Original Head on PSC 34 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Re: Original Head on PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I just cut the hose with a dremal cutting blade in the middle and then then carefully cut lengthwise at the end so so it would easily break loose. The original hoses had some blue sealant that prevented just being able to twist it off. Newer hose is much easier to work with. Pick a breezy day so youíll have some fresh air flowing through the cabin.
Thanks, I'll bring my Dremel tool tomorrow. I've been using a sawzall and multi-tool, but a Dremel is a good idea too. Especially in the really tight places for those short pieces stuck on a barbed fitting.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago
deisher6

I removed the Groco head, hoses, pump, and all fittings except the trough hulls and replaced them with a composting head. I think that the PO had an incident in the head, took about 6 months for the smells to go away. Made a new lid for the holding tank. After cleaning it out I sprayed it with Kilz sealer several times. Again the smell lingered. Unfortunately I did the work in the summer, Winter / Spring in Cleveland is a good time.

regards charlie
PSC 34
Windrunner
post #13 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I removed the Groco head, hoses, pump, and all fittings except the trough hulls and replaced them with a composting head. I think that the PO had an incident in the head, took about 6 months for the smells to go away. Made a new lid for the holding tank. After cleaning it out I sprayed it with Kilz sealer several times. Again the smell lingered. Unfortunately I did the work in the summer, Winter / Spring in Cleveland is a good time.

regards charlie
PSC 34
Windrunner
Thank you Charlie. I was considering using an epoxy barrier coat to try and block out any odor that had permeated the tank itself, but I've used Kilz in houses and it usually works. Wow, maybe the PO did have a serious incident in the head.

I took all the teak doors off to varnish them at home. Driving them home, and even with them in the garage, 'that smell' was there. Everything gets permeated with the odor. That reminds me that I need to take some Odoban with me today when I go to the boat to finish removing the last couple of hoses. I'll wipe down everything with Odoban, that kills all kinds of nasties. When I helped out at the local Humane Society we'd use Odoban to clean the kennels. That stuff does a great job.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

post #14 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to it yet. I do know that the first season that I owned the boat, I managed to pressurize the holding tank to the extent that when I opened the clean out on deck, had I not opened it slowly and the pressure was relieved, I would have been covered in $hit. A full gauge might have helped me to avoid that mistake. I'll check once I get to that point.
I found it .

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seala...66?recordNum=3

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #15 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Thank you Mark. That would certainly help prevent me from overloading the tank again. Part of my problem is that I have only been day sailing, which means infrequent use of the head. So I lose track of how many flushes.
Markwesti likes this.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #16 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I've gotten all the old hoses off and have started to clean and prep the space for new paint.

I've got two questions. I've looked at the lid of the holding tank and it is some type of plex or plastic (similar to the lids used on the water tanks of a PSC, of this vintage). There are several dozen screws and the lid does not leak. I'm thinking that it might be smart to simply leave it alone, rather than open it up and try to clean it out. An alternative is to cut a hole and put in an inspection port, which would allow me to do some cleaning and if I made it a clear inspection port, I could possible see when it's full.

Second, the attached drawing is from the PSC34 manual and shows the plumbing for the head. The Y after the vented loop has no valve on it. To divert from the holding tank to overboard, one closes the valve on the holding tank and opens the valve near the seacock. The hose that runs to the seacock is a run of about 5 foot or more. It seems like that would always have sewage in it when using the holding tank, and could quickly permeate the hose (even though the Raritan hose has a 5 year no permeation guarantee). Would it make sense to replace the Y with a Y-valve?
Attached Thumbnails
Head plumbing.png  

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #17 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago

My 2005 31 has a Y-valve. I would be reluctant to add a view port, seems like itís just another place for leaks and odors to escape.

PS31#111 Cielo Azul
post #18 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Bill,

My setup is the same as yours. I've often wondered why Pacific Seacraft did it this way as it certainly isn't ideal for permeation. I guess using the Trident hose helps. When I replace the hoses, I will probably put in a y-valve.

Regarding the tank, there is a procedure for sealing the lid that has appeared on this forum a few times. My impression is that it is not so easy to get a good durable seal. So unless the holding tank is leaking, I would avoid taking off the lid. I wonder if it is possible to clean out the tank by half filling it with water and some special detergent, and then going for a sail in boisterous conditions?

Joost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #19 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
My 2005 31 has a Y-valve. I would be reluctant to add a view port, seems like it’s just another place for leaks and odors to escape.
Thank you teejay. Maybe PS realized their oversight by the time they built your boat. Mine is a 1994 vintage. Yes, I agree, an inspection/view port would be a risk. I'm leaning against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
Bill,

My setup is the same as yours. I've often wondered why Pacific Seacraft did it this way as it certainly isn't ideal for permeation. I guess using the Trident hose helps. When I replace the hoses, I will probably put in a y-valve.

Regarding the tank, there is a procedure for sealing the lid that has appeared on this forum a few times. My impression is that it is not so easy to get a good durable seal. So unless the holding tank is leaking, I would avoid taking off the lid. I wonder if it is possible to clean out the tank by half filling it with water and some special detergent, and then going for a sail in boisterous conditions?

Joost
Thank you Joost. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one wondering about why they did the plumbing without cutting off the possibility of allowing sewage to sit in the hose. One way of preventing that is to regularly purge that line, but then it would presumably just fill up again on the next flush.

The only thing I was wondering about was that since the design of that actual joining of three hoses is with a T-coupling (not a Y as implied in the drawing), and the line to the overboard discharge comes off the side of the T-fitting, maybe they felt that the flush would predominantly go to the holding take hose (which is fitted to the bottom of the T-fitting). See photo.

I agree with you on the resealing of the tank lid. I cleaned out the aft water tank and removed the lid to do so. It was a pain to get a good seal on it, my first attempt had a leak. With fresh water that's just an annoyance, but with holding tank effluent, quite another story. I like your idea of filling it with water and then going for a sail. Plenty of boisterous days out on Lake Erie.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3159.jpg  

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

Last edited by elliowb; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:21 PM.
post #20 of 28 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

We are pretty close to the West Marine recommended system.

Everything always goes into the holding tank. We do have a vented loop between the head and holding tank as the lip of the toilet bowl is lower than the top of the holding tank. We have a Henderson diaphragm pump for discharging the holding tank as I consider it more reliable than an electric pump. The through hull is kept shut and padlocked inside the USA. Outside the USA the system allows us to choose the time and place of making an overboard discharge.

The level in the tank is monitored with a SCAD/Ferriello gauge. We have both the external tape sensor and the PVC internal pipe sensor. We are currently using the pipe sensor. We have a 4" Beckson clear deck plate in the tank top below which hangs a fishing bobber. If I can see the bobber floating, the tank is full.

The tank is full.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
elliowb likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in