PSC lust - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-27-2017 Thread Starter

PSC lust

I've done my homework, but still not satisfied with what I could find online. Here's my question: Assuming I'm going to sail mostly the Chesapeake Bay, with only a relatively rare coastal outing, should I be looking at a Flicka or '25? I've checked out a 25 - smitten by the 'look', but somewhat concerned about standing room (lack thereof) and performance. 20 wins in first regard, not sure about performance? Another appeal of '25 is that they seem to be underpriced.

Ok, so there is no answer and I have to decide for myself, but if there are any bay Flicka or PSC25 sailors here that are bored enough to comment, I'd be in your debt!

Desire is: modest sized couple to be able to spend a week or two at a time on bay. Possibly trailer off-season. Possibly wander down to keys and beyond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-27-2017

Re: PSC lust

These 2 boats are surprisingly similar in many ways. For me, the choice would boil down to price, equipment, and condition.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 17 Old 07-27-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks... Comparing specs is a rabbit-hole and hard to find anyone with first-hand knowledge of both. The 25 is so dang 'shippy' but the Flicka's (particularly those with toilet next to companionway ladder) look so 'liveable' :-P
a

post #4 of 17 Old 07-27-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

While I agree that purchasing a boat is often an emotional rather than practical decision, I feel compelled to point out that these boats will not sail well on the Chesapeake, during the summers. They are heavy and undercanvassed for their size. They will do a little better in the spring and fall, when the breezes are fresher.

As long as you know that going in, and are prepared to accept those shortcomings, enjoy!

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax_MD For This Useful Post:
timangiel (08-05-2017)
post #5 of 17 Old 07-27-2017 Thread Starter

Yes, I'm struggling with that. So far, I'm erring on the side of sea-kindliness (does their short length make that a false proposition?) rather then performance. Since the intent is to multi-day gunkhole, I'd rather get slammed aboard a 6000 PSC than a Compac 23 for instance (another trailerable option), or so my reasoning goes.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-27-2017
Old enough to know better

They really are great go anywhere boats, but is this your first boat? If so I would buy something a bit lighter and responsive to learn on. The heavy beasts can really hide what is going on, can be good once you know what your doing, but not great for learning. You can learn on anything, but it is not a bad idea to get a little (20 to 26 footer) light weight boat with tiller to play with for a season or two. You may find it is all you need, as wile the bay can get choppy it is very light winds most of the summer and a light weight boat can be more fun. They can be almost disposable cheap, and if a well respected brand should sell quickly if kept clean. Think Catalina, Ericson, Person etc, extra bonus points for a trailer even if you only use it for winter storage next to the house, can save a lot of money. You might look out for a VENTURE NEWPORT 23, as they are very "shippy" and trailerable but have a sail aria to displacement of almost 26 so she should move along in a very light breeze! I know someone who kept one on a mooring and he seemed to spend about every weekend on her, and he loves it.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/Pics/picventure23101a.jpg

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #7 of 17 Old 07-27-2017 Thread Starter

Guess I should introduce myself:

Actually not my first boat. 50 years ago I learned to sail on the Elizabeth River in a little B'Whaler 'Squall'. We ran wild up and downriver, and of course back then you could sail right up to navy docks w/out getting shot :-o College-age I had access to 28 footer, then midlife crewed on a recreational racer while living in MS. More recently picked up a little Montgomery 15, mostly as a means to seduce my (relatively) new wife to. We've been doing a little gunkholing in the Monty (GREAT boats :-), mostly tributary rivers and local lakes, but of course it's easy to see the 'need' for something a little more livable. I'm fully aware of the dangers of two-foot-itis. But as I approach retirement, I'm drawn to my water 'roots', she appears to be 'game', and small, (theoretically) trailerable but solid boats appeal. The question is 'which one'. Very easy to go from Flicka to 25 to a Dana (!).

And thus, I've arrived at this forum.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-27-2017
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
Guess I should introduce myself:

Actually not my first boat. 50 years ago I learned to sail on the Elizabeth River in a little B'Whaler 'Squall'. We ran wild up and downriver, and of course back then you could sail right up to navy docks w/out getting shot :-o College-age I had access to 28 footer, then midlife crewed on a recreational racer while living in MS. More recently picked up a little Montgomery 15, mostly as a means to seduce my (relatively) new wife to. We've been doing a little gunkholing in the Monty (GREAT boats :-), mostly tributary rivers and local lakes, but of course it's easy to see the 'need' for something a little more livable. I'm fully aware of the dangers of two-foot-itis. But as I approach retirement, I'm drawn to my water 'roots', she appears to be 'game', and small, (theoretically) trailerable but solid boats appeal. The question is 'which one'. Very easy to go from Flicka to 25 to a Dana (!).

And thus, I've arrived at this forum.
Well the Flicka and Diana are in theory trailerable, they are not ramp launchable and will take more than a standard pickup to pull it any distance. Montgomery makes a 23 too, you might look at that as it has a more reasonable sail/displacement of 17 verses the Flicka at 12. But I don't think there are many of the 23s around.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #9 of 17 Old 07-27-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

There's also Sage Marine: Sage Marine - Home of the Sage Pocket Cruisers

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #10 of 17 Old 07-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
Very easy to go from Flicka to 25 to a Dana (!).
Only if you have a ton of extra money to buy a ridiculously overpriced Dana.
Lazerbrains likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in