Selden 204s Furlex - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2018 Thread Starter
deisher6

Selden 204s Furlex

We are considering a Selden 204s Furlex for the jib on our PS34. It appears to be a reasonably priced rugged system.

Are there any Pro or Con experiences with this product???

Thank you in advance for any comments.

regards charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-07-2018 Thread Starter
deisher6

Re: Selden 204s Furlex

Well OK then! Ordered one, will post how it works out.
regards charlie
post #3 of 6 Old 12-04-2018 Thread Starter
deisher6

Have a couple of weeks experience with the Seldon furler.

Cost about $2600. Includes a moderately high cut 250 sqft jib that sheets well to the middle set of tracks. Also included a new forestay and installation. I could have probably installed it but nearing 70 I probably will not be installing any more furlers. So it was worth the price of a rigger to me.

It works well. Easily furled the jib in 25 knot gusts. Reefing line could be larger for ease of handling, but I don't think that the furling drum can handle a larger diameter of line. Looking into splicing a larger line on the part that extends from the drum to the cockpit. Seems to be robust enough. No complaints.

I did not expect roller furling to be very effective in reefing. So far it seems to raise the enter of effort of the sail not reducing the heeling effect of the depowered jib. From experience so far, I think that just furling the main, then taking in the jib are the first two choices in reducing sail. A furled main and staysail is all that I have to reduce sail so far!

Did make a bonehead mistake in securing the spinnaker halyard on the bow pulpit. The halyard got caught in the jib at the peak when furling. Fortunately found the problem prior to running the reefing line to the main winch.

Smooth Sailing
regards charlie

post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2018
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Have a couple of weeks experience with the Seldon furler.

Cost about $2600. Includes a moderately high cut 250 sqft jib that sheets well to the middle set of tracks. Also included a new forestay and installation. I could have probably installed it but nearing 70 I probably will not be installing any more furlers. So it was worth the price of a rigger to me.

It works well. Easily furled the jib in 25 knot gusts. Reefing line could be larger for ease of handling, but I don't think that the furling drum can handle a larger diameter of line. Looking into splicing a larger line on the part that extends from the drum to the cockpit. Seems to be robust enough. No complaints.

I did not expect roller furling to be very effective in reefing. So far it seems to raise the enter of effort of the sail not reducing the heeling effect of the depowered jib. From experience so far, I think that just furling the main, then taking in the jib are the first two choices in reducing sail. A furled main and staysail is all that I have to reduce sail so far!

Did make a bonehead mistake in securing the spinnaker halyard on the bow pulpit. The halyard got caught in the jib at the peak when furling. Fortunately found the problem prior to running the reefing line to the main winch.

Smooth Sailing
regards charlie
You should never need to put a jib furler line on a winch - if you want to, better to investigate the situation to find the actual problem. Using a winch, you are likely to break some gear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2018 Thread Starter
deisher6

Hey Sailin'fool:
The main winch, a Lewmar 40 something, was I assure you, just a passing thought as the sail was flogging, sheets were knotting, stopper knots pulled through turning blocks, and there was no one to yell at.

Checked it out found the problem and lived to sail another day. Did take a couple of shots from lines knots though. Good reason to use knots instead of shackles.

regards charlie
post #6 of 6 Old 12-06-2018

I like your style, Charlie.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in