long distance cruising in a PS 34? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 09-02-2018

Re: long distance cruising in a PS 34?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
But have they really?
Things are the same financially now as then, you sail what you can afford.

I think a guy rich enough could solo a well founded 60 footer nowadays. Plenty of guys on here soloing 40 footers and up. I don't know even if cost were no object would a solo sailor choose a larger boat back then?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 09-03-2018

Quote:
The size of the boat, however, directly affects the comfort of those aboard. Some of us prefer the home-like comforts of a larger boat and others are perfectly happy to camp out, living in a cramped, tiny space.
The size of the boat does directly effect the cost of cruising and maintaining. However, with all due respect to Capta, there is no such direct relation to comfort, at least when it comes to the motion of the vessel (to be fair, it sounds like Capta was talking more about other creature comforts like hot showers, less cramped quarters, etc...). A 40 foot Beneteau is probably going to be a good deal less comfortable than a Crealock 34.

Out of curiosity, Kbbarton, don't you own a Crealock 34?

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #13 of 26 Old 09-03-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

A Pacific Seacraft 34 is a fine ocean going boat. Some people prefer a larger boat, some a smaller. Some prefer the motion of a traditional vessel, some like the more modern designs. I believe that there is no such thing as comfortable ride in a small boat in a storm. Like everything else, it's a trade-off.

What is of more concern is the basic seaworthiness, the condition of the boat, and the proficiency of the crew. Seaworthyness has been debated at length on this and other forums. Different issues come to play, but the basic idea is that many boats are seaworthy, but some are obviously designed for non ocean use. That dosen't take into account, which ocean. Are we talking trans Pacific, or Southern Ocean? Antarctica or the Carribean. All of that matters. Leaving that debate for a while, look at the condition of the boat.

When was the standing rigging replaced? How are the ... well the list goes on, as you can fill in for yourself. One area specific to the PS 34 is the condition of the chainplates. On every boat preparing for ocean use, the skipper is responsible for a huge amount of inspection and preparation. The longer the voyage, the more detailed the preparation.

The crew is crucial. People point to Sloucum as an inspiration. I read a recent biography, sorry, I've forgotten the author, that recounted the depth of experience that he had on sailing vessels. How you sail the boat, how you react to situations (and emergencies) and how you know what needs to be done - and how to do it- make a huge difference in the safety and enjoyment of your passages.

A well found PS 34, with a good crew. Hell yes, it would make a fine passage maker. So would a lot of other boats. There is one thing that I've neglected to discuss: Fate.

Fate, luck, God's will ... whatever you call it. My friend calls it the Goddess of Chance. Sometimes things just work out. Sometimes they don't. Since a well found boat with a good crew are the best we can do, we pay our money and take our chances. Luck favors the prepaired mind is an old saying, true in life, and true in sailing.
RegisteredUser and ChristinaM like this.

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 09-03-2018 at 01:44 PM.

post #14 of 26 Old 09-03-2018

I love it when folks talk about outrunning a storm. Keep mind that most storms move a whole lot faster than any production sailboat I know of. And, for those that sincerely believe they can outrun a storm, maybe you should read Lin and Larry Pardey's Storm Tactics Handbook. https://www.landfallnavigation.com/s...book-2501.html

Almost forgot, one of my You Tube heroes is a Brit sailing White Shadow, a 33-foot steel sloop that has crossed the Atlantic, passed through the Panama Canal and is now sailing in the Pacific. He took a short break to visit his home in England, and will soon be returning to Panama to resume his voyage. He's about 10 years younger than myself, I believe, around 66 years of age.

Good Luck from an old single handed sailor,

Gary
ChristinaM likes this.

Last edited by travlin-easy; 09-03-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #15 of 26 Old 09-03-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
The size of the boat does directly effect the cost of cruising and maintaining. However, with all due respect to Capta, there is no such direct relation to comfort, at least when it comes to the motion of the vessel (to
You are trying to tell folks that there would be no difference in the comfort and motion aboard between a PSC 34 and an Amel Super Maramu in a gale beating to weather, or even running in the Trade Winds? You want us to believe that in trough a short mast like the PSC 34 will still hold the wind just like the bigger boat, in the same heavy weather conditions?
Basically, I was talking about creature comforts, not the motion of the boat and her ability to move through the seas, but that was because that is a given, not needing much discussion.
You are welcome to your opinion, but I'd really like to understand how you came to that conclusion.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 26 Old 09-03-2018

