PCS 34 Companionway Drop board guides - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wsmurdoch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-02-2019 Thread Starter
deisher6

PCS 34 Companionway Drop board guides

The teak drop board guides our boat were split when I purchased her. A few weeks ago I grabbed the sliding hatch cover to regain my balance and split the starboard guide past the top mounting screw.

To replace them I:
Unscrewed and pried off the old guides using putty knives. Even with care some of the fiberglass came up with the old guide. Noted that there were two sets of screw holes so this was at least the third repair/replacement of the guides.

The old guides were slightly less than 3/4 of an inch thick. I started with 1 inch rough teak. After finishing, the stock was just over 7/8 inch. Used the old parts as a rough guide for shape, the length and profile were the same but the new parts were 1/2 inch wider. The inset cut was just 1/16 wider than the table saw blade with a 3 bevel to match the back of the coach roof.

Using the same holes the new guides were bedded in fast set 4200. I used a heavy weather drop board, which is a shade thicker than the regular boards, to ensure spacing while the 4200 set.

After sanding the plugs off yesterday I noted that the sliding hatch did not meet both sides of the guides. I may shave the top of the starboard side down some so that the hatch meets them evenly. Or since the replacements are very robust I may just let be.

Cost of the teak was 35$, bedding compound, screws and bungs about 20$.

All in all I am satisfied with the fit and finish. It was an easy job to complete.

regards charlie
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_2154.jpg   SAM_2158.jpg  

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-02-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-03-2019

Re: PCS 34 Companionway Drop board guides

Looks great. Thanks for sharing. That's an interesting companionway hatch board. Seems like it might be difficult to find a convenient place to stow it.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #3 of 6 Old 03-03-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

We have two single piece hatch boards like that. One is teak trimmed clear plastic, and it goes between the companionway ladder and the the interior cover for the engine. I made it fit there by moving the handle on the cover up a little bit. A few felt cushions on the hatch board keep it from scratching the engine cover. The other is the vertical mosquito screen for the companionway. It, the horizontal screen for the companionway, and the screens for the two larger overhead hatches are all held to the overhead near the foot of the vee berth by a pair of bungee cords arranged in an "X".

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
elliowb likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-03-2019 Thread Starter
deisher6

Thanks for the idea of a storage place for the one piece board. It was part of the PO's gear left aboard when we purchased the boat. It has been stored in our shed at home. It is definitely a sturdy well fit piece of gear worthy of keeping around.

regards charlie
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
We have two single piece hatch boards like that. One is teak trimmed clear plastic, and it goes between the companionway ladder and the the interior cover for the engine. I made it fit there by moving the handle on the cover up a little bit. A few felt cushions on the hatch board keep it from scratching the engine cover. The other is the vertical mosquito screen for the companionway. It, the horizontal screen for the companionway, and the screens for the two larger overhead hatches are all held to the overhead near the foot of the vee berth by a pair of bungee cords arranged in an "X".

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Great ideas Bill!! Thanks for the suggestions.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #6 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago

My boat came with four not-very-tall hatch boards. I didn't want to handle four of them every time I was opening or closing the boat. I purchased four marine-grade hinges and now have two hatch boards that fold in the middle for easy storage.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in