3” exhaust on 37’ PSC - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-17-2018 Thread Starter

3” exhaust on 37’ PSC

I’m repowering my 1991 37’ PSC. Going from 2” to 3” exhaust. Has anyone out there already been down this road that has a good solution? I’m familiar with the Vetus (and other’s) schematics as to how to properly install a wet exhaust system. The challenge is to how to optimally shoe horn such a large system into the small area behind the new Yanmar 4JH5E. Thanks in advance
Old Crow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-17-2018
Barquito

Re: 3” exhaust on 37’ PSC

Welcome to SailNet! I'm sure someone will come along with some good ideas. I don't know enough to give any advice. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go to a larger exhaust?

Valiant 32
post #3 of 9 Old 12-17-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Welcome to SailNet! I'm sure someone will come along with some good ideas. I don't know enough to give any advice. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go to a larger exhaust?
Or why a 54HP +/- motor on a 37 footer?

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-17-2018

Besides the engine being a bit big for the boat, there is no reason to go that large on the exhaust piping. the back pressure from the exhaust is a result of the height of the water lift muffler to the exhaust outlet of the boat, the inches of water that the exhaust has to lift. going to a bigger pipe is not going to lower the back pressure at all. The larger the exhaust size the more water that will be stored in the exhaust and the more water that could flow back to the engine when shut down or when the boat is heeled over. a bit counter intuitive but the smaller the exhaust line is for a given size engine the better the water cooled exhaust works.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 9 Old 12-17-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Besides the engine being a bit big for the boat, there is no reason to go that large on the exhaust piping. the back pressure from the exhaust is a result of the height of the water lift muffler to the exhaust outlet of the boat, the inches of water that the exhaust has to lift. going to a bigger pipe is not going to lower the back pressure at all. The larger the exhaust size the more water that will be stored in the exhaust and the more water that could flow back to the engine when shut down or when the boat is heeled over. a bit counter intuitive but the smaller the exhaust line is for a given size engine the better the water cooled exhaust works.
However if Yanmar specifies a 3" wet exhaust, and you don't have that, they can give you a very hard time on warranty.
flyrod likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-17-2018
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

I have a Yanmar 4JH4AE 54 HP on my Nonsuch 36. Welcome the extra power it has for head winds and currents here in the Northeast, it has a 3" exhaust installed with the engine in '09, no problems.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-2018 Thread Starter

My old tired Yanmar 4JH2E mixing elbow has a 2” outlet on exhaust elbow. The new Yanmar 4JH5E has a 3” outlet on exhaust mixing elbow. The weight and foot print of the two engines are almost identical. I’m no engineer, but those that are tell me that reducing/staying with my current 2” exhaust system will cause the engine to run hot at the higher power settings. There is an interesting thread on the “cruiser’s forum” that is worth a look.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-17-2018 Thread Starter

Would love to see some pics of S/V Caper Nonsuch’s exhaust system just aft of engine.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-18-2018
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

Old Crow, I don't have any pics of what you want. I can tell you Caper is a V-drive, so the hose exits the elbow does a 180, runs to a water lift muffler, then to a loop and out at the stern. Should I remember the next time I'm at the boat (on the hard for the winter) I will get a picture for you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in