Original Head on PSC 34 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 46 Old 03-10-2020

Re: Original Head on PSC 34

Bill, thanks - this is very helpful. The smell isn't too bad yet, but seems worse than in previous years. Not a job I'm looking forward to...

Joost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 03-10-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
Bill, most likely I'll be replacing the sanitation hoses in my boat this spring. I noticed some of the old hoses are cracked and the small is noticeably stronger than before.

How is the sani-flex working for you? Are you still happy with it? A few more questions if you don't mind. What is the inner diameter of the hose you used? Is it 1.25 or 1.5 inch? How much hose did you need? And how much time should I budget for this? I think you used a dremel tool to remove the hoses from their fixture - how did you prevent scoring the fixtures?

Thanks!
Joost
I prefer the trident green stripe hose. 12 years since the replace and still no smell. The trick is fresh water rinse, leave no effluent in the line, and we have 2 vents for the tank.

https://www.downwindmarine.com/Marin...-90891025.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #33 of 46 Old 03-11-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Bill, thanks - this is very helpful. The smell isn't too bad yet, but seems worse than in previous years. Not a job I'm looking forward to...

Joost
In my case, the job was not as bad as I had built it up to be in my head (no pun intended).
jvlassak likes this.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

post #34 of 46 Old 03-11-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I prefer the trident green stripe hose. 12 years since the replace and still no smell. The trick is fresh water rinse, leave no effluent in the line, and we have 2 vents for the tank.

https://www.downwindmarine.com/Marin...-90891025.html
Looks like nice hose too. How is it to work with?

I agree, fresh water rinse and lines that don't have any low spots are essential. Despite that, there are always spots, for instance the hose that goes up to the deck plate, where there will be effluent sitting in the hose. Then it simply comes down to how long before it penetrates the hose wall.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #35 of 46 Old 03-25-2020

Which composting head did you go with and are you satisfied? No odors?
post #36 of 46 Old 03-25-2020
Barquito

post #37 of 46 Old 03-25-2020
deisher6

TQUIG: We installed an Air Head because of its slightly smaller size. It fills up the head compartment but works OK as far as size. It does not smell. After some usage we quit adding toilet paper and it seems to work better. Was did smell for about 1.5 years was left over smells from the previous head. Smells lingered even after removing all hoses, cleaning and sealing the inside of the holding tank.
regards charlie
PSC-34
Windrunner
post #38 of 46 Old 04-08-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Bill, most likely I'll be replacing the sanitation hoses in my boat this spring. I noticed some of the old hoses are cracked and the small is noticeably stronger than before.

How is the sani-flex working for you? Are you still happy with it? A few more questions if you don't mind. What is the inner diameter of the hose you used? Is it 1.25 or 1.5 inch? How much hose did you need? And how much time should I budget for this? I think you used a dremel tool to remove the hoses from their fixture - how did you prevent scoring the fixtures?

Thanks!
Joost
Finally got some measurements for you on lengths. I'd say that 25 feet would take care of you, if you don't include the direct overboard discharge (I got rid of that line, following Bill Murdoch's suggestion). Seven feet from the head to the vented loop, 5 feet from the vented loop to the tank, another 5 feet from the bottom of the tank to the cleanup, and then 3 feet on the tank side of the pump and 4 feet from the pump to the discharge thru hull. All of those are rather generous measurements so you'll have a little left over more than likely.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #39 of 46 Old 04-08-2020

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the measurements - 25 feet is exactly how much hose I got. I'm actually in the middle of the project right now. I decided to keep the direct discharge line, mainly as a backup system, but am installing a Y-valve instead of that T-fitting. That way the direct discharge is always closed off except when we need to use it for some reason. Removing the old hoses was a pain...

Thanks,
Joost
elliowb likes this.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #40 of 46 Old 04-08-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the measurements - 25 feet is exactly how much hose I got. I'm actually in the middle of the project right now. I decided to keep the direct discharge line, mainly as a backup system, but am installing a Y-valve instead of that T-fitting. That way the direct discharge is always closed off except when we need to use it for some reason. Removing the old hoses was a pain...

Thanks,
Joost
I think that you'll be glad that you made the change. It's so much nicer to open up the boat and not smell or have to apologize to a guest for the 'boat smell.' Make sure that you use some sort of bleach or disinfectant (I used Odoban) and wipe down all the interior spaces under the sink and the vee-bunk. Mine were pretty saturated with odor.

One other think you might consider, while you're at it. I didn't have any way of knowing whether the holding tank was full. I installed a clear, 4" inspection port in the lid of the tank. Seal it VERY well though.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in