Looking at Orion this weekend - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter

Looking at Orion this weekend

Hey guys,
The Orion below has been for sale a while and I am going to look at it this weekend. I printed the "boat survey 101" but I was wondering if there is anything particular to a PSC at this age that I should keep an eye out for. This is a big jump up from the Cal 25 I had so its new water and could use all the pointers I can get. Thanks!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...owse%20listing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Looking at Orion this weekend

The only thing that really jumped out at me was that they painted the engine pretty haphazardly. It doesn't take all that much to cover the alternator, hoses, and belts before you let loose with a spray can. Might be something to consider when wondering what else they covered up with a bit of flash.
elliowb likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2019

My friend had a PSC Orion , he sailed it down to Mexico by himself , funny story I'll tell it to you sometime . Anyhow he made it down fine and then he decided to hire a delivery guy to bring it back and that did not go so well but the stuff that went wrong was stuff that could go wrong on any boat that was not ready for off shore work . Well he wasn't that far off shore but coming back up the coast from Mexico can get pretty ruff , this was a while back one thing I remember was the head stay broke (the mast did not come down) .
The boat you are looking at looks very well maintained at least the bright work and canvas look good as well as the interior . The fact that the engine was over hauled at 750 hrs is odd , maybe it had been over heated . I would like to know what Yanmar it is , the ad said single diesel I hope that men't there was only one diesel and not that it was a single cylinder . I know nothing about hydraulic steering , knowing nothing about something scares me . But then PCS has a excellent reputation and is still in business so maybe it's a good thing . I hope things work out well on this I would really like to see you get Little Wing .
One thing though I don't think it will fit a 25' slip , Sailboatdata has it listed at LOA 27 .33 that is wrong 27.33 is LOD also the beam is 9' something that might be a problem . However I think some of the 25' slips they have are larger beam wise ( they have smaller and larger to accommodate sail and power ) It might fit if does it will be tight . My friend that had the Orion had his in a 30' slip . Last I checked the 30' foot slips at Alomitos they still had a few open . So you see the pattern , don't believe the office go see for your self . Or I can call my buddy Roger the cave man he is on the 30' dock .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2019

My vague recollection of that boat is that about 10 years ago the owner did an extensive cosmetic refurb to the point that the boat looked Bristol, from a distance anyway. Used to see it out sailing quite often, not so much the last few years. The boat was used a little for a couple years then not so much, it may have had an ownership change in that time, current owner may not have been the one who did the work. It doesn't look as well cared for as it used to.

"Just call me TB"
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
My vague recollection of that boat is that about 10 years ago the owner did an extensive cosmetic refurb to the point that the boat looked Bristol, from a distance anyway. Used to see it out sailing quite often, not so much the last few years. The boat was used a little for a couple years then not so much, it may have had an ownership change in that time, current owner may not have been the one who did the work. It doesn't look as well cared for as it used to.
Yea, The PO posted on here a bunch from 2008-2011 detailing all his work. Unfortunately, he passed away and the boat was sold in an estate sale to an owner from the East coast.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
My friend had a PSC Orion , he sailed it down to Mexico by himself , funny story I'll tell it to you sometime . Anyhow he made it down fine and then he decided to hire a delivery guy to bring it back and that did not go so well but the stuff that went wrong was stuff that could go wrong on any boat that was not ready for off shore work . Well he wasn't that far off shore but coming back up the coast from Mexico can get pretty ruff , this was a while back one thing I remember was the head stay broke (the mast did not come down) .
The boat you are looking at looks very well maintained at least the bright work and canvas look good as well as the interior . The fact that the engine was over hauled at 750 hrs is odd , maybe it had been over heated . I would like to know what Yanmar it is , the ad said single diesel I hope that men't there was only one diesel and not that it was a single cylinder . I know nothing about hydraulic steering , knowing nothing about something scares me . But then PCS has a excellent reputation and is still in business so maybe it's a good thing . I hope things work out well on this I would really like to see you get Little Wing .
One thing though I don't think it will fit a 25' slip , Sailboatdata has it listed at LOA 27 .33 that is wrong 27.33 is LOD also the beam is 9' something that might be a problem . However I think some of the 25' slips they have are larger beam wise ( they have smaller and larger to accommodate sail and power ) It might fit if does it will be tight . My friend that had the Orion had his in a 30' slip . Last I checked the 30' foot slips at Alomitos they still had a few open . So you see the pattern , don't believe the office go see for your self . Or I can call my buddy Roger the cave man he is on the 30' dock .
From the PO's previous posts, the engine is a Yanmar 2QM15.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-10-2019

Ha , that is the engine we have .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2019

Very nice boat. Hard for me to justify over 30 big ones for a 28' boat but that boat would justify it.

Don't know how the slip size came into the discussion. Assume the marina has a size range for their slips. In Oceanside my slip is for 25' but allowed to go up to 29'. My 28' Sabre just squeezed in. If you have a max length limit, be sure and measure the boat. Pulpits, anchors, and actual length of the boat may put you beyond the allowable length for your slip. For me it was critical, The next size up boat slip waiting list is years long so I would've been SOL for a sip within 40 miles.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2019

It does seem to be a nice boat. it is 27' and it has a bow sprit that looks 2.5'. if is just under 30 feet it may be to long for a 25' slip. in Dana Point and most other SoCal marinas 25' slips are available but 30 foot and above is a long wait list. most allow a 3' overhang longer then the slip length. The slip fees are based on the actual boat length including the bow sprit and any thing on the stern. they measure the boat and round off the overall length down to the nearest 6"s. There may be some slips in Newport Beach that are available but rent is a bit higher then the other county or city run marinas. Alamitos bay is run by the city of Long Beach and Dana point is am Orange county run marina

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 04-11-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in