am I the only person who wants shades/curtains? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 06-24-2017

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: am I the only person who wants shades/curtains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbarton View Post
I know I've posted a previous thread about curtains/shades for the portlights, and thanks to those who responded with ideas. Truth is, I've never needed to sleep aboard since I live very close to my marina, so figuring out a solution for window shades was not high on the project priority list. That has changed, as I'm planning a multi-day trip for later this summer, so it has moved to near top of the to-do list. I need something to effectively block the orange sodium lamp light streaming in from the dock lights at night so I can get some sleep!

I've looked at quite a few different varieties of shades and curtains, but none so far seem to viable options (other than custom solution) because none that I have found will fit over the two dogs on bottom of each portlight.

I contacted Pacific Seacraft and asked what sort of shades/curtains are installed on new boats they are building, but the response I got implied that they don't put them in their new boats at all. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who would want shades, but it certainly seems that way.

One idea I have is to have rectangular covers made using the same Sunbrella canvas that my dodger/bimini are made of, with velcro strips sewn at top and bottom, and placing adhesive velcro strips above and below the portlights to stick them to (with cut-outs for the dogs to fit into so the fabric can be stretched tight across the glass). I'm not sure it would look very nice though. Worse come to worse, I know I could the two ports in the forward cabin with sail bags or something, but that isn't a long-term solution.

If anyone would like to respond and include of photo of curtains/shades you have on your boat, that would be very helpful!
There is an earlier thread... https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacifi...s-ps-34-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 06-25-2017
al brazzi

On the last boat we made cheap sewn curtains pulled tight out of wee-eater string and electrical crimp eyes.. The stretch was just right. I try to look into my Boat now and even if you can see something you have to stare pretty creepily to make anything out. If you really need them you will find a way.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Edit: We used neodymium magnets for our main portlights (aluminum extrusions on the inside and outside of the hull)
We installed long skinny magnets behind the inner extrusions and sewed in magnets in the covers as well.
They matched up by installing the magnets behind the aluminum AFTER making the covers.
How do those magnets affect your compass? I always cringe when people talk of using magnets on boats. But then, being old school, I still use my compass
Atlas likes this.

post #14 of 31 Old 06-25-2017

This is certainly not the most elegant solution, and may be difficult if you have lots of ports, but for a few in a cabin this is an easy "blackout" method:

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango
The Following User Says Thank You to StarwindMango For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-25-2017)
post #15 of 31 Old 06-25-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
How do those magnets affect your compass? I always cringe when people talk of using magnets on boats. But then, being old school, I still use my compass
One would certainly hope that the portlights down below, that are covered by these magnet attached curtains, are more than 3 feet away from the boat's compass.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 31 Old 06-25-2017
Lou Ann

Hi, we have a 1987 with the bronze oval.
We made fabric covers with elastic (think shower cap) with dark blue nautical cloth.
To start we made two cardboard templates, one for the large and one for the small portlights.
Cut the material larger then the template, folded the edge and sewed in elastic.
They fit nicely and when not used we roll them up and use clothes pins to attach to each portlight.
Sorry we do not have any photos.
The Following User Says Thank You to LouAnn34 For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-25-2017)
post #17 of 31 Old 06-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
One would certainly hope that the portlights down below, that are covered by these magnet attached curtains, are more than 3 feet away from the boat's compass.
I agree - I would hope they are at least that far away, preferably further.

Sensitivity of a compass to magnets is no doubt a function of distance. But it also depends on the strength of the magnets. There is no 3ft rule. Some electronics manufacturers may use that, based on the strength of the magnets in their products.

A bulkhead compass on a small boat could easily be within 3 -4 ft of a cabin window.

It's bad enough having speakers and other items with magnets to deal with, but in my view, no need to add more magnets when non magnetic alternatives are available. Keep them for the fridge

Last edited by FreeAgent; 06-25-2017 at 09:05 PM.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-26-2017

Sailrite has a video on making boat curtains.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-26-2017)
post #19 of 31 Old 06-26-2017

I had some plexiglas cut at the local plastic store, TapPlastic. They perfectly match the shape of the ports with radiused corners. The cost was minimal, I think the cutting charge was $1 each. I attach them to the port frames with sticky backed velcro and it works great, but after a three or four years, the velcro needs to be replaced on some of the frames. They are simple to put up and remove and, when they aren't in use, they are nice and flat and take up minimal storage space. The only down side is the appearance of the velcro on the frames.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnharch For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (07-01-2017)
post #20 of 31 Old 06-27-2017

This is as solution that works against mosquitoes and sun.
Faster likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (07-01-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in