SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Reroute engine "stop cable"? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/274402-reroute-engine-stop-cable.html)

chrisryba 01-18-2017 07:22 PM

Reroute engine "stop cable"?

Hi Folks,
As part of a fairly extensive refit, I'd like to move the engine stop cable from the pedestal. I was considering under the cockpit seat, behind the helm, but open to suggestions. Has anyone moved their stop cable??
Any info would be appreciated.
CR

capta 01-18-2017 07:41 PM

Re: Reroute engine "stop cable"?

I would think that this is one item you would want placed as conveniently near the helm as possible. After all, it could also be called the emergency engine shut down.

RegisteredUser 01-18-2017 07:50 PM

What are you planning/hoping to gain by moving it?
Different routing underdeck to accommodate something else?

Minnesail 01-18-2017 07:57 PM

I've been on a lot of boats where the only way to reach the shutoff is to reach through the wheel, and I've always been told that reaching through the wheel is a no-no. That would be a reason to re-route it.

chrisryba 01-18-2017 08:45 PM

To clarify: the pedestal is corroded. As is the platform situated beneath the compass that supports the pedestal guard and to which the stop cable plunger is attached. I want to fix the pedestal and replace the platform and pedestal guard to accommodate new instruments. That leaves me with the stop cable plunger--if it is no longer attached to the platform, where can I reroute it? Mechanic at the boatyard suggested running the cable to the cockpit seat, with the plunger just beneath for easy access from the helm. I am leery of this idea.

sachemgfp 01-19-2017 07:24 AM

Have you considered the electrical option( apushbutton on the engine instrument panel)which opens the solenoid. This option was available for Yanmar engines.

wsmurdoch 01-19-2017 08:55 AM

We have a tiller steered Pacific Seacraft 34. Our engine stop handle is in the port cockpit locker. It is where the factory put it. The Teleflex cable runs from there to the lever on the engine.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/t...h/P1191103.jpg

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

Hush34 01-19-2017 09:44 AM

I recently put a new pedestal on Hush. I routed the stop cable to come out under the helm seat and thru one of the teak slats that that run athwartship. Easy reach to the helm, very sturdy and out of the way.

chrisryba 01-19-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hush34 (Post 3793818)
I recently put a new pedestal on Hush. I routed the stop cable to come out under the helm seat and thru one of the teak slats that that run athwartship. Easy reach to the helm, very sturdy and out of the way.

You wouldnt happen to have a picture would you?

chrisryba 01-19-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachemgfp (Post 3793634)
Have you considered the electrical option( apushbutton on the engine instrument panel)which opens the solenoid. This option was available for Yanmar engines.

Thanks. The boatyard tells me that this option is not available for a 1990 Yanmar. Currently looking for a second opinion.