jiffy reefing mainsail crealock 34 - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jvlassak
  • 1 Post By jvlassak

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2017 Thread Starter

jiffy reefing mainsail crealock 34

I have just purchased a PS 34. The prior owner removed all the reefing lines but the hardware is still there. The boom has a gadget on it with 2 cheek blocks mounted on a track near the mast. Apparently there was a jiffy reefing system. It is not obvious to me how to run the lines (I think there must be a few blocks to mount at the mast base?)

Anyone know how this set up looks? I think it was single line reefing with reef points on the mainsail? I am not on the boat but I believe the boom has internal line capacity. La Feil mast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2017

Re: jiffy reefing mainsail crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster2 View Post
I have just purchased a PS 34. The prior owner removed all the reefing lines but the hardware is still there. The boom has a gadget on it with 2 cheek blocks mounted on a track near the mast. Apparently there was a jiffy reefing system. It is not obvious to me how to run the lines (I think there must be a few blocks to mount at the mast base?)

Anyone know how this set up looks? I think it was single line reefing with reef points on the mainsail? I am not on the boat but I believe the boom has internal line capacity. La Feil mast
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, however, I have the diagram from PS that shows how the reef lines are setup. It's on my boat, so as soon as I get back to the boat (a day or two) I'll make a copy for you.

-- Bill Elliott
PSC 34
Belle Voile
post #3 of 9 Old 07-05-2017 Thread Starter

Bill,
Thanks. I need to study my boat more (probably before I posted this). I'm used to the old standard reefing at the mast, but it would be nice to reef from the cockpit and someone obviously spent a lot of money setting up a system to do just that but it does not appear to be identical to what I have found on the net. Hoping this is something done on other PS 34's

John

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-2017

I'd be interested in how people set up their reef lines too. I had a setup with single-line reefing for both first and second reef, but friction in the system made it difficult to get get the right tension on the sail and to raise the sail. Last year, I used the same line to change to a double-line reef system that works quite well. Main drawback is that I can lead only the first-reef lines to the cockpit without adding additional hardware.

The way it is set up right now (double-line reef), the line forms a sliding loop around the boom, goes through the first reef cringle, and then to the sheave at the aft end of the boom. From there, it exists the fore end of the boom to a block at the base of the mast, and then to the cockpit. From the cockpit the line goes back to another block at the base of the mast, through the first reef tack, and then to an attachment point on the mast.
toddoh72 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster2 View Post
Bill,
Thanks. I need to study my boat more (probably before I posted this). I'm used to the old standard reefing at the mast, but it would be nice to reef from the cockpit and someone obviously spent a lot of money setting up a system to do just that but it does not appear to be identical to what I have found on the net. Hoping this is something done on other PS 34's

John
Here is a photo of the rigging plan that PS used in 1994. I can PDF it if you want to print off a copy to keep with your boat papers, just let me know.
[IMG]Untitled by Bill, on Flickr[/IMG]
-- Bill Elliott
PSC 34
Belle Voile
The Following User Says Thank You to elliowb For This Useful Post:
wsmurdoch (07-09-2017)
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-2017

Bill's rigging plan more or less describes my current setup - works quite well, except for the fact I cannot lead aft the lines for the second reef.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #7 of 9 Old 07-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
I'd be interested in how people set up their reef lines too. I had a setup with single-line reefing for both first and second reef, but friction in the system made it difficult to get get the right tension on the sail and to raise the sail. Last year, I used the same line to change to a double-line reef system that works quite well. Main drawback is that I can lead only the first-reef lines to the cockpit without adding additional hardware.

The way it is set up right now (double-line reef), the line forms a sliding loop around the boom, goes through the first reef cringle, and then to the sheave at the aft end of the boom. From there, it exists the fore end of the boom to a block at the base of the mast, and then to the cockpit. From the cockpit the line goes back to another block at the base of the mast, through the first reef tack, and then to an attachment point on the mast.
That sounds like the way shown in the diagram in my PSC 34 manual. See the above post. It also sounds as if with the 'single-handed' option, all reefing lines were led back to the cockpit. My PSC was set up with the reefing lines for the clew run back to the cockpit like you describe and for the tack there is a short nylon strap through the crinkle with a ring on each end. One of the rings loops around a hook at the gooseneck. So that requires one to go forward to the mast to put the ring over the hook.

-- Bill Elliott
PSC 34
Belle Voile

Last edited by elliowb; 07-09-2017 at 01:55 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-2017

Bill, you're right about my current setup. The main drawback is that I cannot lead the second reef lines to the cockpit.
My main doesn't have the nylon straps at the reef tacks, so I need the extra lines for the tacks.
elliowb likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-05-2017

On the single hander package with all lines led aft to cockpit, a solution that was present on my boat when purchased was to have blocks attached to those rings so that in theory just pulling in the lines would hold the front of the sail down without going forward to hook the ring on the mast....I had mixed results using that setup as sometimes the block would get jammed up and I would have to go forward anyway. Ended up taking the blocks off but I saw the merit in the intent.

Todd and Celia
S/V Eileen
PSC 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in