PSC lust - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 07-27-2017

Re: PSC lust

I haven't sailed a Flicka, but I used to own another Bruce Bingham design, and I found the boat sailed better than the numerical figures and common wisdom might suggest, she had similar ratios to the Flicka.

It's true you will be motoring in light winds, but that's what I see most people doing any way. The boat is probably over kill for Chesapeake Bay, but I suspect she'd be pretty comfortable in all but the worst blows.

Note the Flicka 20 is 800 pounds heavier than the PSC 25. She'd be a lot of boat to trailer.

There used to be a company that had a Flicka 20 in their charter fleet on the Bay of Quinte in Canada, but I think they maybe might not be around any more because my google searches are turning up nothing.

Last edited by Arcb; 07-27-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 07-27-2017 Thread Starter

Monty 23 FS in Deale as-we-speak ;-)

Sage makes a fine Monty too. The Cat looks nice. But 17 is still a bit small for what we want right now.

Dana's... yep. Seem to always be 2x the cost of a Flicka. That's a lot for a coupla feet.

So... I keep thinking 20 or 25
post #13 of 17 Old 08-02-2017
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Well you will get 20 different opinions from 20 different folks, that is to be expected, so......here's another!

We returned to sailing in the fall of 2015 after a 25 year hiatus with a Compac 23 diesel. She was a great sailing boat, marginally trailerable, marginally easy to rig, marginally comfortable to stay on, you get the idea. One early summer day in 2016, hunched over below decks in the rain, we looked at each other and said "we need a bigger boat!" That 23 was both simultaneously too small and too big. Too small to stay aboard for any length of time and too large to be a simple to rig and transport vessel. So, when you have something both too small and too big, you will need two things to replace it!

We had lusted after a PSC31, a new design from WIB Crealock, when we gave up sailing, we had also learned to sail on a Compac 16 a buzzilion years ago. Well we now have both. They compliment each other as one allows us to get out for those light wind, summer gunk holing trips, and sharpen our sailing skills while the other gives us a real place to stay (we live almost 3 hours from our boats which are on the Chesapeake) with those extended trips as our skills and time allow.

You may wish to consider that one boat may not fill your needs. All designs are compromises for something, but it is a fact that if you don't find yourself turning around to look at her as you leave her, you are gunna end up having an affair and getting another. We pinch ourselves that we have the boats we have. They both are selling for what they cost new and have classic lines that never go out of style. We have to like the way they look as well as how they sail. Looks and personality! If you strive for that you will not be disappointed. Hope this helps, it works for us.
elliowb likes this.

Last edited by Interlude; 08-02-2017 at 05:01 AM.

post #14 of 17 Old 08-02-2017 Thread Starter

Interestingly, we've talked about whether we would sell our M-15 (much like your Compac-16) and as you have pointed out, we've concluded we would miss the ability to trailer to mountain lakes. I've also started looking a little bigger than 20-25 and wondering if I should scratch trailerability off the list :-)
post #15 of 17 Old 08-02-2017
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
Interestingly, we've talked about whether we would sell our M-15 (much like your Compac-16) and as you have pointed out, we've concluded we would miss the ability to trailer to mountain lakes. I've also started looking a little bigger than 20-25 and wondering if I should scratch trailerability off the list :-)
I would! Even trailering a 23 and trying to rig it, and mostly launch and recover it taught us that as far as a trailer sailer that less is more. We absolutely love the size of the 31. Shoal draft yet built to cross oceans and sea kindly plus seaworthy.

I noticed you are in the Shenandoah Valley. We live outside of Charlottesville. This weekend there is a gathering of the small sailing club at our marina on Saturday. I do know a fellow that is bringing his Flicka and joining us. Maybe you should consider a road trip for Saturday! You can see a Flicka and a 31 and compare. They allow non-members to attend for a $5 contribution for the grill and beverages. Folks are encouraged to bring sides. It is a Cheeseburger in Paradise theme so tacky flowered shirts i am sure will be visible! There are also several Compac owners coming from other locations and joining in.

Hey why not! Reach out if interested and I will provide particulars. Oh, there is a 23D at our marina as well.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-02-2017
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Well you will get 20 different opinions from 20 different folks, that is to be expected, so......here's another!

We returned to sailing in the fall of 2015 after a 25 year hiatus with a Compac 23 diesel. She was a great sailing boat, marginally trailerable, marginally easy to rig, marginally comfortable to stay on, you get the idea. One early summer day in 2016, hunched over below decks in the rain, we looked at each other and said "we need a bigger boat!" That 23 was both simultaneously too small and too big. Too small to stay aboard for any length of time and too large to be a simple to rig and transport vessel. So, when you have something both too small and too big, you will need two things to replace it!

We had lusted after a PSC31, a new design from WIB Crealock, when we gave up sailing, we had also learned to sail on a Compac 16 a buzzilion years ago. Well we now have both. They compliment each other as one allows us to get out for those light wind, summer gunk holing trips, and sharpen our sailing skills while the other gives us a real place to stay (we live almost 3 hours from our boats which are on the Chesapeake) with those extended trips as our skills and time allow.

You may wish to consider that one boat may not fill your needs. All designs are compromises for something, but it is a fact that if you don't find yourself turning around to look at her as you leave her, you are gunna end up having an affair and getting another. We pinch ourselves that we have the boats we have. They both are selling for what they cost new and have classic lines that never go out of style. We have to like the way they look as well as how they sail. Looks and personality! If you strive for that you will not be disappointed. Hope this helps, it works for us.
I like that approach! If you have room to put a small trailerable in your driveway, they could be no more expensive than a new autopilot on the big boat. And totally free if you can later sell the small boat for what you bought for.

Valiant 32
post #17 of 17 Old 08-02-2017 Thread Starter

PM sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I would! Even trailering a 23 and trying to rig it, and mostly launch and recover it taught us that as far as a trailer sailer that less is more. We absolutely love the size of the 31. Shoal draft yet built to cross oceans and sea kindly plus seaworthy.

I noticed you are in the Shenandoah Valley. We live outside of Charlottesville. This weekend there is a gathering of the small sailing club at our marina on Saturday. I do know a fellow that is bringing his Flicka and joining us. Maybe you should consider a road trip for Saturday! You can see a Flicka and a 31 and compare. They allow non-members to attend for a $5 contribution for the grill and beverages. Folks are encouraged to bring sides. It is a Cheeseburger in Paradise theme so tacky flowered shirts i am sure will be visible! There are also several Compac owners coming from other locations and joining in.

Hey why not! Reach out if interested and I will provide particulars. Oh, there is a 23D at our marina as well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in