greasing rudder gudgeons - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-30-2018 Thread Starter

greasing rudder gudgeons

Hi all - as I am getting the boat ready for the season, I noticed a slight squeak as I turn the rudder to starboard - it only happens toward the end of the range. I typically go through the entire pedestal greasing/oiling the various parts, so I think the sound is coming from the rudder and it's probably time to grease the gudgeons. Any recommendation on how to best do that? The lower gudgeon has a ring between the skeg and the rudder, so it's not obvious to me how one could get any grease in there. Thanks - Joost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-30-2018

Re: greasing rudder gudgeons

The gudgeon should have a hole in the bottom. Put some waterproof grease in a large syringe (~60ml or so) with a short piece of tubing on the end (if necessary) and force the grease up into that hole and into the rudder shaft interior so that the grease falls back on to the gudgeon inner surface (hopefully no former owner has mistakenly sealed up the bottom of the rudder shaft). Also, hopefully the ambient temp is high enough so the grease is not too viscous so the grease can work its way into the joint between the rudder shaft and the gudgeon. Work the rudder back and forth to get the grease spread along the mating surfaces inside.

Dave

Last edited by DaveMancini; 04-30-2018 at 12:53 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-30-2018 Thread Starter

Re: greasing rudder gudgeons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
The gudgeon should have a hole in the bottom. Put some waterproof grease in a large syringe (~60ml or so) with a short piece of tubing on the end (if necessary) and force the grease up into that hole and into the rudder shaft interior so that the grease falls back on to the gudgeon inner surface (hopefully no former owner has mistakenly sealed up the bottom of the rudder shaft). Also, hopefully the ambient temp is high enough so the grease is not too viscous so the grease can work its way into the joint between the rudder shaft and the gudgeon. Work the rudder back and forth to get the grease spread along the mating surfaces inside.

Dave
Thanks, Dave, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Cheers,
Joost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in