custom fiberglass hardtop dodger - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

custom fiberglass hardtop dodger

Any Pacific Seacraft 34/37/40 owners out there that had the Pacific Seacraft factory custom-made fiberglass hardtop dodger with handrails and Stratoglass windshield installed? If yes, can you please post any photos you have? I'm interested in seeing the finished product before I decide to have them build me one. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
deisher6

Re: custom fiberglass hardtop dodger

Hey KBBARTON,I do not know if this is what your are referring to but I think that Pacific Seacraft installed this hard top on our PSC-34. These pictures are pretty busy, but if I can take some better flicks if you are interested. Other than catching my forehead from time to time I really appreciate the shelter and HANDHOLDS.
regards charlie
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1647.jpg   P1020259.jpg   SAM_1642.jpg  
post #3 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey KBBARTON,I do not know if this is what your are referring to but I think that Pacific Seacraft installed this hard top on our PSC-34. These pictures are pretty busy, but if I can take some better flicks if you are interested. Other than catching my forehead from time to time I really appreciate the shelter and HANDHOLDS.
regards charlie
Yeah, I think that is it... or something very similar. Thanks for posting those pics!

post #4 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
deisher6

You are welcome.
Do you need any more flicks or comments?
regards charlie
post #5 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Are you happy with the protection it provides? The glass enclosure only covering the companionway seems like that's a bit too narrow? It's the first time I see this - I had no idea Pacific Seacraft makes these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #6 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I really don't mean to be critical, but that hard set up looks odd. My first thought is that I'd want a dodger to dodge spray from the cockpit, not just the companionway. A soft dodger that went all the way to the side of the cabin would be my first attempt. If I was paying the bucks for a hard dodger, I'd try to design the same, with hard plexi windows that are clearer anyway. It looks like getting purchase on the cabin top winches might be the issue. If that's the case, a cut away, swing away or zip away is often engineered into the conflicting canvas or plexi. Some just accept a half swing on the winch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
deisher6

The enclosure / dodger is constructed from regular clear plastic, possibly isinglass. The starboard side does zip off to improve access to the winches. The starboard coach roof winches are used for the main sheet, when there is a bunch of wind, reefs, and the starboard staysail sheet. I have not found it a problem leaving the panel rigged.

There are also two aft panels, not shown, one of clear plastic and another with a screen/sun shade.

The boat was thoughtfully set up for single handling by the PO. I think that he added the mizzen, tiller, boom gallows and hard top. He also fabricated a braced seat that sits on top of the bottom drop board. The enclosure completely shelters the seat and one can see the radar and chart plotter displays at the nav station. The depth, speed, wind and auto pilot instruments are all also in easy view at the aft end of the cockpit. The tiller is just in reach from the seat.

I rode out the past hurricane at our slip with all the panels in. The arrangement provided good shelter and observation.

I suspect that the set up would be excellent for ocean crossing. (However) It is a little awkward for bumming around the Pamlico, especially the depth display being behind the helmsman and the chart plotter pretty much outta sight for my old eyes.

A couple of weeks ago I was sailing with an apparent wind gusting at times over 30 kts in the sound. Spray was coming over the hard top. I stayed fairly dry standing behind the companionway catching a bit of spray between the hard top and the boom gallows when I stood up to see ahead.

With this set up, the handholds are most beneficial, followed by spray protection and the boom gallows.

The PO also had twin hank on head stays complete with a nice inventory of head sails. They have been replaced with a mid size yankee on a roller furler. The mizzen boom was not compatible with the self steering wind vane and me maneuvering in our marina. Both are presently off the boat.

Again I purchased the boat this way, and it ain't too bad, especially since it is paid for. I have certainly enjoyed sailing her about 58 days in the 9 months that she has been in the water.

regards charlie

Last edited by [email protected]; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:19 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Something to love about all boats. Glad you enjoy her. Cheers.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in