe & cover is the same as a Crealock since Bill Crealock did both of them. If that's the case the main resource for W32 parts is Bud Taplin, ex-general manager of Westsail. His site is: www.westsailparts.com - About Us. I checked his parts listing and he shows this item: DKPIPOVL Oval Deck Pipe for anchor chain - SS AA56005 40.00 each.

Here's the link for his parts listing: www.westsailparts.com - About Us

John Newcomer
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl (#22)
Lying Lake Union, WA
post #18 of 25 Old 12-11-2016

Have a complete one that's surplus to me. Used but in decent shape. We're away from home till after New Years so would have to wait to ship. Make me an offer.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-12-2016
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

I had the same issue with my cover on my Cape Dory 30B. The starboard cover was missing and using tin cans and plastic was just not cutting it. I looked into having one made and it was going to involve providing the other cover for a period of time as well as $200 or so in cash.

Based upon recommendations I stopped by at Bacons Sails (I have no association with them other than being a satisfied customer) and asked about available covers. I was directed to a box of various covers and in about 5 seconds discovered the exact match for my missing cover. It was a complete set to include the thru deck fitting so it likely cost me a bit more but for the grand cost of $10 the set was mine.

I took off the deteriorated chrome with some sandpaper and the results turned out so nice that I went ahead and put some clear coat on it. Now I have to do the port side!

I would recommend giving Bacons a call, they seem to be very helpful. Their number is 410-263-4880. Even with shipping costs you might save a few bucks.

I've added a couple of photos of what I got, you can see what the cover looked like prior to cleaning off the chrome by looking at the deck fitting.

V/r

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Cap.jpg   Replacement Hawser cover.jpg  
seabeau likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-12-2016
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

I should have noted (since some folks might, especially not in the Chesapeake bay area and may not be familiar with Bacons) that the establishment has sailing "junk" like what someone would have in their basement after sailing for 50 years but multiplied by a million. I spent half a day there just looking and couldn't depart without spending a lot more than the $10 for the cover...many other treasures. I understand they got their start by recycling used sails and then expanded.

Great resource for Sailors!

V/r

Pete

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in