Reroute engine "stop cable"? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 01-19-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Re: Reroute engine "stop cable"?

I have a Yanmar 2GM and the stop cable is on the panel in the cockpit. It was recommended to me that I move it off the panel. The reason was the panel lifts a little when pulling on the cable and could break the seal on any bedding used around the panel.

You could probably just put it anywhere convenient, for regular use, and/or in an emergency.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 01-19-2017
Barquito

Under the seat would be a lot better than where my choke pull (same knob as diesel kill) is located. Mine is on the bottom of the side seats. When heeled, we need to dance around a little to avoid stepping on the thing. Our ignition switch is inside the cabin.

Valiant 32
post #13 of 18 Old 01-19-2017
Noah's Bosun

Anywhere you can reach it with reasonable ease and out of the way enough to avoid getting around the cockpit. Don't overthink it...

Would not go to electric even if it were an option... Most solenoid stops need to be energized to open the fuel shutoff valve on the injector pump. As the draw is pretty good, they will usually also have a relay to pass the higher solenoid current. Switch failure, relay failure, solenoid failure, or power failure will kill your iron genoa. 9 out of 10 diesel gensets I work on that have starting issues are related to the fuel shutoff (which for remote operation) is usually electric.

Mechanical guages... Mechanical fuel shutoff... Mechanical Throttle control... No lies, and easy to rig busted stuff in an emergency.

Just sayin
olson34 and albrazzi like this.

"If the wind will not serve, lay to the oars"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-20-2017

Going to Hush today, will get a pic.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hush34 For This Useful Post:
chrisryba (01-23-2017)
post #15 of 18 Old 01-20-2017

Chris, Sounds like you are having the same problem I had with Hush. Our pedestal was in poor condition too. The biggest problem we had was not having the ability to change the steering cable should a break occur. The housing for the throttle and clutch welded it's stainless flat head screws to the aluminum housing and there was no breaking them free. We considered going to a tiller, but the Admiral wasn't too keen and even threatened to never take the helm as long as she had to steer with a "stick." After a considerable amount of research I contacted Edson and ordered a Vision series pedestal. It is the newer more modern version that integrates the hand hold into the pedestal itself. It comes standard with a very nice console to install a Nav Plotter. I am not installing an outdoor MDT instead we have ours at the nav station. Underway, we use a iPad for viewing and control. Works for us and I don't have to worry so much about theft or damaging seawater. I will try to send some pictures for you to see what we did. Until then take care.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hush34 For This Useful Post:
chrisryba (01-21-2017)
post #16 of 18 Old 04-07-2017
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Kinda late to this, but just rerouted our Yanmar stop cable because it frankly was corroded and suspect, also on pedestal where maybe could be tempted to reach though wheel in emergency (thought about that once already!) Anyway it ended up in the Starboard combing/winch handle box. short route, out of weather, close at hand, not likely to snag on anything.

Pondering new pedestal someday but just replaced all the cables and chain for the steering so will live with the nonstandard sized grab bar, no longer being made, Merriman. It's pretty solid just old. Kinda like the rest of our boat!
post #17 of 18 Old 04-08-2017

Depends on architecture / ergonomics of the boat and how you typical motor.

Mine is on a recess next to the engine instruments on the stbd coaming. It's not reach able from behind the helm... but I don't see stopping the engine needs to accessible from the helm per se. On my boat I've never felt there would be a better place. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
PA070010.jpg  
post #18 of 18 Old 04-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I have a Yanmar 2GM and the stop cable is on the panel in the cockpit. It was recommended to me that I move it off the panel. The reason was the panel lifts a little when pulling on the cable and could break the seal on any bedding used around the panel.

You could probably just put it anywhere convenient, for regular use, and/or in an emergency.
My panel was replaced a few years ago because it was cracked where the engine stop was located--obviously due to stress when activating the stop cable. When the new panel was installed we mounted the stop cable directly to the fiberglass to the right of the panel.

The ordinary location was to the right of the R in Yanmar on the factory panel, but the new panel had the same weakness as the old. Dumb design by Yanmar!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0802.jpg  
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in