SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Zincs for PSC31

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ShantiPSC31 
#1 ·
Needing to order zincs. What zincs are used on PSC 31?

#2 ·
Hey Theislandlady: I had a similar question about our PS 34. As near as I can tell there are only two external zincs: a set that fits on the back of the prop shaft around the nut holding on the prop, and one on the starboard side of the bottom gudgeon of the rudder. I checked with Yanmar mechanic and there are no engine zincs on the fresh water cooled 3HM35F.

Our boat was on the hard so there was no rush purchasing the zincs. Defender had them in stock.

Hope that this helps with your PS 31.

regards charlie

#3 · (Edited)
Hi there. I am pretty sure the zincs are the same for both the 31 and 34:

• Prop anode (zinc) complete with nut: Electroguard PN-2006-R (3/4” - 10 RH nut)
• Prop anode (zinc) only: propeller nut anode Camp “C” (1” shaft)
• Rudder gudgeon anode: Sea Shield TD-S: 3/4" x 1-5/8" x 3-5/8", screw hole is from 1 3/8" to 1 3/4"

I believe there are renditions of these made by other manufacturers, but these are the ones I have used. I have gotten them at through a number of vendors, including West Marine and Defender.

Dave

#6 ·
I've a PSC31 circa 1990 and am going to dive on the boat to replace the zincs but have a couple of questions.

When I did the initial dive to check things out I noticed that the prop nut was only hand tight when I tried to turn while holding the prop in place. The cotter pin was in place and preventing the prop nut from loosening (further) but the nut itself was definitely not tightened down. I've since researched /read that it can be difficult to align/insert the retaining cotter pin into the anode attachment bracket with the nut torqued down- so sometimes people will leave the prop nut slightly loose to facilitate assembly. Of course now I'm wondering if this is what the guy did when he installed the prop zinc, and more importantly, is this an issue? The dive company I've used has been around forever so I'd think they know their stuff however a "little bit of knowledge" can be a worrying thing so here I am.

I will admit I don't have the prop-er (pun?) skill set to make an informed decision on this (or anything else if you listen to my wife) so I am hanging my head in shame and reaching out to much more smarter/experienced minds.

So

Q1. Does anyone have the gudgeon anode bolt specifications? I'd like to buy a few spares prior to taking the next plunge. I of course did not check these when I was performing my exceptionally "thorough" inspection dive...sigh...

Q2: This is the big one here...Does the prop nut need to be tightened / torqued more than it's current "hand tight" state"? Or am I over thinking / worrying this? If I do need to tighten this critter up I'll need to buy the usual seven long wrenches prior to diving (1 to use, 5 to lose, and a spare) to attempt the task.

Thanks in advance to everyone's help and input!

#7 ·
've a PSC31 circa 1990 and am going to dive on the boat to replace the zincs but have a couple of questions.

When I did the initial dive to check things out I noticed that the prop nut was only hand tight when I tried to turn while holding the prop in place. The cotter pin was in place and preventing the prop nut from loosening (further) but the nut itself was definitely not tightened down. I've since researched /read that it can be difficult to align/insert the retaining cotter pin into the anode attachment bracket with the nut torqued down- so sometimes people will leave the prop nut slightly loose to facilitate assembly. Of course now I'm wondering if this is what the guy did when he installed the prop zinc, and more importantly, is this an issue? The dive company I've used has been around forever so I'd think they know their stuff however a "little bit of knowledge" can be a worrying thing so here I am.

I will admit I don't have the prop-er (pun?) skill set to make an informed decision on this (or anything else if you listen to my wife) so I am hanging my head in shame and reaching out to much more smarter/experienced minds.

So

Q1. Does anyone have the gudgeon anode bolt specifications? I'd like to buy a few spares prior to taking the next plunge. I of course did not check these when I was performing my exceptionally "thorough" inspection dive...sigh...

Q2: This is the big one here...Does the prop nut need to be tightened / torqued more than it's current "hand tight" state"? Or am I over thinking / worrying this? If I do need to tighten this critter up I'll need to buy the usual seven long wrenches prior to diving (1 to use, 5 to lose, and a spare) to attempt the task.

Thanks in advance to everyone's help and input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.