am I the only person who wants shades/curtains? - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-24-2017 Thread Starter

am I the only person who wants shades/curtains?

I know I've posted a previous thread about curtains/shades for the portlights, and thanks to those who responded with ideas. Truth is, I've never needed to sleep aboard since I live very close to my marina, so figuring out a solution for window shades was not high on the project priority list. That has changed, as I'm planning a multi-day trip for later this summer, so it has moved to near top of the to-do list. I need something to effectively block the orange sodium lamp light streaming in from the dock lights at night so I can get some sleep!

I've looked at quite a few different varieties of shades and curtains, but none so far seem to viable options (other than custom solution) because none that I have found will fit over the two dogs on bottom of each portlight.

I contacted Pacific Seacraft and asked what sort of shades/curtains are installed on new boats they are building, but the response I got implied that they don't put them in their new boats at all. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who would want shades, but it certainly seems that way.

One idea I have is to have rectangular covers made using the same Sunbrella canvas that my dodger/bimini are made of, with velcro strips sewn at top and bottom, and placing adhesive velcro strips above and below the portlights to stick them to (with cut-outs for the dogs to fit into so the fabric can be stretched tight across the glass). I'm not sure it would look very nice though. Worse come to worse, I know I could the two ports in the forward cabin with sail bags or something, but that isn't a long-term solution.

If anyone would like to respond and include of photo of curtains/shades you have on your boat, that would be very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-24-2017

Re: am I the only person who wants shades/curtains?

I came across someone down south that had custom made blinds installed - looked fantastic and really worked great. Just may be an option for your boat as well.

Good luck,

Gary
post #3 of 31 Old 06-24-2017
Master Mariner

I would suggest you go online and check out just plain old curtain hanging systems. There are an infinite variety available that would be much cheaper than custom made individual covers. Then you just need some cloth with the whatever they are called that run in the track, sewed in. Very easy and inexpensive.
Pictured are ours.
Attached Thumbnails
curtains.jpg  
RegisteredUser likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 31 Old 06-24-2017
Dirt Free

Homemade blinds (no sewing machine).
Attached Thumbnails
2ba.jpg   18d.jpg   m5.gif  

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-25-2017)
post #5 of 31 Old 06-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbarton View Post

One idea I have is to have rectangular covers made using the same Sunbrella canvas that my dodger/bimini are made of, with velcro strips sewn at top and bottom, and placing adhesive velcro strips above and below the portlights to stick them to (with cut-outs for the dogs to fit into so the fabric can be stretched tight across the glass). I'm not sure it would look very nice though. .....
My wife must have dark at night, and she has done what you've suggested above with dark material (not Sunbrella, but similar) and velcro tabs to cover an aft cabin cockpit portlight and a small deck prism above our berth.

Not terribly nice to look at but they are stowed during the day and only in the aft cabin.

We have dark smoked plexi ports in the main cabin, of course they offer no privacy at night so we have curtains there, using a pretty nice system sold by Sailrite.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969
seabeau likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-24-2017)
post #6 of 31 Old 06-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
X....Then you just need some cloth with the whatever they are called that run in the track, sewed in. Very easy and inexpensive.
Pictured are ours.
Good on ya - You used the correct marine term: whatevers
Yes, this wheel has be invented and reinvented many times.

Years ago, bead curtains with some incense was pretty cool...
But...they tend to sway on a boat...
post #7 of 31 Old 06-24-2017

We used "Peek-a-Boo" blinds made by Zarcor on JUNO, our Pacific Seacraft 40, during the years we owned her and cruised. They fit inside the port's trim ring (so there's no issue with the dogs) and attach to the glass using small Velcro dots. You have the option of sliding them open or closed or simply removing them completely from the port. There's a pretty neat little gif at the Zarcor website that demonstrates how the operate. I tried to upload it, but I'm not sure it worked. If not, here's a link: CloZures privacy shutters for sailboat portlights and hatches.

The company had templates for a lot of boats on file and we found them easy to work with.

Not sure that's what you're looking for, but they worked for us...

Fair winds,

Roger Lopata
Attached Thumbnails
CloZures_ani.gif  
oysterman23 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ralopata For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-25-2017)
post #8 of 31 Old 06-24-2017

My boat came with curtains. Then I was on a boat that had taken them down, and it felt roomier inside. My curtains are now stored securely in a bag at home. We have external covers that we sometimes use (they also protect the windows and keep the heat out), and we have a shade for the head.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-25-2017)
post #9 of 31 Old 06-24-2017

We have used the same system on most of cruising boats we have owned. Simple and cheap were the specs! We have 4 S/S cup hooks on each window with stretch type curtain wire fitted top and bottom. Curtains have a hem top and bottom are ruffled and made from a sheer type fabric that cuts visibility through windows yet still allows light in to keep boat bright.

Atlas and seabeau like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeAgent For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-25-2017)
post #10 of 31 Old 06-24-2017
CF Escapee

Do a search for blackout fabric.
We made a rectangle with velcro for our V berth hatch and two side portlights.

Or get a BB gun for that lamp.
JUST KIDDING ! (sort of)

Edit: We used neodymium magnets for our main portlights (aluminum extrusions on the inside and outside of the hull)
We installed long skinny magnets behind the inner extrusions and sewed in magnets in the covers as well.
They matched up by installing the magnets behind the aluminum AFTER making the covers.
Hot glue is your friend.
We just toss the covers on the portlights and they stick THROUGH the aluminum.
midwesterner likes this.

Last edited by senormechanico; 06-24-2017 at 08:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to senormechanico For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (06-25-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in