Quote:
You are trying to tell folks that there would be no difference in the comfort and motion aboard between a PSC 34 and an Amel Super Maramu in a gale beating to weather, or even running in the Trade Winds? You want us to believe that in trough a short mast like the PSC 34 will still hold the wind just like the bigger boat, in the same heavy weather conditions?
Basically, I was talking about creature comforts, not the motion of the boat and her ability to move through the seas, but that was because that is a given, not needing much discussion.
You are welcome to your opinion, but I'd really like to understand how you came to that conclusion.
I'm not sure why you choose to ignore my example and then compare a 34 footer to a 55 footer. Since both are designed for blue water, of course size is going to make the Amel more comfortable. My point is that not all boats are designed for blue water. So, if you simply compare based solely on size, it is not a direct relation between size and sea comfort.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #17 of 26 Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
The size of the boat does directly effect the cost of cruising and maintaining. However, with all due respect to Capta, there is no such direct relation to comfort, at least when it comes to the motion of the vessel (to be fair, it sounds like Capta was talking more about other creature comforts like hot showers, less cramped quarters, etc...). A 40 foot Beneteau is probably going to be a good deal less comfortable than a Crealock 34.

Out of curiosity, Kbbarton, don't you own a Crealock 34?
I do indeed. I've been watching various cruising-related YouTube channels and they mostly involve bigger boats (funny that Capta mentioned a Amel Super Marimu - that boat features prominently in one them, though it seems to have at least four people on board most of the time). I was just thinking that the Crealock 34, for a dedicated blue-water cruiser, has a relatively tiny fuel tank and two relatively small water tanks which I would think would limit the boat's endurance. Of course, I recognize that on a passage one would actively conserving fuel, power, and stores.

Maybe I was just musing my way to a PS 40.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-04-2018

75 gallons of water and 38 gallons of fuel is not small. Smaller boat, smaller diesel, lower fuel fuel consumption. The engine stated in Sailboat Data is 38hp which is way overpowered to my thinking. Have a 27hp Yanmar in my same size boat and it's more than adequate. Hopefully lower rpm will equate to lower fuel consumption even with too big engine.

We had identical water capacity in two tanks. Caught water from the awning and never had to switch to 2nd between rainfalls filling the tanks back up in French Polynesia. Yes you can be profligate with water but disconnecting the pressure water pump and only using foot pumps is an instant no pain conservation technique. If you can't get by on the fuel and water capacity of a PSC 34 you really should consider a floating condo permanently attached to a dock with water and electric.
ChristinaM and elliowb like this.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbarton View Post
I do indeed. I've been watching various cruising-related YouTube channels and they mostly involve bigger boats (funny that Capta mentioned a Amel Super Marimu - that boat features prominently in one them, though it seems to have at least four people on board most of the time). I was just thinking that the Crealock 34, for a dedicated blue-water cruiser, has a relatively tiny fuel tank and two relatively small water tanks which I would think would limit the boat's endurance. Of course, I recognize that on a passage one would actively conserving fuel, power, and stores.

Maybe I was just musing my way to a PS 40.
Those PS 40s are very nice. However, for me, I made a conscious decision to go with the 34. I'm in my early 60s, don't have any kids, and my wife is not into sailing, very little other family (and they're not sailors either). So, I'm either single-handing or I have to depend on finding crew. With the PSC34 I can easily handle the sails, the boom, do all the repairs and upgrades, on my own (of course, when we lived out in the southwest, I use to go backpacking in the wilderness either just with my GSDs or with one or two other friends, so I like smaller groups during my ventures).

As for fuel and water, I'm either going to carry extra on deck/in the cabin, or in the case of water, maybe install a water maker behind one of the salon berths.

There are a number of YouTube videos that feature smaller (under 40) sailboats of varying capabilities. For example Sailing Vessel Prism. I guess that there is a bias toward the bigger boats because their videos can include more characters (especially of the female persuasion).

Best of luck with your PSC34. I'm planning my first multi-week trip around the Great Lakes for next summer, really looking forward to the adventure.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #20 of 26 Old 09-05-2018
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
The theory is the bigger a boat the better it can handle heavy weather. Which would be more comfortable in a storm, a 45 footer racer/cruiser or a full keeled double ender like the PSC34?
The PSC34 does not have a full keel. It has a fin keel.

I know of quite a few that have recently sailed from North America to the South Pacific (or Hawaii).

Swan, as mentioned above was sailed to the South Pacific, sold, and then sailed across the Pacific again by the new owner. Several have done the single-handed Transpac.

Several PSC37's have also crossed the Pacific recently (PSC34 and 37 are extremely similar). One example is s/v Luckness. Luckness's blog gives you a good idea of what it is like. s/v Luckness.

Also Cool Change, a PSC31 recently sailed to the South Pacific.
jephotog, ChristinaM and elliowb like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in