PSC 34 upcoming haul out - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 08-17-2018
deisher6

Re: PSC 34 upcoming haul out

Hey Bill & Bill:
Thanks again for the responses.

The PO had a mizzen added as well as switching from wheel to tiller. The work was done by PS. The upper rudder bearing is on top of the stern seat. There is a glassed in tube running from the cockpit deck to the seat and the upper bearing. That seat has been nicely glassed into the adjacent seats, making it a bit harder to make good use of the inspection ports. I will check the bottom side of the cockpit deck prior to installing the larger inspection ports. Possibly installing just one.

BTW the step for the mizzen is also artfully glassed in just forward of the propane locker, on the cockpit coaming.

What a great set of stuffing box tools. Before I replaced it the stuffing box on our ComPac 27 had just knurled nuts. I used standard pipe wrenches.

Our fill fittings are the same as the winches fittings so we use winch handles open them.

Again: Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice.

regards charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 08-17-2018

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Our fill fittings are the same as the winches fittings so we use winch handles open them.
My deck fills are also opened with a winch handle. The third wrench, the funny looking crow's foot wrench, fits the nut on the threaded part of the deck fill fitting underneath the boat's deck. It came in handy when removing and re-caulking the rear tank fill. The bottom side of it is in a bear of a place behind the electrical panel. A socket wrench ratchet, an extension and this wrench will turn the nut.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (08-18-2018)
post #13 of 15 Old 08-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey Bill & Bill:
Thanks again for the responses.

The PO had a mizzen added as well as switching from wheel to tiller. The work was done by PS. The upper rudder bearing is on top of the stern seat. There is a glassed in tube running from the cockpit deck to the seat and the upper bearing. That seat has been nicely glassed into the adjacent seats, making it a bit harder to make good use of the inspection ports. I will check the bottom side of the cockpit deck prior to installing the larger inspection ports. Possibly installing just one.

BTW the step for the mizzen is also artfully glassed in just forward of the propane locker, on the cockpit coaming.

What a great set of stuffing box tools. Before I replaced it the stuffing box on our ComPac 27 had just knurled nuts. I used standard pipe wrenches.

Again: Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice.

regards charlie
That sounds like an interesting modification. I like the idea of a mizzen. How does she handle with the extra sail? They must have split the the back stay for the main? I'd like to see some photos if you have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
My deck fills are also opened with a winch handle. The third wrench, the funny looking crow's foot wrench, fits the nut on the threaded part of the deck fill fitting underneath the boat's deck. It came in handy when removing and re-caulking the rear tank fill. The bottom side of it is in a bear of a place behind the electrical panel. A socket wrench ratchet, an extension and this wrench will turn the nut.

Bill
You're so right, that is one nasty spot to put a fitting. I've wondered why they located it so close to main electric panel. My fitting too had a leak that I had to rebed.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
The Following User Says Thank You to elliowb For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (08-18-2018)

post #14 of 15 Old 08-18-2018

Don casey.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-18-2018
deisher6

I will get some photo's of the rig with the mizzen.

I do not have much experience with it yet. PS did not change the sail plan, it is a cutter rig, when they added the mizzen. It is a fairly small sail at 50 sqft. The back stay is split. When the sail is in use the monitor self steering vane will not work. So I have removed the monitor system until I decide what to do with the mizzen. It serves as a mount for the radar (not working presently) and a wind generator (which I am not sure is working). I am still sorting stuff out while trying to get some sailing in. I am trying to concentrate on the, important to sailing, things first.

So far the mizzen looks interesting set. It also keeps the boat from sailing around the anchor when set at anchor. When the anemometer, again not sure if it is calibrated, hit 40+knots at anchorage it really made a racket slatting.

And

Yes, the deck fill fittings do need re-bedding. Thanks for some insight on how to go about that......after I get the boat back on the water! (I would like to borrow that wrench.)

Thanks again for the experience and knowledge passed on. It is both very nice and gratifying to get experienced opinions and helpful hints from sailors.

regards charlie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in