Rebedding Water Tank Lid - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 05-22-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Rebedding Water Tank Lid

All? Probably not, these days. Maybe the "Number One Best Top Quality Export Grade" stuff from Shenzhen. [Slap! Bad monkey!] I really don't know, I haven't read the contents on silicone sealant in a long time, but I'd bet whatever has a "mildecide" in it, isn't good to use around drinking water.

These days, someone out there is making and selling anything you might need. Or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 05-22-2017

Our Ontario 32 has a very similar tank. When I bought the boat, there was just a plywood lid and the bin was used for storage. However, it was intended to be the holding tank and since boat did not have one, I converted it.

I made a new cover out of a product similar to Starboard. It looks just like the one in Toddoh72s first post, except white.

Not much sticks to the plastic I used, so I did some experimenting. In the end, I used Marine Goop! However, I have at least twice as many screws as Toddoh and each one has a large fender washer. The span between washers is quite small. (I learned to do this when trying to seal external bolt-on Plexiglass windows on an earlier boat. They always leaked until I added more bolts. Bolt or screw holes need to be slightly oversize so as to allow for some movement.

My holding tank has been in service now for about 10 years. No leaks and no smells (well ventilated tank!)

ADDED: Our water tanks are under the settee berths. They may have originally had covers, but are now glassed over (problem solved!) There are clean out ports.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 05-22-2017 at 09:20 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-26-2017
s/v Pelagic

We replaced our plywood tank lids with the gray PVC ones from PSC about 20 years ago. Robin, Thumper's predecessor, sold us the 3M sealant along with the lids. I don't recall the 3M product number but there was a primer/accelerator that Robin said was essential to use for a good bond. We have had no leaks since the installation even after a Baja Bash back north from Mexico.

s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl
The Following User Says Thank You to jnewcomer For This Useful Post:
fefrich (12-18-2017)

post #14 of 20 Old 10-28-2017

toddoh72: Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I'm going through the very same project on a PSC37 and wondering which path you took. I have the same gray plastic lid that was put on with a silicone of unknown type. After taking all the screws out the lid lifted off as if the silicone was not even attached. I have a hard time believing that a fresh application of silicone will do the trick.

Looked at the PTFE tape and am intrigued. But how does it do around the tight corners?
granche1 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailorMike333 For This Useful Post:
fefrich (12-18-2017)
post #15 of 20 Old 10-29-2017
s/v Pelagic

I found a copy of the instructions from Robin (Thumper's predecessor in Fullerton) regarding installing the PVC tank lids. I have attached it here but the important point is that he stresses using Dow Corning 1205 Primer and Dow Corning 999A Clear Silicone. As mentioned in my previous post our tank lids have been on for many years without any leaks.

Note, this doc is a fax dated 2007 to another owner but is identical to the instructions Robin gave me in 1998.

John
s/v Pelagic
Attached Thumbnails
Watertank-PVC-Instructions.jpg  
sailorMike333 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jnewcomer For This Useful Post:
fefrich (12-18-2017), granche1 (05-11-2018)
post #16 of 20 Old 10-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewcomer View Post
I found a copy of the instructions from Robin (Thumper's predecessor in Fullerton) regarding installing the PVC tank lids. I have attached it here but the important point is that he stresses using Dow Corning 1205 Primer and Dow Corning 999A Clear Silicone. As mentioned in my previous post our tank lids have been on for many years without any leaks.

Note, this doc is a fax dated 2007 to another owner but is identical to the instructions Robin gave me in 1998.

John
s/v Pelagic
I rebedded my aft PVC tank lid last season with the 999A silicone and following the instructions posted by John. So far, it is holding well. I had one screw that had ever so slight a leak. I eventually had to remove the screw and I filled the hole with 5200 and that seems to have solved the problem.

Bill
Belle Voile
PSC 34
The Following User Says Thank You to elliowb For This Useful Post:
fefrich (12-18-2017)
post #17 of 20 Old 12-07-2017

I saw your post on sealing PSC 34 water tank. I was just scoping out this project myself for my 1992 PSC 34. How did you wind up doing this project? What sealant did you wind up using??? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Rich Feffer
Green Ayes PSC 34
Key Biscayne
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefrich View Post
I saw your post on sealing PSC 34 water tank. I was just scoping out this project myself for my 1992 PSC 34. How did you wind up doing this project? What sealant did you wind up using??? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Rich Feffer
Green Ayes PSC 34
Key Biscayne
The most painful part of the job was carefully removing the PVC without damaging it. I cut all around with a utility knife and cut away as much of the sealant as possible. Then, beginning at the forward edge, I used large flat blade screw drivers to gingerly pry up a corner of the lid. I also used wooden wedges (door shims from HD work well) to hold up the corner that I got loose. I worked around the forward edge gently prying up and also cutting the sealant with the utility knife (I used one with the snap-off blades so I could extend it out and reach as far under the lip as possible) as I went. Eventually I got enough of it up (about a foot and a half back) that I could easily reach under the lid and cut away the remaining sealant and easily got the rest of the lid off.

Then clean up and follow the instructions that John posted above to rebed it. So far it's been holding.

I guess the other pain about this job is working back in the limited space of the quarter berth, but that's just typical on a boat the size of the PSC 34.

-- Bill
Belle Voile
PSC 34

Last edited by elliowb; 12-07-2017 at 11:04 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-07-2017

I used clear Lifeseal and added about 8 extra screws (total) in between the existing ones where the tank lid attachment was narrow and previously leaked. Let it sit for about a month to cure before adding water just yesterday. Only able to test with the pressure of water coming down the fill tube but so far so good. In the water next week and will start sloshing things around.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-18-2017

Thanks to all for the help on this. I spoke with PSC and they recommended replacing the lid(s) on the tank, then quoted me $2100 for just the quarter-berth tank. Seems high so I am going to try and re-seal existing lid as per the notes and comments above... I'll let y'all know how it turns out...
granche1 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in