SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   PS 34 cockpit seat back storage boxes (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/327186-ps-34-cockpit-seat-back-storage-boxes.html)

[email protected] 12-04-2018 09:45 AM

PS 34 cockpit seat back storage boxes

Is there any experience in accessing the cockpit seat back storage boxes? The starboard box has A mic terminal, a windlass remote terminal and a lighting switch. I need to replace the light switch. At first glance it appears that the boxes screw onto the back of the cockpit seat.

Can it be that easy to remove them to replace the switch? Or do I have to go in from the pilot berth ceiling panels?

Thanks for any help.

regards charlie

Damon Gannon 12-04-2018 10:11 AM

Re: PS 34 cockpit seat back storage boxes

The cockpit coaming boxes come out pretty easily, although there should be some adhesive on the flange in addition to the screws. Given all the wiring you have in your box, it may be easier to leave the box in place and access it from the back side via the quarter berth. In our '82 PSC 37, it just involves removing a few screws and taking down one of the overhead panels in the quarter berth.

[email protected] 12-04-2018 11:02 AM

Thanks Damon: I am going in! ....through the pilot berth.
regards charlie

GREAT HELP! Six screws and the switch was right there. Since I did not remove the storage box and it is not leaking, I will not have to reseal it.

Thanks again.

regards charlie

elliowb 12-09-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2051567678)
Thanks Damon: I am going in! ....through the pilot berth.
regards charlie

GREAT HELP! Six screws and the switch was right there. Since I did not remove the storage box and it is not leaking, I will not have to reseal it.

Thanks again.

regards charlie

Charlie,

I'm glad that you accessed through the quarter berth. Unlike Damon, I originally tried to remove the storage box and on my PSC 34, that thing was glued in pretty solidly. Like you said, if it isn't leaking, try to avoid disturbing it.

[email protected] 12-09-2018 01:09 PM

Hey Bill: I am so glad that I asked and even more so that Dameon responded. It made one of those jobs that I planned for an hour or so take about 20 minutes.

This a great blog or what!

regards charlie

Damon Gannon 12-11-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliowb (Post 2051568584)
Charlie,

I'm glad that you accessed through the quarter berth. Unlike Damon, I originally tried to remove the storage box and on my PSC 34, that thing was glued in pretty solidly. Like you said, if it isn't leaking, try to avoid disturbing it.

Bill: We, too, learned this lesson the hard way. But when we re-sealed them, we used butyl tape rather than an adhesive. So if we do have to take them out again, they will come out much easier.

-Damon