PS34 Yawl - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TomMaine

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter
deisher6

PS34 Yawl

Our PS 34 was made into a yawl by the PO. Said that I would blog on the rigging in a much earlier post, so here is the scoop.

The conversion was very well done by Pacific Seacraft. The hard top dodger and the tiller were added at
the same time as the mizzen. I have only sailed one other PS 34, but I think that the step for the mizzen was new glass and possibly the stern cockpit locker was reinforced and glassed into place.

Four chainplates were added. The back stay is split and shares the aft two chainplates with the mizzen. The mizzen is also attached to two other chainplates, the starboard one located between the shore power outlet and the turning block. These chain plates are all very well reinforced as to be expected in a PS.

continued.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-02-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter
deisher6

Re: PS34 Yawl

PS 34 Yawl continued.
The mizzen step is reinforced with a metal post extending to the bottom of the boat in the propane locker.
(I cannot seem to get more pictures to post!)

According to Thumper when the mizzen was added the original cutter sailplan was not altered. The forward stays for the mizzen just clear the end of the boom. The mizzen area is 50 sqft.

Anyhow: I have sailed with the mizzen a couple of times and it does not seem to add much to the sail plan. I have managed to get the mizzen boom tangled up on several times when docking. The mast serves as a great location for both the wind charger and radar antenna. The boom would interfere with the Monitor Windvane if it were mounted.

I am still learning the boat. I will probably leave the boom off. I would like to remount the wind vane the next time I haul the boat. I may also remove the mizzen replace the split back stay to the origional configuration.

I would appreciate any comments.

regards charlie
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2018

Have had a soft spot for Yawls but hard to justify on a boat like yours. Mizzen does give you some maneuvering advantages under sail, might stop yawing at anchor, and a mizzen staysail would give light air advantage over limited sailing points but it's negatives outweight those benefits. Nice to see someone actually had some brains and put a tiller on a boat that small. Will work way better with the Monitor attached to the tiller. Shouldn't need to haul the boat to put the Monitor back on. Have installed two Windpilot Pacific and an Aries on boats in the water. Back the boat into the slip and work sitting down from the dock.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2018

Haha , what roverhi said . Don't get rid of the tiller . I say leave the Mizzen as is just for the wow factor . If you are planning long distance cruising then you will have to do something . A little bit OT here , have you ever checked out the Pelagic auto helm ? It will hook up to a Monitor and then will use little juice , possibly on a sunny day a panel could keep up . If you hooked it up to the Monitor then you would not have to use the Monitors sail .
A picture of the set up is here .
https://pelagicautopilot.com/collect...course-holding

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 11-16-2018 at 10:11 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2018

It looks right on the boat, they did a nice install. You may as well try it. Sailing a yawl may be acquired taste but I enjoy it.

Flying the mizzen staysail is very easy off the wind. You can get a great boost at times but it is a mysterious sail.

The mizzens effect is mostly subtle while sailing but you can often adjust the helm with mizzen trim. We sail mizzen and headsail often in heavy winds. Off the wind on a reach in it's own air, it can be effective and with everything at hand, it's easy to work.

Leaving the mizzen sheeted tight helps keep the boat head to wind to drop the main (I do that single handing often).

One of the best uses for me is heaving to. Bring the boat into the wind, furl the headsail and let the wheel (or tiller) go. The boat will stop, fall off 50 degrees or so and settle into a dead drift in it's own slick, moving DDW at less than .5 knot.

One other thing, you may find your yawl sits at anchor while other boats sail around. I think the extra bit of windage aft has something to do with that.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2018 Thread Starter
deisher6

Hey Tom: This method of heaving to sounds worth putting the boom back on. Do you leave the main up and sheeted in?

Very interesting adaptation of the Monitor vane for auto steering, BTW I lose way to much hardware and tools when working over the water let alone over the deck.

Thanks all of you for your comments.

regards charlie
post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey Tom: This method of heaving to sounds worth putting the boom back on. Do you leave the main up and sheeted in?
regards charlie
No, Charlie. I often use the mizzen to help douse the main. If alone with no one to steer the boat into the wind under power, I'll sheet the mizzen tight and bring the bow into the wind. The mizzen often helps hold the bow into the wind, just long enough to drop the main into the lazy jacks.

Then as I tie the main to the boom, the boat will heave to on the mizzen alone. I actually rides closer to 60-70 degrees to the wind in light to moderate conditions.

There is a lot of misinformation concerning yawls. About half is disparaging, the other half is the magic mizzen group. I thinks it's a practical sail on the right design for the right sailor.

I've never tried to lie on mizzen alone - hove to - in very strong winds.

I've been pretty comfortable hove to with just the deeply reefed main sail alone, in up to 40 knots at sea, long enough to sleep a few hours.

From a practical standpoint, I think the mizzen alone is too little sail area in those winds, to counteract windage forward, on a yawl like mine.

"I had a yawl once and left the mizzen rig off one year. The boat sailed faster! hahahahaha,...."

If you keep your yawl rig, you'll hear all the stupid yawl jokes as well as a few old salts that can sail their yawl backwards, through MacDonalds.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in