hauling a tender onboard w/o davits? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-12-2018 Thread Starter

hauling a tender onboard w/o davits?

Just to see if I could do it by myself, I attempted to haul my 9' inflatable dinghy out of the water on to the foredeck of my PS 34 using the staysail halyard. I was able to get it upright in the water, but the strain on the staysail halyard swivel seemed too much so I couldn't get the dinghy completely out of the water. I tried to manhandle it out of the water, but it was just too heavy and awkward for me to do it by myself. I figured there must be a better way.

Anyone out there have a method that works (short of installing davits or other permanent block & tackle)? I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3627.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-12-2018

Re: hauling a tender onboard w/o davits?

What does it weigh?
A 4:1 hung off a halyard is possible...and prob easier to control...youre right at it
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (08-12-2018)
post #3 of 23 Old 08-12-2018
Master Mariner

We use a bridle that keeps the dink nearly parallel to the water and bring it and the 15 hp motor aboard at once. We do not use a winch, but instead take the halyard to the windlass drum. Quick, easy and safe.
I have done it alone, but it requires several steps. First, from the water to just above the rub rail, where the dink will get hung up and tilt inboard. I secure the halyard, push the dink away from the hull and she pops over the rub rail. Next step is up the stanchions until it is nearly over them and I pull it forward over the stanchions and allow her to come inboard. Then I lower it until most of the weight is on the deck, but the halyard has just enough weight so I can easily reposition the dink where I want it, and then I drop it fully on deck.
We also use the windlass instead of a winch for going aloft. It is so much safer and faster. Just a bit over a minute from deck to masthead. No getting tired and possibly losing grip on the halyard, and no excuse not to go aloft when needed, because it is so labor intensive.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 08-12-2018 at 06:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (08-12-2018)

post #4 of 23 Old 08-12-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
What does it weigh?
A 4:1 hung off a halyard is possible...and prob easier to control...youre right at it
I believe it weighs around 90 lbs/ 40.8 kg.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-12-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
What does it weigh?
I just found a video on YouTube where someone uses a 4:1 and a bridle suspended from their boom. It looks good for getting the dinghy out of the water while anchored. Doesn't look like it could be brought aboard that way though. I also found a video of someone using their boom and mainsheet to lift a heavy outboard motor out of a dinghy alongside.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-12-2018 Thread Starter

I wonder if I could use a spinnaker pole as a makeshift boom and suspend the 4:1 from the end of it...
PhilCarlson likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-12-2018

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Your picture and description look and sound just like what my wife and I do to bring our Achilles LSI 290 aboard and place it on the foredeck. I crank the winch. She guides the dinghy. We lift the dinghy with the staysail halyard attached to the bow (center) towing eye. We have no halyard swivel; the halyard runs out of the mast over a sheave mounted in the face of he mast. I crank with a 10" handle in the two speed non-self-tailing winch that is on the port side of the mast while doing the tailing myself. I crank until the stern tubes clear the lifeline, then my wife coaxes the dingy over to the mast. As I lower the dinghy, we keep the transom against the mast, and the bow falls down just inside the staysail stay. We land the dinghy upside down to carry it inflated on the foredeck and right side up to roll it up and store it on the cabin top. To launch the dinghy, we just slip it over the lifelines after putting a piece of notched aluminum pipe over a stanchion to pad its otherwise pointy top.

Last year we took two outboards to the Bahamas - a 3.5 hp, 2 cycle Tohatsu and a 8 hp, 2 cycle Tohatsu - both on the stern pulpit. The 3.5 weighs 27 lb, and I just pick it up, carry it to the boarding ladder, step into the dinghy, and drop it on the transom. The 8 hp weighs 55 lb. We stick a piece of aluminum pipe into the end of our hollow boom extending the boom over the 8 hp motor while supporting the end of the pipe with the main halyard. My wife stands in the cockpit and uses a 3:1 tackle to rise the motor off its mount and lower it onto the dinghy transom while I sit in the dinghy and guide the motor onto the dinghy transom. Putting the motors back aboard is just the reverse. We used the 3.5 hp motor far more than the 8. It is just so much easier to deal with, but it will not plane the dinghy.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
post #8 of 23 Old 08-12-2018

We use the spinnaker halyard to lift the dinghy out of the water, pretty much the same way Bill just described. It's a pretty straightforward process. For the engine, we use a block and tackle attached to a small crane made of steel pipe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #9 of 23 Old 08-13-2018
Not Finished Yet

On our PS34 we did it using the staysail halyard pretty much just like Bill, except we used a bridle and lifted it with the dinghy horizontal. When the tubes cleared the lifeline we maneuvered it into place and then fliped it upside down by hand. I never worried about the load on the halyard swivel, but it was hard work on the winch. If I keep the boat I would have installed a winch on the mast and used that for pulling the dinghy out of the water. I think the reduced friction would have really helped.

post #10 of 23 Old 08-13-2018

We hauled our 110 lb dinghy with our main halyard, just like the OP showed in the first post, but we pulled it high enough to pull the bow into the foredeck area before easing the halyard and lowering the dinghy to the foredeck.

The 2-stroke, 4 hp OB was stowed on the stern pulpit first, of course, but it only weighed 29 pounds and was a one person lift. Hauling the dinghy can be done single-handed, but is easier with two people.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in